The Student Room Group

Is it realistic to apply to just one university?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LillyLisaa
What..?

The chances of getting an offer from a Russell Group university is lower than getting one from an ex-polytechnic. E.g. Getting offer from King's would be harder than getting one from Huddersfield.
Original post by LillyLisaa
Hallam? :P I'm pretty sure I'll be able to get the grade requirements but I don't know how I'll get my personal statement to stand out..

No not Hallam , just Sheffield uni , i have to get ABB , i think im confident personal statement wise since iv'e been interested in the area for 6 years now , so ill be able to pinpoint alot.
Original post by Raymat
It depends how prestigious the university is. If you're applying to something like a Russell Group university then you're being unrealistic applying to only one. If you're applying to a university like an ex-polytechnic then it would be realistic to apply to only one.

No, it depends on the strength of the application. Prestige is irrelevant.

If they have very good academics and extra-currics and meet/surpass the entry requirements then there's no reason why they can't apply to a Russell Group uni regardless of it's perceived 'prestige'.

I applied to a RG for my first degree. I actually had lower grades than the entry reqs on their website but ultimately admissions take into account the whole application. It was my only choice and I was offered a place and subsequently graduated. It really depends on the individual applicant. Not all RGs are the same in terms of how strict they are about entry reqs either.
Reply 23
Original post by somethingbeautiful
I was just about to post a thread with the same title OP!
Personally, I think if you are able to re-locate then you really ought to use your 5 choices to ensure that you have the best chance of getting a place. You've got nothing to lose by adding another 4 choices. :smile:

While this thread is here, it saves me starting another very similar one so in my circumstances what would you recommend....

I'm a graduate and as such I have very little possibility of relocating. There is only one uni in my city that offers the degree I want to study. There are other unis that offer the course in other cities in the region but realistically I don't see how I could study there because I couldn't afford to relocate and the travel costs would wipe out my savings (especially with placements!). So I'm thinking of applying for one course at one uni and specifying that in my personal statement and writing about what I like about the specific course and the specific uni.
There must be other grads doing second degrees who've experienced this...

Did you apply to the one university and get accepted?
Reply 24
My son is thinking of only applying to one university (our local one as he doesn’t want to move out) - just wondered if you only applied for one in the end and how it worked out for you? Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending