The Student Room Group

For all those that hate your Gap Year

I never ever wanted a Gap Year but I'm on one anyway. I don't hate it per se, I like living in Paris I just work too much and want to be at university already. I've met several people on Gap Years who have become disillusioned with it and hate it but feel like they can't express that fact and don't have anybody to talk too. So here's a save haven for all of you that actually hate their Gap Years.
I am also on my gap year an I echo the above poster. I wouldn't say I hate it bit it does get damn boring so I am glad thr the intensive study period has started as it occupies me. Thankfully the days are going by quicker and it is basically university after summer so that's the way I am looking at it. If anyone who is reading This ends up taking a gap year after their exam results didn't go as they liked, then try and bounce back positively.

I know last year I looked at what was in clearing and didn't fancy anything and Made the decision to try for Birmingham uni this year. Keep a calm head it isn't the end of the world
I am on a year out and it is horrible....I wish I never took one...
You can't get any worse than my gap year because you're doing something. All what I did for my gap was practically nothing. I have no job and never had work experience but I always wanted to work though. I took a gap year because I was too chicken to my name forward for uni last year but sure definitely regret it. Taking a gap year was the worst decision I have ever made.
Original post by jamierobinson94
You can't get any worse than my gap year because you're doing something. All what I did for my gap was practically nothing. I have no job and never had work experience but I always wanted to work though. I took a gap year because I was too chicken to my name forward for uni last year but sure definitely regret it. Taking a gap year was the worst decision I have ever made.

Things will/or have look up pal :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by jamierobinson94

I was in a similar position mate. It was horrible not being able to get a job and doing absolutely nothing. Hope something turns up before you go to university.

Take it as a positive though. It will help you stride to work hard at university and not fall into the same trap again.
Original post by Swanbow
I was in a similar position mate. It was horrible not being able to get a job and doing absolutely nothing. Hope something turns up before you go to university.

Take it as a positive though. It will help you stride to work hard at university and not fall into the same trap again.

I turned 20 last December so that makes me an old timer. I do aspergers and clinical depression. I just have very low self-esteem. I never had a girlfriend before and don't have much of social life. I applied for 3 unis becuase I'll be still be living at home to study Photogrpahy 2 unis Coventry rejected my application before they even considered interviewing me, BCU rejected me after my portfolio interview and Wolverhampton rejected me but they were able to offer me with Art & Design with ****ty foundation year. I'm wondering if I done a foundation year at Wolverhampton is it possible to switch universities becuase recently I came to terms that I really want to move out of home. Hopefully things will get better for me but I doubt it.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by tehforum
Things will/or have look up pal :smile:

Thank you but I doubt it. Life is very hard for me at the moment. People tell me things will get better though.
Reply 8
Reply 9
Friends being away has been the hardest part. It's nice to know though that in a few weeks they're all back for a long summer. I haven't regretted taking a year out because it's been nice to read for my subject at my own pace, albeit a bit too slowly - but there's only so much you can do with no exams etc for motivation. It's also been nice to get some money before uni, though I know I prefer to study than work.

I will say though that it has been boring at times, im going travelling in June, but when you've been off school essentially since June last year it's been a while! I'm looking forward to summer though, knowing the slowest part of my year out (January-March) is behind me!

Quick Reply

Latest