The Student Room Group

Textiles or food? gcses!

I am year 9, and soon to be transitioning to y10 (gcses). However I am stuck on the open option and don't know if I want to choose DT textiles of Food technology. I have gotten straight 8s for Food technology and have gotten compliments and praises from teachers for DT textiles (but haven't got my grade yet + scared if i choose textiles and my grade turns out crappy ill regret it). But ive grown out of food (my passion before) and heard its quite boring and alot of theory. My friends are taking food and I only have few people i know for textiles (although its kind of individual i still dont want to be alone). So I was wondering if anyone could tell me:

1. Is textiles/food hard
2. In your opinion which one is better (i rather if you can be biased)
3. Which is more fun
4. Any tips?

Thanks so much!
(also my dream jobs are chefs or fashion designer , so which one can get me further? )
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 1
Hi there!

I'm afraid I didn't take either of these subjects for gcse but I know people who did. I personally took art for gcse as textiles wasn't an option but I got to take textiles for alevel instead. Hopefully I can help a little :smile:

I would say go for the course you feel happiest in because if you don't enjoy it your grade isn't likely to be as good. Although bear in mind grades aren't everything! If you're unsure of how you're doing, definitely talk to your teachers and find out.

With any art subject you can expect a lot of work. With textiles it's not just about making clothes/working with textures - you'll need to do photography and a lot of drawing. Out of all my gcse subjects I spent the most amount of time on art so you'll find the same with textiles. However, textiles is definitely a fun subject - there are loads of techniques to explore and lots to learn. It can take you many different ways as a career path.

With food tech I have heard it is mostly theory and you have to get your own ingredients but it sounds quite relaxed compared to other subjects. There's not much I can say on it other than that.

Lastly, do not pick a subject just because all your friends are doing it. Choose the one you enjoy most! Who knows, you might make more friends.

Good luck in deciding!
Original post by Olly.
Hi there!

I'm afraid I didn't take either of these subjects for gcse but I know people who did. I personally took art for gcse as textiles wasn't an option but I got to take textiles for alevel instead. Hopefully I can help a little :smile:

I would say go for the course you feel happiest in because if you don't enjoy it your grade isn't likely to be as good. Although bear in mind grades aren't everything! If you're unsure of how you're doing, definitely talk to your teachers and find out.

With any art subject you can expect a lot of work. With textiles it's not just about making clothes/working with textures - you'll need to do photography and a lot of drawing. Out of all my gcse subjects I spent the most amount of time on art so you'll find the same with textiles. However, textiles is definitely a fun subject - there are loads of techniques to explore and lots to learn. It can take you many different ways as a career path.

With food tech I have heard it is mostly theory and you have to get your own ingredients but it sounds quite relaxed compared to other subjects. There's not much I can say on it other than that.

Lastly, do not pick a subject just because all your friends are doing it. Choose the one you enjoy most! Who knows, you might make more friends.

Good luck in deciding!

thank you so much!

Quick Reply

Latest