The Student Room Group

Choosing my GCSE Options!

Hey!
So...I've got until beginning of April to submit my GCSE options
:smile:
We get to choose four options, fifth is th reserve. At the moment I am thinking of doing:
Geography
Sports science
Spanish
Drama
reserve: Business Studies

Please can people go in to more detail about these subjects, as i'm still unsure of whether I have made a good decision with the ones I am thinking of doing:s-smilie:
Reply 1
Hi,

As I am doing my GCSE exams next year, I have chosen my options. Personally, I chose Geography, Art and RS as well as the English's, Maths and Triple Science. I would advise you to do the subject YOU currently ENJOY. This is the main reason for choosing subjects, as if you don't like them why would you want to learn MORE about them.

In geography, it is quite interesting as you learn about various things such as how the earth was formed and things like volcanoes work. I really enjoy RS (also known as RE) as you get to know different views on debatable topics such as abortions and murder. People are often put off by taking RS/RE as they think its all about religion, but thats not the case entirely.

At the end of the day, take the subject you ENJOY and ask your teachers for what the GCSE COURSE will be like. This is because different exam boards (such as AQA, Edexel etc.) do slightly different things.

Hope this helped x
(edited 9 years ago)
Hi!

I'm taking my GCSEs next year. I have no clue about anything career-wise, so I chose the subjects I enjoyed. Your school sounds quite good as we couldn't take Sports Science or Business Studies. I probably would've taken Business if I could've.

The subjects I've chosen are Italian, French, Art and Geography.You've got quite a good variety of subjects there and as long as you think you'll come out with a good grade and you enjoy them then they are right for you. If you're still confused, try asking your teachers for more help about the different things the course will offer and the benefits.
Hi, I'm in Year 11, so I'm taking my exams this May, and I chose Art, Drama, German and Modern History. My main advice is stick with subjects you enjoy. I think you have a good, balanced combination, however be aware that Language GCSEs involve a lot of hard work to get good marks in, however they do look good when applying for Sixth Forms/Universities, even if you don't do them at A-Level. I can't say much for Geography or Sport Science, however I don't think many schools offer Sport Science GCSE so thats something that can make you stand out, particularly if you like it and want to take that further. Drama GCSE is good fun, and it has helped me improve my confidence a lot. For my Drama GCSE, a lot of coursework is involved, however GCSEs are being changed, so I'm not sure if yours will involve coursework.
Hope I helped! :smile:
Drama is a great subject, a lot of work sometimes, but really good fun. In my school, all the classes are really close - which makes rehearsals a lot less stressful! It is a really good opportunity to explore your creativity: the briefs (at least on OCR) are vague enough that you can create almost anything.

A lot of people complain that a good grade in drama relies on who is in your group. Depending on your exam board, there is often the opportunity to work alone or even write rather than perform, which gets rid of that problem. :smile:

I wouldn't worry about taking a language GCSE. I do two - the second being an extra choice - and I find them fine. Languages are very worthwhile subjects which some universities will look for.

From what I can comment on, you have a good set of subjects there. :biggrin:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5
Ok, thank you for the advice everyone.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm currently studying for my A2 exams and for GCSE I took History, ICT, Triple Science, Drama and Spanish.
Doing a language looks so good when applying for sixth form/college/job/uni and it's also super interesting if you enjoy it. Drama is a lot of work and effort but despite this, for me, it was a 'relax' from my other academic subjects because of how much fun it can be. You've got a great set of subjects with a language and humanity and with sport and drama, you've got a variation and this is something that higher education people look highly upon.

Make sure you enjoy them ALL as you'll have to put in a lot of time and effort for the next two years, also if you're wanting to possibly go on to study at uni it would be super helpful to look at what courses you're interested in look for so that you can carry those subjects on at A-level if required, just a thought :smile: good luck!
Reply 7

Quick Reply

Latest