The Student Room Group

Archaeology and History Question!iF

I really want to be an archaeologist upon leaving university...however I have heard people say that you MUST have a degree in Archaeology and not an MA or just a History degree as it is not acceptable to become an archaeologist out in the field, despite the fact that some of my prospective courses offer modules in archaeology fieldwork!

I was hoping to study Ancient History and Archaeology at uni, but have gradually changed my mind to want to study Ancient and Medieval History instead and apply to Oxford, Edinburgh, Cardiff, Swansea and QMUL (for Medieval History).

Unfortunately, unis only offer Ancient History and (Classical)Archaeology or Medieval History and Archaeology, nowhere offers Ancient and Medieval History and Archaeology and I really don't want to have to study a joint degree in straight History and Archaeology.

So, my big question to you all (as I have no one to ask and Google has not been overly helpful) is: If I do a degree in Ancient and Medieval History and then went on to do an MA in Archaeology, can I still become an archaeologist working in the field at somewhere like the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historic Monuments of Wales??

I appreciate all help given!
If you want to be an archaeologist then it really makes the most sense to study it as part of your degree. I study joint Archaeology and Ancient History and I can't fathom studying one without the other; I believe you need the historical knowledge to interpret the significance of finds during excavation, and you need a sufficient understanding of archaeological practice to evaluate the evidence for "history". Personally I trust archaeology more than texts but I think you need both!

If you are sure you don't want to take it as part of your undergraduate degree then I would suggest taking those modules where possible, skills such as writing artefact biographies are very important.

I don't know about the recruitment processes of any particular companies but put it this way; my supervisor for the last dig I attended (not the site supervisor) didn't have a degree. From what I know experience is far more important that the degree.

I really do recommend having a joint degree rather than a single hons. however, provided you have practical experience then I think a masters degree should bring you up to scratch.

Also, make sure you take a good look at the module choices because there can be a lot of flexibility- within my school of Archaeology, classics and history, I could take any module I please as long as I do my compulsory courses and it fits in with my time table.

experience is key! Not just for the job but so you know that it's the career for you. I only know of one person on my course (out of about 30-40) who still wants to work in the field. If you're sure that you have found the degree course you really want to join then go for it and don't worry about not getting into the field because of it. There will be a way around it.

I hope that made sense, i'm extreamly tired so I hope you could understand my ramblings. Basically if you are sure you want to study a pure history course then do it, I've met plenty of professionals who didn't study it for their undergrad but if you choose to do that gain plenty of experience, take arch modules where possible and maybe look into summer schools to learn the skills you need. Good luck, pm if you want to ask anything- I should make more sense after I've slept!!
x
Reply 2
As far as I know, the most important thing is experience. So whatever degree you do, make sure you get as much practical fieldwork as you can. The more you have, the more likely you are to get a job.

It's also a highly competitive, badly paid career. Just to make sure you're aware.

(I did archaeology at university, and loved it, but would never want to be a field archaeologist - far too much being outside in all weathers for me)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending