The Student Room Group

Public vs Grammar vs Comprehensive

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Vondas
I attended a public, selective grammar school and a comprehensive school previously. The two schools were worlds apart, the differences were vast. My experience has taught me a very important lesson, and that is to NEVER, under ANY circumstances, send a child to a comprehensive school because generally speaking, these types of schools tend to attract vast numbers of people who come from low social class backgrounds. We're talking about thugs and all kinds of bratty teenagers, people who bully others, people who abuse teachers, people who disrupt the class environment. I have to be fair however, because the quality of the teaching at my comprehensive school was very good, it wouldn't be fair of me to take issue with that. However, my experience there has scarred me for life and has left me utterly bitter and very hateful towards delinquent children from low social classes who come to school to bully people, abuse teachers and disrupt learning. These juvenile delinquents need to be segregated and sent to special schools where they won't be able to ruin the school experience for civilised people who actually want to get something out of school.

My experience at the grammar school was exemplary, I cannot think of a single negative experience during my years there. Immediately I was able to see a huge difference in the standards of achievement, behaviour and civility. I can't emphasise just how vast the difference was between the two schools that I attended.

I'm happy to say that I've learned a very important life lesson. Comprehensive schools must be avoided like the plague. I feel very strongly on this topic, I have immense hatred for misbehaved schoolkids. I hate them with a passion, with every fibre of my being.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have immense hatred for bullies as well. Picking on someone, for most of the times, for no good reason. What a life!! Good thing some of them end up in jail and I think all of them should. Aren't you are bound to find some bullies in public and grammar schools though?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by intelligent con
Comprehensive because the other 2 are filled with toffs who don't live in the real world and would get their heads kicked in if they went to a comprehensive

It's not just that their toffs, It's also the lack of knowledge in common acronyms of slang. Slang acronyms is pretty much a big aspect of today's society;
lol =/= lots of love
lol = laugh out loud
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 22
Original post by JamjamjamT
Some people think that sending their kids to a top state school or a top/posh private school will make the kids smarter because of the smaller class size and teacher/pupil contact time. That is not the case. My parents have friends who co own a business that is doing very well. Before we moved my sister was in school with one couple's son (same class) and when we moved to our new school she was in a class with the other couple's daughter. The first couple took their son out of the primary school and put him a very expensive and high performing private school. Poor kid hated it there because he was not as clever as the other kids and just could not keep up with the workload and nightly homework. He lasted about six months before going back to the local primary school. I have heard of plenty more cases like that as well.

I would like my kids to go to a top school but I have no problem with them going to the state schools either.

With all respect that is just anecdotal evidence.

Kids who go to top public schools generally do better than kids who go to a comp. I was speaking to an Etonian couple months back who said every year they send over a 100 boys to Oxbridge. Children don't necessarily go into Eton smart, but after 7 years of top teaching they come out of it with the kind of mind that just does well in life. This is true for all the top public schools, and most private institutions in general.
Grammar schools do better than a lot of independents, but that's because the kids there were more clever in the first place.
Reply 23
Original post by Raymat
I have immense hatred for bullies as well. Picking on someone, for most of the times, for no good reason. What a life!! Good thing some of them end up in jail and I think all of them should. Aren't you are bound to find some bullies in public and grammar schools though?

You are of course correct, I imagine it's possible to find examples of bad behaviour even in some of the more highly regarded schools. My severe experience has clouded my judgment on this topic, it's a topic that I feel very strongly about. As I pointed out before, I did not encounter a single instance of bullying, disruptive behaviour or any sort of uncivilised act in the grammar school that I attended, while I was bullied daily at my former school and targeted by large gangs of very dangerous thugs. It was five years of hell, no word of a joke.

It's every parent's responsibility to make sure that they are sending their child to a school where they won't suffer a horrible ordeal each day. Parents from deprived, low social class backgrounds can continue to send their chav children to rough comprehensive schools, I do not object to that. However, people from the civilised portion of society should make every effort to avoid those very schools that attract the vermin of society. People do not approve of a divided society with an upper class and a lower class, but I object to this view. I think society needs more division. By widening the gulf between the lower classes and the upper class, it's possible to maintain high standards in the latter and to preserve their wellbeing and to create a better world for them, a better life.
Original post by Raymat
What are the main differences between a public school/sixth form

Class sizes of 5-12, averaging about 8.

Original post by Raymat
and a grammar school/sixth form.

Class sizes of 8-30, averaging about 18.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by intelligent con
Comprehensive because the other 2 are filled with toffs who don't live in the real world and would get their heads kicked in if they went to a comprehensive

I go to a grammar school and lel you're so wrong.

Having been to comprehensive from the start up until year 12 before moving to a grammar school, grammar is much better. The teaching is generally better (however there's always exceptions), and you're surrounded by students who do well and generally go to a good university. For the bit that matters, education, grammar schools are a much better environment to be in.

That said it might be even better going private, but I've never been to a private school. The fact that you pay for your education probably means it's better, but I think grammars usually perform better on the whole
Original post by zimbo97
With all respect that is just anecdotal evidence.

Kids who go to top public schools generally do better than kids who go to a comp. I was speaking to an Etonian couple months back who said every year they send over a 100 boys to Oxbridge. Children don't necessarily go into Eton smart, but after 7 years of top teaching they come out of it with the kind of mind that just does well in life. This is true for all the top public schools, and most private institutions in general.
Grammar schools do better than a lot of independents, but that's because the kids there were more clever in the first place.

Do you think that one advantage of public schools over grammar schools is the networking? Good networking can strongly enhances someone's chances of a better career.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by AstroNandos

Having been to comprehensive from the start up until year 12 before moving to a grammar school, grammar is much better. The teaching is generally better (however there's always exceptions), and you're surrounded by students who do well and generally go to a good university. For the bit that matters, education, grammar schools are a much better environment to be in.

That said it might be even better going private, but I've never been to a private school. The fact that you pay for your education probably means it's better, but I think grammars usually perform better on the whole

Do you think that one advantage of public schools over grammar schools is the networking? Good networking can strongly enhances someone's chances of a better career.
Original post by Raymat

ooo
By networking do you mean contacts to certain people/places? Probably, but I haven't been to a public school so I can't know for sure.

However that doesn't mean the networking at grammar school isn't bad
definitely public and certainly not comprehensive. I wouldn't want an animal at a local comprehensive although grammar schools are great too
Original post by Raymat
It's not just that their toffs, It's also the lack of knowledge in common acronyms of slang. Slang acronyms is pretty much a big aspect of today's society;
lol =/= lots of love
lol = laugh out loud

Our language is already impoverished enough. There's nothing more unattractive than seeing a bunch of hoodrats speak slang language and smoke weed taking pictures in their car.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AstroNandos

But I've seen private school kids go to Nottingham trent/ Oxford brookes which you may find risible

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Vondas
You are of course correct, I imagine it's possible to find examples of bad behaviour even in some of the more highly regarded schools. My severe experience has clouded my judgment on this topic, it's a topic that I feel very strongly about. As I pointed out before, I did not encounter a single instance of bullying, disruptive behaviour or any sort of uncivilised act in the grammar school that I attended, while I was bullied daily at my former school and targeted by large gangs of very dangerous thugs. It was five years of hell, no word of a joke.

It's every parent's responsibility to make sure that they are sending their child to a school where they won't suffer a horrible ordeal each day. Parents from deprived, low social class backgrounds can continue to send their chav children to rough comprehensive schools, I do not object to that. However, people from the civilised portion of society should make every effort to avoid those very schools that attract the vermin of society. People do not approve of a divided society with an upper class and a lower class, but I object to this view. I think society needs more division. By widening the gulf between the lower classes and the upper class, it's possible to maintain high standards in the latter and to preserve their wellbeing and to create a better world for them, a better life.

One pf the best answers:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Missed out private (not public). depends on the individual school. My local private isn't much better than the local academy so in my opinion academy and buy a Ferrari.
Original post by coconuthead--
Our language is already impoverished enough. There's nothing more unattractive than seeing a bunch of hoodrats speak slang language and smoke weed taking pictures in their car.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeh so true but it can be a bit funny sometimes when some posh individuals are unable to understand some of the stuff that these working class lads say. It can actually be really annoying when the slang, along with the style of speaking, goes too far.
Original post by Raymat

Of course Raymats. That's common sense literally :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Raymat
Yeh so true but it can be a bit funny sometimes when some posh individuals are unable to understand some of the stuff that these working class lads say. It can actually be really annoying when the slang, along with the style of speaking, goes too far.

Social conformity obviously peer influence vthese lower classes want to fit in...to the bully that rules the comprehensive out of the poor kids that attend there and have to put up with nonsense. But social mobility is improving vastly. What's funny when they write likevthough "doe"/yo piff tinh

Posted from TSR Mobile
It depends on where I live. I would look into all three types and would send my child(ren) into the best school available. Although, if the best one was private - it would be boarding for them!
Is public private? ?? I sound thick...but my grammar school everyone is so motivated and it's such a nice environment. You would never get teased or bullied for being smart labelled as a "nerd/geek"...etc

Posted from TSR Mobile
My local grammar school is highly selective and pumps out about 20 Oxbridge candidates per 180-ish students every year. The closest public school is hardly selective at all (if you can pay, you're in) and they equalize this amount with less students. I think the selective nature of grammar schools is what makes them so great, everyone there is bright. At most public schools this isn't the case, but with the amount of money and resources they have they can put a lot more time into each student. Comprehensive schools definitely vary by area. In some places they are excellent, whereas in others they aren't so great.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending