The Student Room Group

Any GCSE students need help or advice?

I'm an AS student and I know gcse's are close and I know how stressed I was, if you have any questions feel free to ask.

good luck and stay calm!

Scroll to see replies

How did you revise GCSE Maths without forgetting it?
[ADD ON; and how to prevent stupid mistakes]
Reply 2
Original post by ckfeister
How did you revise GCSE Maths without forgetting it?
[ADD ON; and how to prevent stupid mistakes]

Practice!!!! It's one of those things that if you do so much of it you look at it and it just becomes second nature. Some things to do to prevent mistakes are to underline the question so you actually know WHAT THEY WANT!

Maths CANNOT be memorised. Do not try to learn it. Practice makes perfect.
Original post by sultanan09
Practice!!!! It's one of those things that if you do so much of it you look at it and it just becomes second nature. Some things to do to prevent mistakes are to underline the question so you actually know WHAT THEY WANT!

Maths CANNOT be memorised. Do not try to learn it. Practice makes perfect.

How much re killsion did you do a day? And when did u start?

i'm trying todo 3h/day, not working well :/
Reply 4
Original post by Calzs34
How much re killsion did you do a day? And when did u start?

i'm trying todo 3h/day, not working well :/

If I am completely honest I procrastinated a lot. I didn't revise till like a few days before the exam because the teacher had not covered the content so I was still learning not revising. I would advise you to do about 5 hours a day because when you get home from school you have the whole night so you NEED to get more than three done. Take breaks, reward yourself after you have done 45 mins of revision. It was PURELY LUCK that got me good grades at GCSE's. NEVER rely on this otherwise you will be so stressed out your hair will fall out!

GOOD LUCK!
If I am completely honest I procrastinated a lot. I didn't revise till like a few days before the exam because the teacher had not covered the content so I was still learning not revising. I would advise you to do about 5 hours a day because when you get home from school you have the whole night so you NEED to get more than three done. Take breaks, reward yourself after you have done 45 mins of revision. It was PURELY LUCK that got me good grades at GCSE's. NEVER rely on this otherwise you will be so stressed out your hair will fall out!

GOOD LUCK!

Thanks for the advice, I'll shall try do 5 hours a day. What would you suggest on weekends? Similar? Or?
How did you revise topics like science? I've made notes on all the topics just struggling to them into my head!

Also what did you do for english?

P.S : Thanks for making this thread!
Reply 7
Mygcsescience YouTube

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by Calzs34
Thanks for the advice, I'll shall try do 5 hours a day. What would you suggest on weekends? Similar? Or?

Do a lot more! Like wake up early and do as much as you can taking regular breaks and leave some time for yourself but work hard it's the time now!
Reply 9
Original post by Littleonezz
How did you revise topics like science? I've made notes on all the topics just struggling to them into my head!

Also what did you do for english?

P.S : Thanks for making this thread!

MyGCSE science is soooooo good! He is a lifesaver use him and write notes on what he says, go over your notes again and again and again. Repeat and revise etc. and I got an A* for English I just learnt the text well and had a good exam technique like I knew what I was going to do but practise writing essays! Good luck and your welcome, message me if you need anything else :smile:
I'm an AS student and I know gcse's are close and I know how stressed I was, if you have any questions feel free to ask.

good luck and stay calm!

I do Triple science and I still have the entirety of Physics, most of Chemistry and Biology to revise D: I don't know how or if I can get it done in time because I can't make myself revise it all at once: I just forget it straight away. Tips on remembering things I struggle on without hours of reading a textbook?
Reply 11
Original post by takeitbackx
I do Triple science and I still have the entirety of Physics, most of Chemistry and Biology to revise D: I don't know how or if I can get it done in time because I can't make myself revise it all at once: I just forget it straight away. Tips on remembering things I struggle on without hours of reading a textbook?

I did triple too I feel your pain and you do have time cmon like three weeks that's enough use flash cards!!!! Put the main info on them. Believe in yourself!!!
Good luck!
Do a lot more! Like wake up early and do as much as you can taking regular breaks and leave some time for yourself but work hard it's the time now!

Wow as an as student who got 11A* at GCSE this sounds a bit excessive to me. The amount of revision you need to do is not a fixed number of hours, it varies from person to person and only you can really know how much to do. My advice would be to work efficiently (prioritise subjects, you can still revise at half term for some stuff) but do make sure you're prepared for the exams.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Original post by samb1234
Wow as an as student who got 11A* at GCSE this sounds a bit excessive to me. The amount of revision you need to do is not a fixed number of hours, it varies from person to person and only you can really know how much to do. My advice would be to work efficiently (prioritise subjects, you can still revise at half term for some stuff) but do make sure you're prepared for the exams.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Perhaps you should answer these questions then I just don't want students not studying because I only got A's and A*'s by luck.
Perhaps you should answer these questions then I just don't want students not studying because I only got A's and A*'s by luck.

I agree it is key to study (and I'm sorry if I came across badly) I'm just saying that everyone is different. Everyone has different ways they learn best in and I'd say that using these ways to your advantage will get you good results eg if you have short concentration span it is perfectly fine to do revision for short periods at a time so you could potentially do 25 minutes then a 5 minute break and repeat

Posted from TSR Mobile
Any tips on revising well so you don't forget it/get bored/procrastinate
How do you deal with exam stress because that's what's mostly the problem!
Reply 16

GOOD LUCK!

I wouldn't suggest 5 hours a day, on top of school this will be too much -- i don't even do that much and I'm studying for AS. What you should do is make a note of how much you have to do, then create a timetable so you can plan when you are going to do it and schedule in breaks. You don't want to burn out just before your exams by doing too much; I know people who did too much and then as exams approached they couldn't do anymore and were inefficient in exams. Likewise I didn't revise until about 3 days before my exams so I'm not the best example. Also regarding the maths, do past paper after past paper, what you learn and what you have to do are two completely different things, so i've learned by doing AS Maths. Good luck, you'll do fine -- that fact that you're this conscious at this point is a good sign.
Original post by Angharad1606
Any tips on revising well so you don't forget it/get bored/procrastinate
How do you deal with exam stress because that's what's mostly the problem!
😣😳😳😣

If you're struggling to remain focused try doing shorter periods. In terms of methods, you should really have done this earlier but experiment with notes, flashcards etc and see what works for you. For stress, just remind yourself that you know everything that could be in the exam (if you've revised properly) and also try and think of exams positively eg the long holiday after

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
How do i stay motivated?
Original post by Diligence
Hi Sultanan and Samb1234,

I'm close to completing my notes, would you say I've left it too late to get 7A*s plus due not completing them earlier. In other words have I left it too late to learn them?

I don't know you so can't give a definite answer but I'd barely started at this point last year (and I haven't finished as notes yet)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest