The Student Room Group

Article: Firm and insurance choices

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jneill
Yes, or they chose to reject firm/insurance and apply elsewhere.

Btw, it's only 13% of candidates.

Most go to their Firm.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I see; thanks/
I have firmed a choice and have an insurance choice. Now I have changed my mind and prefer my insurance. Do I have a grace period to accept my insurance if both decisions have been made on track?
Reply 42
Original post by Littledragonm
I have firmed a choice and have an insurance choice. Now I have changed my mind and prefer my insurance. Do I have a grace period to accept my insurance if both decisions have been made on track?

7 days but not sure how you go about changing it
Original post by PQ
If you meet and exceed the conditions of your firm offer you are eligible for adjustment. This lasts 5 days so not a lot of time to make a good decision (given that you've already made a mistake you need to be careful not to rush into another) and often you will have to arrange private accommodation too.

Planning on this makes for a very stressful August.

I'm not sure that this is necessarily true. One might have had a lucky exam or two, or understood that with the predictions and AS grades at the time of applying, some offers would be unlikely, even if they later become eligible through adjustment.
Reply 44
Original post by Mathstatician
I'm not sure that this is necessarily true. One might have had a lucky exam or two, or understood that with the predictions and AS grades at the time of applying, some offers would be unlikely, even if they later become eligible through adjustment.

The OP quoted by PQ had previously chosen the wrong universities. Hence PQ's comment.
Original post by jneill
The OP quoted by PQ had previously chosen the wrong universities. Hence PQ's comment.

I was considering the general case, mistakenly. I withdraw my contention.

@PQ :hat2:

Phone UCAS in the morning. If its within 7 days it'll be a straightforward switch.

After 7 days it gets more complicated but it still might be possible - again, phone UCAS.
It has been more than 7 days. The thing is I do not know what one to pick... They are both incredible can I leave it how it is and pick at the end. Does this grace period tjing exist?
It has been more than 7 days. The thing is I do not know what one to pick... They are both incredible can I leave it how it is and pick at the end. Does this grace period tjing exist?

You cannot switch Firm/Insurance on Results Day if that is what you are asking. You have an Unconditional Firm - your Insurance in terms of 'results' is meaningless as you cannot fail to 'be accepted by' Birmingham. Unless you sort this out VERY quickly your Insurance will disappear or become effectively inactive.
I have two conditionals for Glasgow school of art and Edinburgh college of art it's a difficult decision but I am phoning ucas this morning and asking to switch them around. If that cannot be done then my fate is decided
Reply 50
I have 2 conditional offers from Cardiff and Sheffield universities for medicine. Cardiff has offered with high conditions and Sheffield offered with nominal / achievable / meet able conditions.
I am going to confirm the Cardiff university as my firm and Sheffield as an Insurance.
if I will not able to meet the conditional after the result will the insurance university i.e Sheffield university will offer me a confirmed offered depending upon the seats available only Sheffield will provide the offer to me after the result

Please explain about firm and insurance offer options
Reply 51
Original post by nico16
I have 2 conditional offers from Cardiff and Sheffield universities for medicine. Cardiff has offered with high conditions and Sheffield offered with nominal / achievable / meet able conditions.
I am going to confirm the Cardiff university as my firm and Sheffield as an Insurance.
if I will not able to meet the conditional after the result will the insurance university i.e Sheffield university will offer me a confirmed offered depending upon the seats available only Sheffield will provide the offer to me after the result

Please explain about firm and insurance offer options

If you miss the offer conditions set by Cardiff AND Cardiff decides not to relax them and therefore rejects you, THEN Sheffield will consider your results against their offer to you. If you meet the Sheffield offer then they must accept you. If you miss the Sheffield offer they may still chose to accept you, or reject you and then you go into Clearing.

Note that the universities see your results before you do, so they have time to consider their decision before results day.

Also, the vast majority of applicants are accepted by their Firm university.
Reply 52
Original post by jneill
If you miss the offer conditions set by Cardiff AND Cardiff decides not to relax them and therefore rejects you, THEN Sheffield will consider your results against their offer to you. If you meet the Sheffield offer then they must accept you. If you miss the Sheffield offer they may still chose to accept you, or reject you and then you go into Clearing.

Note that the universities see your results before you do, so they have time to consider their decision before results day.

Also, the vast majority of applicants are accepted by their Firm university.

thanks a lot for the reply

so u mean if I am not able to meet the Cardiff conditions and met Sheffield conditional at the same time means definitely Sheffield will have a place for me am I right? Sheffield has a place definitely even though it's an insurance if I meet their conditional ?
Reply 53
Original post by nico16
thanks a lot for the reply

so u mean if I am not able to meet the Cardiff conditions and met Sheffield conditional at the same time means definitely Sheffield will have a place for me am I right? Sheffield has a place definitely even though it's an insurance if I meet their conditional ?

Yes. Correct.

The only other thing to consider is some universities don't guarantee university accommodation to "insurance" (or Clearing) first year students. In that case you may need to find private accommodation, but the university should still help you to do that. Check the accommodation details from Sheffield.
Reply 54
Original post by jneill
Yes. Correct.

The only other thing to consider is some universities don't guarantee university accommodation to "insurance" (or Clearing) first year students. In that case you may need to find private accommodation, but the university should still help you to do that. Check the accommodation details from Sheffield.

Thanks a Lot
Reply 55
My firm is going to be an AAA offer (very achievable since I got 4As at AS) and the uni I want to be my insurance is an AAB offer, but I'm not sure this is a wise choice as there's not much of a gap between the offers. I also have an ABB offer which I like, but not nearly as much as the AAB. Do I insure the AAB offer or the ABB?

The only subject I have struggled with this year really is history, so I'm fairly confident on As in my other two subjects but of course there is a chance I'll mess up an exam or two..

(also the AAA and the AAB are not likely to be lenient, so if I miss the offer even by one grade I most likely won't get a place)
Reply 56
Original post by BB8
My firm is going to be an AAA offer (very achievable since I got 4As at AS) and the uni I want to be my insurance is an AAB offer, but I'm not sure this is a wise choice as there's not much of a gap between the offers. I also have an ABB offer which I like, but not nearly as much as the AAB. Do I insure the AAB offer or the ABB?

The only subject I have struggled with this year really is history, so I'm fairly confident on As in my other two subjects but of course there is a chance I'll mess up an exam or two..

(also the AAA and the AAB are not likely to be lenient, so if I miss the offer even by one grade I most likely won't get a place)

There's no point insuring a uni you don't really want to go to. Insure the AAB if you prefer the course and the uni..
I've got 4 university offers but the university I wanted to go to rejected me. Is it to risky to decline all my offers and hope that the university I wanted to go to will accept me through clearing?
Reply 58
Original post by Jordannnlouisee
I've got 4 university offers but the university I wanted to go to rejected me. Is it to risky to decline all my offers and hope that the university I wanted to go to will accept me through clearing?

Yes very risky.
Original post by Jordannnlouisee

Extremely risky, because they won't take you if you have been rejected once.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending