The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Corpus Christi College (Cambridge) Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Andy H
Phil - I only applied to John's because I went there for Open Day for Maths as you had to choose a college and chose that one because of middle name. Didn;t really realise the reputation it had until I was underway with application.

But Corpus is definately cool by looks of website! :smile:

I will be visiting in mid-march on a Friday whilst I am down that way because the kind admissiony people have let me :smile:

Also found out today that some other dude at my college got pooled into Corpus for Law (also called Phil) but I don't really know him (big college). Weird to have 2 people from same 6th form pooled into such a small Cam College, no?

Yay, I don't think I'm visiting until probably much later...But post here after you've visited so I can ply you for information :biggrin: That is weird, but pretty cool. I guess Corpus are being nice to poolees this year or something :cool:
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Has any one had any more information from Corpus regarding accomodation, etc, for next year?
no :frown:
but i didn't think we got them till like summer anyway?
I don't have a clue.
Reply 104
They sent out the accommodation forms quite early last year (around March if I don't remember wrongly)... They've JUST settled the room rents for next year (sadly with an increase in room rents), so I guess they may be sending them out soon?
Reply 105
hey, I'm at Kings but I have some friends at Corpus. It's a nice place- some good people there. Just hope you get T staircase in your first year...it's really good...
Do we get any choice in the room we have or is it simply the luck of the draw. If its the latter; do all rooms cost the same?
HIYA, i haven't posted on here for ages. i really, seriously can't wait to start at corpus - i even had a dream about it the other night. you'll all be pleased to know that it was really good and fun :P

so i have a few questions -
1. about accommodation - as far as i know, accommodation is essentially a choice between living within the corpus walls in new court, or having en suite somewhere else. am i right?!

2. when we get sent these mysterious packs about rooms etc, will it have pictures and lots of information? errr.. is there anybody out there who, if i was to come up to cam for a day/weekend, would like to show me corpus inside and out? maybe that will be spoiling the october surprise though.

3. what is college food like? particularly vegetarian food? can you switch between meat and veggie options..? (i'm a pescetarian... probably better known as a pestetarian...). i went on the corpus student website thingy and had a look at the menus. that sounds really stupid, but i am really fussy about food/genuinely worried about having set meals which are disgusting to me (but appetising for everybody else!). i know you don't have to eat in the hall but i would definitely like to.

i'm sophie by the way and my subject is SPS :smile:
where is everybody from? i live in the sunny seaside city, brighton.
i also have a facebook. does anyone else? we can add eachother and be really cool. actually i don't know why i am being sarcastic, i do actually want to add you all.
Reply 108
I'm a veggie so must admit i am a bit nervous about the veggie food, anyone there have any knowledge of it? :smile:
There is always a vegetarian option in hall, and plenty of salad etc. You won't feel constrained. Its also cheaper! :smile:

btw, any soon-to-be first year economists here?
Reply 110
swophie
so i have a few questions -
1. about accommodation - as far as i know, accommodation is essentially a choice between living within the corpus walls in new court, or having en suite somewhere else. am i right?!

2. when we get sent these mysterious packs about rooms etc, will it have pictures and lots of information? errr.. is there anybody out there who, if i was to come up to cam for a day/weekend, would like to show me corpus inside and out? maybe that will be spoiling the october surprise though.

3. what is college food like? particularly vegetarian food? can you switch between meat and veggie options..? (i'm a pescetarian... probably better known as a pestetarian...). i went on the corpus student website thingy and had a look at the menus. that sounds really stupid, but i am really fussy about food/genuinely worried about having set meals which are disgusting to me (but appetising for everybody else!). i know you don't have to eat in the hall but i would definitely like to.

Rooms in Corpus vary WIDELY.

In college:
Old Court - no bathrooms in the same staircase even, no sinks in rooms either (but sinks just outside)
New Court - generally quite nice rooms, but some can be quite small and some don't have sinks
Stable Yard - Rooms in S are nice. And Y has some en-suites, though not the first-year rooms college has reserved for next year.

Out of college:
Bene't - no en-suites, but rooms are generally nice as far as I've seen (though some rooms can be tiny, and others have low ceilings). Kitchens are horrendous though.
Beldam - all en-suite, and great kitchens
Botolph - honestly no idea. I know there's some en-suites, but not for first years? Also there's apparently only one shower in the whole of Botolph (though there're quite a few baths)
Newnham - second year "ghetto" (with some fourth years next year), good kitchens and shower facilities apparently.
T-street - great kitchens and shower facilities as well

As far as I know, the only places with en-suite facilities are Beldam, a couple of rooms in Botolph, and some rooms in Y staircase...

Packs about room last year was basically just a sheet of paper, asking you to choose from 3 price bands of rooms in Corpus, whether you want a modern or non-modern room, and whether you want a smoking or non-smoking room. Nothing in the range of pictures though, as far as last year went...?

College food has a high average but a huge standard deviation. Basically, it's generally not bad, with the occasional truly amazing meal and the occasional not-as-amazing meal. Not too sure about the vegetarian option as I don't usually take it, but for regular meals, choosing between the vegetarian option and other options is just a matter of going there and telling them which main course you want. =) For formal halls and other formal dinners though you'd need to tell them beforehand if you want the vegeterian option.
swophie

i'm sophie by the way and my subject is SPS :smile:
where is everybody from? i live in the sunny seaside city, brighton.
i also have a facebook. does anyone else? we can add eachother and be really cool. actually i don't know why i am being sarcastic, i do actually want to add you all.

Hey sophie,

I'm (hopefully) doing SPS too! I'm so excited! there's only like what, seven months left? So, so scared, yet so, so excited!
Reply 112
I was visiting Corpus yesterday and I asked about accomodation, and information should be sent to us pretty shortly as they were finishing it off whilst I was there - I lukkily got mine then.

You will be able to select whether you prefer smoking/non-smoking, moder/traditional and one of 6 price bands that you would be willing to pay,

Band 1 being £560 - £650 up to Band 6 being £750 to £890.

They ask for other stuff too like photos, not had chance to look at it properly yet.
Is that per term or per year? I have no clue when it comes to financial things!
Reply 114
It doesn;t actually say on the letter which at the time struck me as odd - but that is definately going to be per term.
Reply 115
Per term definitely.

Corpus is nicer than most colleges in terms of accommodation because they usually don't kick us out until a few days after term ends. Some other colleges end the lease the Saturday after term ends, which is not very nice...

And please please please send in a nice photo for uni card. =)
Andy H
It doesn;t actually say on the letter which at the time struck me as odd - but that is definately going to be per term.

I expected so. That's not too bad then.
Haven't visited this thread for awhile, just got the accomodation forms through the post. There are 6 price bands :s-smilie:

Price Band 1: 560-670 pounds going up to Price Band 6: 775-890 pounds...

I just want to know, are the price band 1 ones truly horrendous? Since the other bands go up by around 25-30 pounds, if I don't get band 1 I might as well get something around 3-4.

Other questions are, do you want modern/old, smoking/non-smoking, other special requirements. Oh and photos, better go and take a good one then! :biggrin:
Does anyone know what band a medium-sized room in Old Court/New Court would be?
Reply 119
hey , another question.. does each of the band 6 rooms have an en-suite bathroom? I'd really like one.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending