The Student Room Group

Changing PGCE course

Hi, I've recently started a secondary PGCE course but having doubts about it. I've always imagined myself teaching FE (post 16+) and the idea of teaching high school students really doesn't excite me. I was unaware that at my university they offered a post 16+ PGCE, but found out about it today. The FE course literally only started yesterday, whereas my course is 3 weeks in.

Does anyone have any experience of changing courses early on? Why does this feel like an awkward subject to bring up to my mentors? I'm afraid if I bring it up and it doesn't work, it will negatively impact the rest of my secondary PGCE.

Many thanks
Original post by studen7
Hi, I've recently started a secondary PGCE course but having doubts about it. I've always imagined myself teaching FE (post 16+) and the idea of teaching high school students really doesn't excite me. I was unaware that at my university they offered a post 16+ PGCE, but found out about it today. The FE course literally only started yesterday, whereas my course is 3 weeks in.

Does anyone have any experience of changing courses early on? Why does this feel like an awkward subject to bring up to my mentors? I'm afraid if I bring it up and it doesn't work, it will negatively impact the rest of my secondary PGCE.

Many thanks

I've changed course from PGCE (EY/KS1) to PGCE (KS1/2) on the first day of my course it was very easy and swift, they had no problem with it.

Since your course that you want to change to has started yesterday there no harm in changing courses.
They'll understand that you may not enjoy it.

Even people from my course has dropped out two of three weeks into the course so it's okay.
(edited 7 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending