The Student Room Group

Article: Getting a job at 16

Scroll to see replies

I don't really know how to approch this topc either. I am coming up to 14 (in september) and I will ASAP want to be earning money to pay for uni fees (either harvard or oxford hopefully) I am hoping to have £10,000 + hen I leave for Uni but I don't know if this is possible. Anyone know somewhere I could work a weekend job at 15 ?
I'm 16 and work about 20 hours a week, so work 3 evenings and Saturday and Sunday, I think it's fine, but it becomes difficult to juggle, sixth form, work and a social life
Original post by annabelledavis02
I don't really know how to approch this topc either. I am coming up to 14 (in september) and I will ASAP want to be earning money to pay for uni fees (either harvard or oxford hopefully) I am hoping to have £10,000 + hen I leave for Uni but I don't know if this is possible. Anyone know somewhere I could work a weekend job at 15 ?

Your best bet is either a paper round, or local shops and cafes. You can't legally have a real job until you turn 16.
Reply 63
Planning to work at least 12 hours during the weekend(Sat + Sun) but im doing an equivalent of A Higher levels at school and im really not sure what to do
im turning 16 in 2 months and really want to get a part time/weekend job
anyone know where i can get a job in birmingham
Original post by amzy12345

Go to google and type jobs for 16 year olds in Birmingham
I just did and a long list of jobs for 16 year olds and also jobs in Birmingham came up
I did'nt think it would, i was just trying it. I was going to just tell you to try typing it first without checking myself
I think whatever job type someone is looking for it will come up on google if they type exactly what they want and the area they live or if they don't know whst they want to do just type jobs and the area they live
If anyone is under 16 they just type jobs, the area they live and their age on google

Go to Amzy12345, i just wrote on there
Maybe if you type on google jobs for 15 year olds and your area you live see if that works too. I only checked for 16 yesr olds but forgot to try 15 too
If nothing comes up maybe you can pretend your 16 and ask in local shops or independent shop owners as sometimes they let people work cash in hand and don't check people's ages or i d but maybe that does not happen often.
Years ago i went into an independant shoe shop just to buy shoes and i didnt even ask for a job but the owner offered me a job cash in hand but i did not take it as i was not interested but a week later i changed my mind but he was away but his wife was there instead but she said there is no vacancies.
When i write independant i mean not big brand named shops like Sainsburys, etc
i mean small shops, small shoe shops, cafes, newsagents that are owned by only one person and not a big corporation
This advice is for anyone of any age as i have not read every bodies replies on here
Also look up student jobs on google
And on Gumtree
Go to employment agencies on the high street or type employment agencies for 15 or 16 year olds on google, although i did not check to see if that works but no harm in you trying it yourself
Original post by amzy12345

...or just look on Indeed
Original post by Cari98
I've been actively looking for a part time job for months and months (applying online, handing in CV's etc) My best friend said she 'didn't need the money' and stayed in and sat on her bum all day, and all of a sudden her uncle's given her a job that'll see her rack up £800 by the end of summer!

I don't have any contacts like that so I just have to keep doing things the old fashioned way, and it really sucks.

tell me about it, I was a part of a dance and drama place for over 5 years and had a lot of connections there, my friend joined about 2 years ago and not even a week after I have to stop one of the classes, she gets a job there. I was like, okay, these things happen, whatever. I kept on doing my other classes and was volunteering and again, after I had to stop all of the classes, the day after she gets another job with them! Now I have to listen to her talking about the jobs she has and complaining when has 'no money' and other things. I am proud of her doin so well and getting these jobs but at the same time, it a struggle for me to go out and get a job the regular way because of my social anxiety and lack of connections outside of the company. C'est la vie , I guess...
Original post by Shaunaa_mcg
tell me about it, I was a part of a dance and drama place for over 5 years and had a lot of connections there, my friend joined about 2 years ago and not even a week after I have to stop one of the classes, she gets a job there. I was like, okay, these things happen, whatever. I kept on doing my other classes and was volunteering and again, after I had to stop all of the classes, the day after she gets another job with them! Now I have to listen to her talking about the jobs she has and complaining when has 'no money' and other things. I am proud of her doin so well and getting these jobs but at the same time, it a struggle for me to go out and get a job the regular way because of my social anxiety and lack of connections outside of the company. C'est la vie , I guess...

Ask her to put in a good word for you and try to get you a job there as sometimes a friend already working for a company can get you a job at the same place a lot easier or ask to speak to the manager or owner or send them an email telling them your interested even if they have not advertised any jobs and if you keep bugging them at least they will know you arekeen and will consider you for next time they need someone.
Original post by Judge Judy
Ask her to put in a good word for you and try to get you a job there as sometimes a friend already working for a company can get you a job at the same place a lot easier or ask to speak to the manager or owner or send them an email telling them your interested even if they have not advertised any jobs and if you keep bugging them at least they will know you arekeen and will consider you for next time they need someone.

I have and it was going well apart from the manager just said she was creating a class for me and my friend (which I was like, amazing!!) but decided against and never updated me until another person that works there that I'm really close told me
I feel lucky to live close to one of the regional mail centres. That's the only reason I got a job now. Now I got to get used to juggling academic and paid work.
Still trying to work on my CV :/ it's taking forever
Original post by bxcks_
Still trying to work on my CV :/ it's taking forever

They don't long, theres loads of resources online to help you
Original post by itssammorgan
They don't long, theres loads of resources online to help you

Thank you, it's just I have a lot going on so I almost always forget😅😂
Original post by PeytonWilliams
I've been looking for a job for so long. I'm only 16 but I don't have any GCSE results due to not being able to go to school for personal reasons. This means I have no qualifications. I've applied for many jobs in little shops around my town but they all say the same thing 'you need experience' but how can I get experience without getting a job in the first place. I've even tried to do voluntary work in local charity shops but nothing was successful. Anybody have any ideas of what sort of places would take on a 16 year old with no experience?

Do things such as charity work and volunteering this will allow you to gain some experience,despite no having any qualifications so you can say to the job your applying for that you have gained skills etc.Hope this helped i know its a blit late haha

Most places wont accept 14/15 year olds. However you might have some luck with going for more independent small company's and shops like small cafes etc in your town as they may offer a weekend job,however the pay will not be much.Another alternative is babysitting for someone like a family friends or neighbour,i find this works as you don't have to be a specific age and the pay is okay,although its not always regular as its suited to when they need you.If none of those work i'd suggest doing some charity work or volunteering,this may seem boring and unconvienient as there is no pay but when you come to the age of 16 and are applying for jobs they are going to be 100% more likely to take you on.Hope this was useful,goodluck!
What about part-time job as warehouse operative? They offer around 7.25pounds per hour.
Original post by bigrussianboss
What about part-time job as warehouse operative? They offer around 7.25pounds per hour.

Thats more than likely minimum wage, and dependent on age
Reply 79
I've got a question? I'm coming up to leaving school and finishing my gcses and I'm stuck between options, I have NESA football and a job vacancy for landscape gardening which is a pay of £50 a day. Any suggestions on what to decide on.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending