The Student Room Group

As English Literature: LITB1 Aspects of Narrative revision

Hi all, How much revision have you done and how do you revise for this exam?
My novels are The Great Gatsby and The Kite Runner. Also, my poets are Browning and Tennyson.
Original post by paddy999

Hi all, How much revision have you done and how do you revise for this exam?
My novels are The Great Gatsby and The Kite Runner. Also, my poets are Browning and Tennyson.

Heya, I'm going to put this in the English forum for you as you should get more responses there.You should also check out the forum to see if there's any other threads there which might be helpful to you!http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=82
Hey, I did this exam last year and all the same texts that you are doing apart from Tennyson, as I did Coleridge instead.

To revise I mainly just made sure I knew my books inside out because, although AS isn't a closed book, it saves a lot of time in the exam if you can remember some quotations. Also do practice papers. I think I wrote an answer for almost every question that's ever come up. I also like to read the examiner reports, because they're written by those who will be marking your exam so they tell you what they're looking for and typical mistakes students make.

I hope this helps :biggrin: if you have any text specific questions ask, but I can't promise I'll know the answer. I haven't looked at those texts for a good while aha.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
I am retaking this paper this year. It really helps to identify key words and quotes that you can use when answering, and to practice using these by doing past papers.

Also revising all of your books by theme, and making interconnections between certain key points in each text is really helpful.

Good luck with revision :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by ImogenWillis
I am retaking this paper this year. It really helps to identify key words and quotes that you can use when answering, and to practice using these by doing past papers.

Also revising all of your books by theme, and making interconnections between certain key points in each text is really helpful.

Good luck with revision :smile:

Yeah it did. Thanks.
Reply 5
Hi, yeah I'm doing the same. Thanks, glad to know I'm on the right track/ If you don't mind me asking what grade did you get on the exam? and coursework too?
Hi, yeah I'm doing the same. Thanks, glad to know I'm on the right track/ If you don't mind me asking what grade did you get on the exam? and coursework too?

I don't know if you were talking to me or ImogenWillis but I'll answer you anyway aha. I got an A overall, with 118/120 UMS in the exam and 75/80 UMS in the coursework.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah no worries. I got a C in this paper last year and an A and a B in my coursework. But I am revising in a completely different way, using my friends notes and advice (she got a high A). The past papers I have done this year have been much better as a result.

I got an A* in my A2 mocks so hopefully things will go better this year!
At the moment I'm trying to revise by learning what each questions is asking for e.g. Section 1, question 1 is based on A02 - which is about analysing how the author uses structure, form and language to shape meanings, question 2 is marked mainly on A03 - analysis and evaluation of different interpretations of carefully selected references (e.g. quotes) and also A04 - context which is relevant and integrated well into the essay. Then section B is every A0 except A04. I've also been going through every thread on TSR that's to do with this exam because then you learn what people did wrong and also what they did right. In terms of how much revision, yesterday and today is all I've dedicated to English over the Easter:s-smilie: Because there's no structured way to revise for English I tend to just avoid it.... I also need to go over the novels again to keep them fresh in my mind. If you want a good guide go to http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2167542 and a few post down on this thread someone who got a 120/120 UMS put up a really helpful way of doing the exam, pointing out the key things you should do for each question. Many people say this worked for them so I'm gonna defiantly bare it in mind!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending