The Student Room Group

Has anybody had a positive secondary PGCE experience?

I'm starting a secondary PGCE in September and all I hear is negative feedback. The most common response is "worst year of my life", "horrendous experience" etc. I know there's a high drop out rate and and about 5% of those who do pass choose to never even teach, so what's the deal? Is is always so horrendous? To be honest, I'm put off even starting it. Any good experiences?
Of course there are good experiences :smile: It's just a very steep learning curve that goes like this:
1. You don't know what you don't know
2. You then find out what you need to know and can't believe how much you have to learn
3. You have to practice doing these things, making lots of mistakes along the way

The hardest part for me was making those mistakes (I'm a sad old perfectionist), and of course I still make them now. It's only my opinion, but I think graduates find it hard, reaching the pinnacle of their education, only to go straight back down to the bottom again. You can't go your own way and choose essays or choose your own material for referencing, it's all about jumping through those hoops. And yes, the whole thing is difficult. It's intense. At times, downright ridiculous. Someone once told me I should expect 80% horrendous and 20% amazing with nothing in between.

IMO it's worth it. It was the making of me. And this job is brilliant. Don't let the negative experiences of others put you off.

http://www.theguardian.com/teacher-network/2015/apr/04/secret-teacher-best-jobs-world-moaning?CMP=share_btn_fb
I don't think anyone finds it a walk in the park. It's a challenging year where you have to work really hard and learn a lot.

But I didn't find it horrendous, just exhausting.

Positive aspects of the course for me were:

Really great, supportive tutors at university.

Mentors in school who did their job properly (regular meetings, filling in reports on time, balanced feedback with strengths and targets for development).

Wider departmental support on placements - rather than having just one mentor, I was able to draw on advice from all members of the department which was really helpful.

Realistic expectations - I get the impression that some schools have the attitude that anything less than an outstanding lesson is not good enough. My schools and university tutors all seemed to be looking for potential, and for lessons to be "good for a trainee" - they understood that I would develop over time, not be a fully-formed teacher from day 1.

Schools where pupils generally behaved well. On my KS4 placement I had no real behaviour issues to deal with, which made my 2nd placement a bit of a shock, but they still weren't bad kids really, just silly and trying it on.

Not being expected to teach in a certain style - I was given quite a lot of freedom and opportunities to do things my own way, particularly in the 2nd placement when I was observed a lot less.

Support not bullying at points when I was struggling. In my first teaching week of my Phase A placement, I got to Thursday and was so behind on planning I just completely panicked because I knew there was no way I could plan 3 lessons for the following day - there just wasn't time. My mentor took a couple of lessons back off me, then the following week reduced my timetable so I team-taught a couple of sessions with her, and then we built up to the full timetable again the following week, by which point I was able to cope.

Basically, none of the horror stories of things which could go wrong happened. So I would say I had an overall positive experience, but that doesn't negate the fact that it was really hard work.
I know what you're saying. I'm about to start my first block placement and I'm worried about the stress and work that's about to come my way.

The way I see it is that you have to remember teaching is a long term career. The PGCE is only a very short amount of time, something you just have to get through and then you can really start to learn and develop in your NQT year and beyond. Teaching will never be easy but I imagine the more you do it, the better you get and you'll be more confident and quicker at planning.

You can't just give up on the first hurdle if you're serious about teaching. Yes, take on board what people say but at the end of the day, your experience won't be exactly the same as theirs and you'll make your own judgements as you go through the course. If you don't even try, you'll never know what could have been.
Original post by incywincyspider
I'm starting a secondary PGCE in September and all I hear is negative feedback. The most common response is "worst year of my life", "horrendous experience" etc. I know there's a high drop out rate and and about 5% of those who do pass choose to never even teach, so what's the deal? Is is always so horrendous? To be honest, I'm put off even starting it. Any good experiences?

I know the feeling- I think what you've got to think is that you are not going to know until you start. I have a friend who dropped out during his pgce because it was not right for him, but there are a lot of other people who carry on with it, despite its difficulties! I get the impression from talking to people that teaching is just something you have to try out. I know I like teaching, so have a few backup plans if school teaching doesn't work out (TESOL probably being the primary one). Don't condemn it before you start and go in with an open mind, if it doesn't work out, it isn't the end of the world, but it would seem a shame to not give a career you are really interested a go because you are scared it is going to be hard in the beginning
For me it's been a real mixed bag. Horrendous? Honestly, yes, sometimes. Not all the time though. Let me give you a brief idea:

The first couple of months you're really chilled out. Getting to know the other trainees, doing group work, (some of it feels a bit 'time-waste-y' but that's ok) tiny amounts of homework (I kept thinking...but surely I should have more to do than this??) - and to start with it's quite fun...just seminars, observations, then 'team teaching' a couple of lessons. On our course we spent a few days in different types of schools...special schools, sixth forms, vocational school...really interesting and informative, you get to see lots of types of teacher and student, and teach a tiny amount yourself. Looking back, it was a real 'slow build up'.

Then along comes first placement...the stress starts. You're being observed. Your mentor, your tutors, class teachers...all of them have more knowledge and experience than you. You know you're not going to get everything right but that doesn't make it any less frustrating when observer sees you mess up again. And again. You try to plan engaging lessons, take part in afterschool clubs and do your marking but sometimes that means getting by on 4hrs sleep. In schools, so much is down to personalities. Some teachers are really lovely and will take time out of their busy day to help a confused newbie. Then again,if you accidentally sit in the wrong person's chair in the staffroom? Congratulations, you've made an enemy. If you're lucky your mentor is supportive and understanding...then again they could be power-tripping or just lazy. The kids are great (well, some really aren't) and you try to remind yourself they're the reason you're here.

Just as you're starting to get a handle on that placement, learn some kids' names...woops, it's Christmas, placement over. You have a few seminars and realise a few of the trainees have dropped out. You start to wonder what makes you any different from them. You look in the mirror: tired, haggard. Time for a bit of a rest? Nope, sorry, you've got a major essay to write.

Essay done? Welcome to second placement. New classes (more kids' names...) new mentor. More timetabled lessons, more responsibility. Things might be done totally differently here meaning you have to 'forget' some of what you learnt on first placement. You have small triumphs, but you're still getting stuff wrong in observations. You keep going, staying up late to plan, mark, plan...knowing you'll have a mixture of marking and essay-writing to look forward to during Easter holiday...

You get the picture. Exactly 10% of the trainees on my course have dropped out so far (and we still have a couple of months to go). I'd agree with other posters - the number one emotion we all seem to be feeling isn't sad or discouraged...just TIRED!

[ETA: I added a bit more positive stuff...bear in mind I'm going through this right now and therefore I'm seeing it very 'up close'...I'd imagine in a few months I might have more perspective and see more of the positives!]
(edited 9 years ago)
It's hard to say really. I've had nights (and entire weeks) where I've been pushed to the point of absolute physical, mental and emotional exhaustion and then beyond. Most weeks during term time I've been working literally every waking hour of my day (other than cooking meals and travelling to school) - when I get home each night I work until I fall asleep, and I work the entirety of my weekend. There have been some weeks where I have been worried I will get through all the work I have to: leaving the constant prospect of having to stand up in front of a class with nothing much to do or say a very real threat. Then there's the actual teaching. It's more tiring and difficult than I could possibly have imagined.

The thing is, with half the workload this would be my ideal career. It really is rewarding. It's meaningful. You feel like you're genuinely doing something useful and productive with your life. It also feels like a natural extension of the subject I love (English), and the skills I am constantly having to use (reading and writing namely) are being stretched and honed. Even the aspects of the course like lesson planning can be fun, as there's so much flexibility and creativity involved. But the constant pressure of time doesn't give you a second to actually enjoy what you're doing: it's not that I dislike it, it's more that I'm concentrating so hard on the hundreds of things I feel like I have to remember on a minute-by-minute basis that whether I'm loving or hating the experience seems almost irrelevant.

I'm doing well: currently rated as 'good' in all areas ('very good' in subject knowledge) and the course has only brought me to tears just once, but I'm still waiting for teaching to 'click'. Once that happens - once I become vaguely comfortable - I think I will start being able to enjoy the good bits. I may never get my life back beyond teaching, but that's okay: I knew that was the case before I signed up.

If you want to do it: do it. You can't really know until you try (which is the reason behind the absurdly high drop-out rate). Just remember that teaching is a full-time career, and I mean that in the most literal sense of the phrase possible.
(edited 9 years ago)
about 5% of those who do pass choose to never even teach

This is a massive underestimate.

http://samfreedman1.blogspot.co.uk/2015/04/the-birth-of-zombie-statistic.html
Reply 8

Be prepared to work hard, be prepared to probably want to cry at times and be prepared to have a massive rant about things.

That being said - this has been an exhausting year so far, but I feel so lucky that I am able to do something I love and something that I am passionate about.

Honestly, this year is about finding the small achievements in your day - I got a christmas card from a few members of my form (actually addressed to me as well!) and that made my week.

I'd also like to say that I now rarely work in the week and only work on sunday's - I go out with friends friday and saturday nights and still manage to go home to see my family and friends every few weeks.
(edited 9 years ago)
Worst year of my life would be inaccurate. I wouldn't go that far. The hardest year may be more accurate.

There is a lot of pressure. So many boxes to tick and hoops to jump through. That is what stresses me out the most. The workload has only hit me now. I've managed quite well until now but yeah, I am busy all the time at the moment but there's not long left.I have found it really challenging emotionally. I have mental health problems and in retrospect it probably wasn't the best time to start the PGCE, but the challenge applies to everyone. I've learnt a lot about myself - my strengths and weaknesses, my priorities in life. I've learnt more in this PGCE so far than I did in the whole three years of my useless degree. So it is definitely hands on and effective.

Looking back, from when I was waiting to start my PGCE to present, my worries have completely changed. I think before the PGCE I was worried about workload (it is the main complaint I read on here), social factors (I have social anxiety so was worried about meeting new people and teachers) and my subject knowledge. Now with not long left to finish, none of those three things have been an obstacle for me. My main worries at the moment are completely centred around my targets, and the need to fit them into every lesson when I'm not 100% sure how.

The point is, I was in your position. I was worried about the negativity. Truth be told, it's not been as bad as I had thought it would be. The horror stories haven't matched up to the experience. I don't enjoy it, but that is mainly because I am not devoted to it and I was even considering dropping out before I even started, so I'm not the best example. I am counting down the days and cannot wait to finish. I'm not planning on teaching as a career. I'm applying for jobs but so far haven't attended any of my interviews because I guess my heart is not in it. I'm the only person I know who isn't keen on going into the career though, surprisingly. It seems like when you tell a fellow teacher/trainee that you are not wanting to continue in teaching, it is like a swear word :/
Original post by Airfairy
Worst year of my life would be inaccurate. I wouldn't go that far. The hardest year may be more accurate.

There is a lot of pressure. So many boxes to tick and hoops to jump through. That is what stresses me out the most. The workload has only hit me now. I've managed quite well until now but yeah, I am busy all the time at the moment but there's not long left.I have found it really challenging emotionally. I have mental health problems and in retrospect it probably wasn't the best time to start the PGCE, but the challenge applies to everyone. I've learnt a lot about myself - my strengths and weaknesses, my priorities in life. I've learnt more in this PGCE so far than I did in the whole three years of my useless degree. So it is definitely hands on and effective.

Looking back, from when I was waiting to start my PGCE to present, my worries have completely changed. I think before the PGCE I was worried about workload (it is the main complaint I read on here), social factors (I have social anxiety so was worried about meeting new people and teachers) and my subject knowledge. Now with not long left to finish, none of those three things have been an obstacle for me. My main worries at the moment are completely centred around my targets, and the need to fit them into every lesson when I'm not 100% sure how.

The point is, I was in your position. I was worried about the negativity. Truth be told, it's not been as bad as I had thought it would be. The horror stories haven't matched up to the experience. I don't enjoy it, but that is mainly because I am not devoted to it and I was even considering dropping out before I even started, so I'm not the best example. I am counting down the days and cannot wait to finish. I'm not planning on teaching as a career. I'm applying for jobs but so far haven't attended any of my interviews because I guess my heart is not in it. I'm the only person I know who isn't keen on going into the career though, surprisingly. It seems like when you tell a fellow teacher/trainee that you are not wanting to continue in teaching, it is like a swear word :/

I'm the biggest advocate of only doing what makes you happy ... but I have to ask - would you not even give teaching a year or two? The life of a teacher is different to that of a trainee. As a teacher, I can set my limit and stick to it. I say no when I've done enough and stop when I'm doing too much. I'm freer to do things my way and not as somebody else thinks I should (within reason! lol) Just curious :smile:
Original post by rachel.h
I'm the biggest advocate of only doing what makes you happy ... but I have to ask - would you not even give teaching a year or two? The life of a teacher is different to that of a trainee. As a teacher, I can set my limit and stick to it. I say no when I've done enough and stop when I'm doing too much. I'm freer to do things my way and not as somebody else thinks I should (within reason! lol) Just curious :smile:

I am considering it, but at the moment I'm only looking part time. There is a part time vacancy I'm interested in, but who knows. I don't want to teach full time. I have total disregard for the career as a whole, but wouldn't mind part time for a bit. I don't know yet, I'm sort of in limbo career wise.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending