The Student Room Group

re-applying the year after after being turned down.

Hi

Yesterday I finally received a response from Bristol informing me I was not being given an offer to study their LLB Law course. It wasn't a massive shock or disappointment as I did expect it for a number of reasons.

First of all my GCSE's were pretty average (AAAABBBBBBC) and my AS levels were poor (BBCE). This is my fault as I didn't really revise for either. I (somehow) managed to get predicted AAA for my A2 exams, as well as A grade predictions for my AS resits.

Overall, other than my personal statement and LNAT score (25), my application wasn't very strong. I received offers from all the other Uni's I applied to which were Newcastle, Birmingham, Leicester and Liverpool, but I would really like to go to Bristol. I was planning on potentially having a gap year even though I applied for 2015 entry.

My question is, if I got the 3 As in summer I need to get a place at Bristol, could I re apply and get a place there in 2016? Or is it likely I will be turned down again?

Thanks!
Original post by jacksd
Hi

Yesterday I finally received a response from Bristol informing me I was not being given an offer to study their LLB Law course. It wasn't a massive shock or disappointment as I did expect it for a number of reasons.

First of all my GCSE's were pretty average (AAAABBBBBBC) and my AS levels were poor (BBCE). This is my fault as I didn't really revise for either. I (somehow) managed to get predicted AAA for my A2 exams, as well as A grade predictions for my AS resits.

Overall, other than my personal statement and LNAT score (25), my application wasn't very strong. I received offers from all the other Uni's I applied to which were Newcastle, Birmingham, Leicester and Liverpool, but I would really like to go to Bristol. I was planning on potentially having a gap year even though I applied for 2015 entry.

My question is, if I got the 3 As in summer I need to get a place at Bristol, could I re apply and get a place there in 2016? Or is it likely I will be turned down again?

Thanks!

no one can definitely tell but it is very likely you will get turned down. do you want to risk that and wait another year or go somewhere else. You also have adjustment if you get better grades than your offer so consider that as well
Reply 2
Ah okay :mad: that's a shame. I really want to go to Bristol and it will be even more of a let down if I get the 3 As, wait a year and get turned down again. Don't really know what to do to be honest. Think I'm going to have a year out as I was already planning that and I can decide after.

What about if I applied to them through adjustment, say I got 1A* and 2 As?
(edited 9 years ago)
An A* or two might help convince Bristol next year that you have turned the corner in terms of effort and/or you are improving academically. Any chance of that?

If you get turned down again, so what? If you use the year wisely, it should be a benefit in the long term even if you don't get into Bristol.
Original post by jacksd
Ah okay :mad: that's a shame. I really want to go to Bristol and it will be even more of a let down if I get the 3 As, wait a year and get turned down again. Don't really know what to do to be honest. Think I'm going to have a year out as I was already planning that and I can decide after.

for what its worth I think you should forget Bristol. there is no real difference between that and Birmingham or Newcastle. I would personally look into the others and than make your decision. I would seriously consider Birmingham.
Reply 5
See this is the thing, I'm not massively annoyed becuase I really didn't have a preference in terms of the uni itself (between Bristol and Birmingham), I just want to be in Bristol for other reasons outside of uni (music mainly). So it's not a massive problem for me, especially since I did like Birmingham uni, but I massively prefer Bristol over Birmingham taking all factors in to account.

Original post by ageshallnot
An A* or two might help convince Bristol next year that you have turned the corner in terms of effort and/or you are improving academically. Any chance of that?

Yeah I could definitely get an A*, maybe 2. I'm well ahead with revision and I find it extremely easy to get A*s in one of my subjects. I could see what happens yeah - but, if I was to turn down Birmingham this year and re-apply, would they still accept me?

Original post by ageshallnot
If you get turned down again, so what? If you use the year wisely, it should be a benefit in the long term even if you don't get into Bristol.

That's what I am also thinking - A gap year would be good for me in many ways. I'll have to give this some thought over easter.
You need to find out why you were turned down by them and put that right. If nothing changes in your application to make you a stronger candidate next year, then you will meet with the same fate. Get some feedback, but be prepared to be disappointed.
Reply 7
Yeah I am not getting my hopes up, I am quite the pessimist with things like this. I will call them and ask but I can almost guarantee it was poor academic performance since everywhere else offered me, and my PS was very good (according to everyone I asked). I'll give them a ring anyay. Thanks so much for the help everyone!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending