The Student Room Group

UCL/Warwick/Durham for PPE

Received all of my decisions from UCAS last week. I now have to choose between UCL, Warwick and Durham, all for PPE.
My initial idea is to firm UCL and put Warwick as insurance.
Being a Swedish student, my offers are a bit different.

UCL offer: 2000 points of A, A in relevant subjects + 7.0 IELTS (Hardest offer)
Durham offer: 19.5 + 6.5 IELTS (Fairly hard offer)
Warwick offer: 17.5 + MVG english 7 or 6.5 IELTS. (Really easy offer)

How would you guys reason?
Reply 1
Original post by Maestori
Received all of my decisions from UCAS last week. I now have to choose between UCL, Warwick and Durham, all for PPE.

they are all pretty great unis, you already said that you want to put UCL as your firm and Warwick as your insurance. if Warwick is really easy for you to achieve then obviously put this as your insurance because it is still a great uni to go to if you don't achieve your firm. have you checked any league tables to see which uni is higher ranked? have you been to London and think it would be good studying there?
Reply 2
Original post by Maestori

I would argue that the degree itself, i.e. the quality of the teaching, will be virtually the same at each of these. They are all, what we call, Russell Group universities.

So if the teaching is pretty equal, really your decision would have to be based on the university itself, e.g. campus or city university? How Big? Accommodation in colleges or Halls of Residence? These are the thing to really consider.

UCL: In my opinion, the whole point of PPE is how flexible it is and you can tailor your degree to what you want - however, UCL seem to have taken all the choice out and have left the course with very little customisation - this is something to consider. Obviously, its in London - its very expensive, this may or may not be something to consider. Also, when visited, i thought it wasn't as friendly as other universities, but I'm sure that was just the open day. Also first year of the course, so unknown about the quality.

Warwick: Main thing to consider here is that it is a campus university - some people find this a bit isolated and claustrophobic - only you can make that choice. Also, I think accommodation is not the best. No sure how flexible the course is.

Durham: A very flexible course and its a city university. The main difference here is that it has a college system - i prefer this, but you might prefer halls of residence. Could be considered a bit far out of the way. Weather is not so great.

Overall, you need to enjoy uni to do well - london is expensive - being low on cash all the time might get you down - Durham is very cheap in comparison. Warwick is campus - might feel isolated? If you don't enjoy the experience, then you probs wont do as well as you should :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by r-t
they are all pretty great unis, you already said that you want to put UCL as your firm and Warwick as your insurance. if Warwick is really easy for you to achieve then obviously put this as your insurance because it is still a great uni to go to if you don't achieve your firm. have you checked any league tables to see which uni is higher ranked? have you been to London and think it would be good studying there?

They're all pretty similar ranked, visited both Durham and UCL. I think I would enjoy living in London, Durham struck me as being quite small and almost too far up north. I'm not really keen on going to Warwick though, because of its location and pretty ****ty student life, even though the course structure is great.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Haza2012
I would argue that the degree itself, i.e. the quality of the teaching, will be virtually the same at each of these. They are all, what we call, Russell Group universities.

So if the teaching is pretty equal, really your decision would have to be based on the university itself, e.g. campus or city university? How Big? Accommodation in colleges or Halls of Residence? These are the thing to really consider.

UCL: In my opinion, the whole point of PPE is how flexible it is and you can tailor your degree to what you want - however, UCL seem to have taken all the choice out and have left the course with very little customisation - this is something to consider. Obviously, its in London - its very expensive, this may or may not be something to consider. Also, when visited, i thought it wasn't as friendly as other universities, but I'm sure that was just the open day. Also first year of the course, so unknown about the quality.

Warwick: Main thing to consider here is that it is a campus university - some people find this a bit isolated and claustrophobic - only you can make that choice. Also, I think accommodation is not the best. No sure how flexible the course is.

Durham: A very flexible course and its a city university. The main difference here is that it has a college system - i prefer this, but you might prefer halls of residence. Could be considered a bit far out of the way. Weather is not so great.

Overall, you need to enjoy uni to do well - london is expensive - being low on cash all the time might get you down - Durham is very cheap in comparison. Warwick is campus - might feel isolated? If you don't enjoy the experience, then you probs wont do as well as you should :smile:

I'm not really disappointed with the recent changes made to UCL PPE since they suit me quite well. The Swedish student loans are very lenient and financing my three years won't be a huge problem. Got reallocated to Butler at Durham which I wasn't really fond of during open days so that's def affecting my decision. Yeah, Durham weather seems awful haha...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending