The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by Anonymous
I don't want this to turn into a religion bashing thread, I genuinely want opinions on whether I made the right choice in leaving my husband and if the blame is mainly on me for the breakdown of the marriage. People of all religions are welcome to reply.

It was an arranged marriage, I only saw him a couple times for a few minutes before getting married however we were texting each other. When we got married, I told him I didn't want anything to happen between us on the first night as I was really scared, we were strangers and I wanted to know him better and he said ok.

i was planning on sleeping with him in the honeymoon, which was three days later anyway. But I started my time of the month on the first night we were there so it didn't happen.

There were things about his personality that made me feel uncomfortable, as time went on he would say more things that pushed me further away from him. The first night of the marriage when I told him how nervous I was during the wedding, he said he was fine, he felt like he was a guest in it instead of getting married. On the first night of the honeymoon, he told me I wasn't normal and when I asked why, he said if he asked a hundred women one thing, they would give the same answer but I wouldnt. I didn't know how to take it so I said nothing.

As time went by, he didn't like me texting my friends so I stopped. If I wanted to go to the shops, I had to ask for his permission and his mums too (she didn't live with us) and I kept getting confused on who I should ask when.

He kept wanting me to change my behaviour and be more talkative and I did. He would always tell me how he was perfect and I had to change (this is mainly due to the non-sex) but change my personality of being introverted too (he was a very confident, extroverted man).

When we argued, he would shout at me but I wouldn't raise my voice because I wanted to be diplomatic, I am really scared of confrontations. He would slam doors on the way out and rev the car engine when speeding away.

I get really bad periods some months and once I was downstairs helping his mum with cooking. I couldn't stand up anymore and crawled up the stairs trying to get to bed. I couldn't reach the bed so I just lay in a foetal position on the floor. He was sleeping at the time and when he woke up he just ignored me and walked past downstairs (this was the first time he ever saw me this bad). Later, that day he told my family (who came for a dinner party) that he wanted them to sort me out because I wouldnt sleep with him. That night, in bed, he told me when he saw me on the floor, he didn't care. His mum told him his wife was on the floor in pain and he shrugged his shoulders.

I did say I was ready twice but both times he rejected me saying I'm not normal to have waited so long (couple months) and I needed to be fully ready.

Anyway, I left him after he kept threatening me with divorce. My family and his family, including him, were saying he wouldn't have reacted like that if I didn't say no to him the first night. So ultimately, I am to blame. I am willing to accept that.

I just want to know if this is how men usually are? It's kind of scared me off men and marriage. Is it my fault for letting things get out of hand? I admit I feel awful that I must have hurt him too by being like this, I tried everything I could to change but kept being told it's not good enough.

I commend you if you've made it this far into reading this, I'm sorry it's so long.

Sister it's not your fault at all. He should be more understanding. I don't think he was ready for marriage.
Thanks for all your replies, I'm sorry I won't be able to reply to them individually so I'll address some points here that have come up:

Someone asked why I need to pay him £1000? He said he won't give me a divorce unless I compensate him for the pain I've caused him.

The issue of who wants the divorce has become blurred. He had threatened me with divorce a couple of times. The third time was after he had a family meeting without me knowing then came back with his sisters to tell me about my shortcomings. This was the first time I spoke up for myself and, from their point of view, they thought me speaking up was me being argumentative. They thought I must have been like that for all my marriage with him and disapproved.

When I brought up the times I was in pain and he would walk out without saying anything, he told me it was my job to make him care. I told him I understood but what about care on a human level, I would have had at least that for strangers, I'm not an animal? He said yes, I am (I admit, my wording in the question may have baited him to react this way). His fam covered it up instantly and told me I needed to change and I was over-reacting and being too sensitive. When I questioned why I was the one who was wrong when he just told me he didn't care, he told me he will be calling my dad in the morning to ask for a divorce which scared me a lot. He walked out slamming the door and revving the engine again to go to his mum's house. The sisters made me go there a few minutes later to apologise to him which I did while crying. They told me I had to save my self-respect and do this otherwise people will talk badly about me (in hindsight, it didn't do me any good as they ended up spreading bf rumours anyway). Then they made me sit there while everyone pretended nothing happened, watching tv and laughing (including him) while I sat there feeling my world was breaking.

The next day, after a lot of thinking and crying, I told him I finally agreed with him that we should get a divorce. Then he told me he didn't mean it and completely backed out which took me off guard. So technically I walked away and I am seen to be the one wanting a divorce. However he had been threatening me seriously before that, so I thought I was agreeing with him.

For those that say I should find someone myself for next time, I don't think I can. It's against my religion to go out with someone (please respect this) and culturally I am now a pariah because of the false rumours they spread that I had boyfriends etc. not to mention I will be a divorcee which in itself is a huge stigma. However due to everyone's advice, I will try to drag out the initial meetings/conversations and duration of time to get to know him if marriage ever happens to me again.

For those that say my fam are terrible, they do love me, it's just the cultural expectations that makes them passive to the issues I am facing. They just handled some things differently to how one would expect, I think they were trying all they could to keep the marriage together and I don't blame them for this. It was all done to pacify my husband and his family so they would take me back. It all comes down to culture and they genuinely thought they were doing what's best for me.

I won't be going back because they have made it clear they don't want me back. I will pay the money as soon as I can save enough. Right now I am unable to leave the house because of anxiety and panic attacks in case I see him or his family outside. My work manager has been understanding and is giving me time to recover. In time, it will sort itself out.

Thank you for your kind words, I mean it. It helps to get opinions from people that are not close to the situation. When everyone around me tells me I am the cause of this, it comforts me to hear kind words even from strangers on the Internet. At the moment, I will have to live with the consequences of my actions at least for a little while. For now, I am holding onto what little hope I have that things will get better with time if I sort myself out.
Reply 122
X

How much was the mahr he gave you?
Original post by Ruh
How much was the mahr he gave you?

He didn't give me the full mahr, just the original 500 pounds when we first got married. I don't care, I don't like talking about money or getting into issues involving it so this doesn't bother me. Makes people greedy.
Reply 124
He didn't give me the full mahr, just the original 500 pounds when we first got married. I don't care, I don't like talking about money or getting into issues involving it so this doesn't bother me. Makes people greedy.

Islamically, you give the mahr of £500 back and he is obliged to grant you the divorce. Don't fall for this "I want £1000 for pain" crap, that's him just being a selfish and greedy idiot. I know you don't want the hassle, but you should really stand up for yourself, sis. If I were you, I would have a go at my family too for not sticking by you, because that's unacceptable. What cultural background are you from and how old are you, if you don't mind me asking? You can still find a husband for yourself (Islamically speaking), you just need a halal way to go about it, such as through an imam or someone acting between you and the potential grooms family.
I'm sorry but your culture is wrong. Not the religion,the culture
Reply 126
OP, seriously, I keep coming back to your thread. It's so upsetting that you have to go through this. Watch this video:

And seriously contact me if you ever need to talk, yes me being a stranger will help. Love you for the sake of Allah swt and I pray that through time this will get easier.
Reply 127
Yes, you did make the right choice.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Because it was seen as I was causing him pain by saying no on the first night therefore every other thing I had happen to me, I deserved.

I agree that perhaps they are right in a sense, it must be a huge blow to the ego if your wife is unable to be intimate with you. Everything else that followed were repercussions of that first night.

**** him and his ego-- not your fault
Reply 129
i'm watching this threat. Not a muslim, but I'm praying for you as a sister and hope you can overcome this soon. inbox me if you need to talk ever. I stand with you!!!
I don't want this to turn into a religion bashing thread, I genuinely want opinions on whether I made the right choice in leaving my husband and if the blame is mainly on me for the breakdown of the marriage. People of all religions are welcome to reply.

It was an arranged marriage, I only saw him a couple times for a few minutes before getting married however we were texting each other. When we got married, I told him I didn't want anything to happen between us on the first night as I was really scared, we were strangers and I wanted to know him better and he said ok.

i was planning on sleeping with him in the honeymoon, which was three days later anyway. But I started my time of the month on the first night we were there so it didn't happen.

There were things about his personality that made me feel uncomfortable, as time went on he would say more things that pushed me further away from him. The first night of the marriage when I told him how nervous I was during the wedding, he said he was fine, he felt like he was a guest in it instead of getting married. On the first night of the honeymoon, he told me I wasn't normal and when I asked why, he said if he asked a hundred women one thing, they would give the same answer but I wouldnt. I didn't know how to take it so I said nothing.

As time went by, he didn't like me texting my friends so I stopped. If I wanted to go to the shops, I had to ask for his permission and his mums too (she didn't live with us) and I kept getting confused on who I should ask when.

He kept wanting me to change my behaviour and be more talkative and I did. He would always tell me how he was perfect and I had to change (this is mainly due to the non-sex) but change my personality of being introverted too (he was a very confident, extroverted man).

When we argued, he would shout at me but I wouldn't raise my voice because I wanted to be diplomatic, I am really scared of confrontations. He would slam doors on the way out and rev the car engine when speeding away.

I get really bad periods some months and once I was downstairs helping his mum with cooking. I couldn't stand up anymore and crawled up the stairs trying to get to bed. I couldn't reach the bed so I just lay in a foetal position on the floor. He was sleeping at the time and when he woke up he just ignored me and walked past downstairs (this was the first time he ever saw me this bad). Later, that day he told my family (who came for a dinner party) that he wanted them to sort me out because I wouldnt sleep with him. That night, in bed, he told me when he saw me on the floor, he didn't care. His mum told him his wife was on the floor in pain and he shrugged his shoulders.

I did say I was ready twice but both times he rejected me saying I'm not normal to have waited so long (couple months) and I needed to be fully ready.

Anyway, I left him after he kept threatening me with divorce. My family and his family, including him, were saying he wouldn't have reacted like that if I didn't say no to him the first night. So ultimately, I am to blame. I am willing to accept that.

I just want to know if this is how men usually are? It's kind of scared me off men and marriage. Is it my fault for letting things get out of hand? I admit I feel awful that I must have hurt him too by being like this, I tried everything I could to change but kept being told it's not good enough.

I commend you if you've made it this far into reading this, I'm sorry it's so long.

If im to be honest it was your fault but atleast you ackowledge that its your fault and arent living with your head in the clouds.
Just make sure you dont make the same mistake twice.
Remember you are a muslim and he is a man
Original post by al_94
Why are you posting this question on this forum you're better of going to an Islamic forum in the marriage section they can give you better advice. I don't know much about marriage but you are supposed to give your husband sex if he desires it. You agreed to marry him if you weren't ready then you shouldn't have done it and you sound like you're not ready for it. When you said you left him are you still married to him or divorced?

Agree with everything in bold.
Making your HUSBAND wait 3 months for sex smh
Original post by matthewduncan
Agree with everything in bold.
Making your HUSBAND wait 3 months for sex smh

What the hell though, it wasn't her fault! She only refused the first few days and then she got her period. Then he started treating her like trash so who could blame her for not wanting to submit herself and give sex to someone like that? Sex is just as much emotional as it is physical, it puts one in a very vulnerable emotional state and I don't think she felt safe and secure with such a horrible guy to be able to give her body to him. I understand that guys need sex, trust me I know, my husband needs it almost everyday! But you have to see it from a girl's perspective as well, for girls it's scary to have sex with a man who you don't like because you can end up having horrible regrets. I'm really glad she didn't lose her virginity to an idiot like him. If a guy wants sex then he should treat the girl properly so she actually feels like doing it. By the way, arranged marriages can work if the families care more for the girl than silly social status and what people are going to say. My family are extremely supportive and will always look out for each other's happiness, there have been 6 arranged marriage in my family out of which 5 have been very successful.

Oh yeah, he has absolutely no right to demand that money from you, ugh he just disgusts me more and more. You should stand up for your rights, and if his family care what people think then make it public and tell people what Islam says about divorcing a wife (how you should do it in a beautiful manner, he can ask for the mahr back but in Islam it's more religious to not even do that and just let her keep it) and then maybe they'll feel ashamed and back down. Stop being so weak and timid, woman up!

Latest

Trending

Trending