The Student Room Group

Any point in taking AS maths in my second year of A levels?

I've decided to drop maths this year and focus on three subjects. But I actually enjoy maths and wouldn't mind taking it in with A2 subjects next year.
Why did you drop it to focus on your other three subjects? A2 subjects will only get harder next year so taking maths as an AS would be harder as you need to focus on your A2s more.

I'd say stick to your AS Maths this year as you'll then focus more for your A2s next year.
Original post by Cherry82
I've decided to drop maths this year and focus on three subjects. But I actually enjoy maths and wouldn't mind taking it in with A2 subjects next year.

Why did you/why are you going to drop it if you enjoy it?
Reply 3
Original post by Toy Soldiers
Why did you drop it to focus on your other three subjects? A2 subjects will only get harder next year so taking maths as an AS would be harder as you need to focus on your A2s more.

I'd say stick to your AS Maths this year as you'll then focus more for your A2s next year.

I left revision too late, after looking over everything I knew that I had to drop one subject and maths would take up too much time. I began studying for it literally 2 days ago and I don't understand core 2. A2 will be harder next year but I am willing to work hard to do AS maths next year.
I left revision too late, after looking over everything I knew that I had to drop one subject and maths would take up too much time. I began studying for it literally 2 days ago and I don't understand core 2. A2 will be harder next year but I am willing to work hard to do AS maths next year.

If core 2 is your only problem take the other two exams this summer and c2 next year. Put less stress on your a2 preparations

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by gdunne42
If core 2 is your only problem take the other two exams this summer and c2 next year. Put less stress on your a2 preparations

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wait, you can do that? How, please explain everything to me. This sounds appealing. Wouldn't it affect my overall grade though for AS maths?
Wait, you can do that? How, please explain everything to me. This sounds appealing. Wouldn't it affect my overall grade though for AS maths?

A levels are currently modular. You will already be entered for the 3 exams. You can be withdrawn from one or all of them if you wish and your school agree.
You can take the 3 unit exams at any time, they don't have to be in the same exam sitting, when you have results for the 3 an AS grade can be calculated and the result awarded. A level maths does not become linear until first teaching in 2017.

Alternatively, sit all 3 now and resit C2 next year if you need to improve the AS grade
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 7
A levels are currently modular. You will already be entered for the 3 exams. You can be withdrawn from one or all of them if you wish and your school agree.
You can take the 3 unit exams at any time, they don't have to be in the same exam sitting, when you have results for the 3 an AS grade can be calculated and the result awarded. A level maths does not become linear until first teaching in 2017.

Alternatively, sit all 3 now and resit C2 next year if you need to improve the AS grade

Ok I think I understand. But when applying for university, what happens when they see that one module is yet to be done?
They would see your predicted result for AS maths providing your UCAS referee was willing to provide one. Just as will see predicted grades for your 3 full A levels. What will they see if you don't do any of your maths AS exams?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just don't turn up for your Core 2 exam - call your school on the day and say that you feel very sick (Food poisoning or something). Say that you don't want extenuating circumstances (If you miss your exams there is a chance the exam board and your school will use the result you got in your mock and also consider your performance on other exams to give you a mark for Core 2).

Just say that you will take it alongside your A2 exams next year. Problem solved :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by L'Etudiant
Just don't turn up for your Core 2 exam - call your school on the day and say that you feel very sick (Food poisoning or something). Say that you don't want extenuating circumstances (If you miss your exams there is a chance the exam board and your school will use the result you got in your mock and also consider your performance on other exams to give you a mark for Core 2).

Just say that you will take it alongside your A2 exams next year. Problem solved :smile:

Lol I wish, my mock grade was terrible :/
I'm screwed either way, but thanks everyone.
Tbh just don't bother with the fourth AS it is not essential. Or do the EPQ in year 13, three As are better than like ABBC because you should get some high predicted A2 grades. I did three AS and Completed EPQ this year, got three As and five offers from Russell groups such as Warwick and KCL for History. Then there's people that did four AS and struggled and maybe even got one U which is worthless

Quick Reply

Latest