The Student Room Group

Insurance claim advice?

About 8 months ago unfortunately I shunted someone up the rear (cue Benny Hill music). Wet conditions, dark, they braked suddenly, didn't see them in time. Braked, ended up shunting them at about - I dunno 10mph or so. Perhaps even lower. If I'd have reacted 1/10 second sooner I might have just come up short a couple of inches (cue Benny Hill music) but I failed.

So I got out and did the usual, details, etc. etc. - got down and looked at their car etc. - there was a slight scuff on their bumper. It was, by the time I'd braked as well as I could, such a slow prang that I was pretty hopeful not much would come of it. Everyone makes a slight error. First time I've had an incident that was my fault, as it goes.

A couple gets out and is very aggressive etc. - anyway we got there in the end and made our own ways after swapping details, taking photos etc.

Assessor comes and looks at my car. says he can't find any damage.

My problem is the couple have now changed their story at least twice according to my insurance company. They're trying to claim for all kinds of stuff. My insurance company keeps phoning me up every two months saying ''Now they've changed their story alleged this and this. Is this true?'' - to which I obviously answer in the negative.

The only other crash I've had wasn't my fault, so this is new to me. What should I do? Just sit it out? I don't understand why all these months later it is acceptable for them to completely change their story? Each time, they're upping the story to try and claim for more money. Anyone else had experience of this?
stick to your guns and don't give in or up

it is always best to take loads of photos ( really easy now with the phone) and don't worry about your car - photo theirs, plus the relative positions in the road.

people sometimes claim for non existent passengers and it is easy if you can show photos that disprove this, or claim for massive damage down afterwards.
This is exactly why you should have a dashcam.
Original post by domonict

it is always best to take loads of photos ( really easy now with the phone) and don't worry about your car - photo theirs, plus the relative positions in the road.

people sometimes claim for non existent passengers and it is easy if you can show photos that disprove this, or claim for massive damage down afterwards.

This. Never admit fault/part fault to a claim
Reply 4
Original post by domonict

Ok, done and done.

Original post by Sgt.Incontro
This is exactly why you should have a dashcam.

Yeah I know. Been a bit strapped for cash recently, but it has been on my mind for a while. Also, I am nagging my parents to get one in their car. Have you any recommendations of model etc. ?

Original post by The Jargen
This. Never admit fault/part fault to a claim

Unfortunately seeing as I went into the back of them my insurance company told me that it was highly unlikely we could go for partial blame. I'm afraid officially I am to blame apparently.

Thanks for the replies, I appreciate it.
Original post by frankieboy

Unfortunately seeing as I went into the back of them my insurance company told me that it was highly unlikely we could go for partial blame. I'm afraid officially I am to blame apparently. Thanks for the replies, I appreciate it.

If it's going to be seen as your fault and the cost of their claim isn't much just pay it back to the insurance company so you don't lose your no-claims bonus.
Reply 6
If it's going to be seen as your fault and the cost of their claim isn't much just pay it back to the insurance company so you don't lose your no-claims bonus.

The claim should be about a couple of hundred pounds (in my humble estimation) - pranging into the back of another car at about 8mph - probably a bit of spraying involved I would have thought. At most, a new bumper + respray.

However, with their latest story, they are claiming that I shunted them right off the road, and this screwed up their front suspension (yes I said FRONT) - and they are attempting to claim a couple of thousand pounds, apparently to have their front suspension competely rebuilt. Think about how hard you'd have to hit a stationary car with its handbrake on to shunt it right off the road. Not to mention it would be pointing forwards, not sideways. I think they're trying to say that I photographed their car AFTER they moved it back into the road or something similar. The lies that this couple are coming up with are flabbergasting.

My insurance company has told me I won't be losing my no claims as it's protected. It's my next quote I'm worried about though. However, this is my first claim so will it put the quote up? I don't know.
The claim should be about a couple of hundred pounds (in my humble estimation) - pranging into the back of another car at about 8mph - probably a bit of spraying involved I would have thought. At most, a new bumper + respray.

However, with their latest story, they are claiming that I shunted them right off the road, and this screwed up their front suspension (yes I said FRONT) - and they are attempting to claim a couple of thousand pounds, apparently to have their front suspension competely rebuilt. Think about how hard you'd have to hit a stationary car with its handbrake on to shunt it right off the road. Not to mention it would be pointing forwards, not sideways. I think they're trying to say that I photographed their car AFTER they moved it back into the road or something similar. The lies that this couple are coming up with are flabbergasting.

My insurance company has told me I won't be losing my no claims as it's protected. It's my next quote I'm worried about though. However, this is my first claim so will it put the quote up? I don't know.

Didn't you take pictures? which could easily show that the car was clearly still on the road

I had a similar accident to you, except it was a frontal collision at about 3 mph, a bit of paint came of both car bumpers. Regardless of who was at fault your insurance WILL go up I was paying £600 yearly and it went up to £1200. So you can expect double whatever you were paying and this stay with you for at least 3 years and at most 5 years.
Yeah I know. Been a bit strapped for cash recently, but it has been on my mind for a while. Also, I am nagging my parents to get one in their car. Have you any recommendations of model etc. ?

The below is literally one of the best dashcams in terms of price/features:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mobius-ActionCam-Full-HD-Sports-Camera-1080P-30FPS-720P-60FPS-Pocket-Camcorder-/151071891306?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item232c961f6a

As you can see, the seller has sold around 20,000 units, which is pretty impressive. I am a member of another UK motoring forum, and its used and recommended by many people. Its also very small, so its more discreet than the larger alternatives out there with screens - less likely for thieves to steal.

Since owning it, I have had no problems whatsoever, works a charm. Thankfully I have never had the opportunity to use it in any accidents *knock wood*.
Original post by Iqbal007
Didn't you take pictures? which could easily show that the car was clearly still on the road

As I mentioned above, by my last phone conversation with my insurers, I think they said that the couple are trying to claim I took pictures of their car AFTER they moved it back into its original position, or some cock and bull story like that. I'm going to have to double check that. The lies these two are coming out with are really far fetched.

I had a similar accident to you, except it was a frontal collision at about 3 mph, a bit of paint came of both car bumpers. Regardless of who was at fault your insurance WILL go up I was paying £600 yearly and it went up to £1200. So you can expect double whatever you were paying and this stay with you for at least 3 years and at most 5 years.

Aw crap in a bucket. That's all I need.

Cheers man. Appreciated.
As I mentioned above, by my last phone conversation with my insurers, I think they said that the couple are trying to claim I took pictures of their car AFTER they moved it back into its original position, or some cock and bull story like that. I'm going to have to double check that. The lies these two are coming out with are really far fetched.

Aw crap in a bucket. That's all I need.

Cheers man. Appreciated.

Isn't the fact that the story has been changing constantly as evidence that they are lying and aren't telling the truth?
I would say you should dispute that with the pictures, and wouldn't going off road be evident by grass and mud on the car.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending