The Student Room Group

Gap year! HELP!!!!

So basically I want to travel! But from looking at the course that I want to do, I can't defer it! The course is paramedic practice. However, I really want to go backpacking on a round the world trip so I am uncertain as to whether do it before or after uni. Or if the are any other ways to do it! I have realised that when if I become a qualified paramedic I will have hardly any time to go travelling. Is there any paramedics or student paramedic on here that have taken a gap year and gone travelling!

HELP!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by stimpy27
So basically I want to travel! But from looking at the course that I want to do, I can't defer it! The course is paramedic practice. However, I really want to go backpacking on a round the world trip so I am uncertain as to whether do it before or after uni. Or if the are any other ways to do it! I have realised that when if I become a qualified paramedic I will have hardly any time to go travelling. Is there any paramedics or student paramedic on here that have taken a gap year and gone travelling!

HELP!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm in a similar position but I want to do medicine. With some careful planning you could get a cracking summer during your first year to travel for a month and a bit before returning to uni.

Round the world trip is too much if you're at uni. I'd split up my trips across the year e.g go a few weeks in Easter, some in Christmas etc depending on how much holiday you get
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Thanks for the help! I am thinking of trying to use a long holiday to have a big road trip around America! Whenever I have a summer free I will get a backpack and go round Asia but at some point I want to go to Australia! I was considering finishing university and going travelling but I don't think it would be a good idea as I might forget the stuff I learn! However if I don't get into uni the first time I apply I will go backpacking for 5 months then come back to the UK, get a job and reapply! I have also heard that people quit their jobs and have a gap year but I don't want to wait that long! LIFE IS TOO SHORT! I want to experience things so I can look back and say I was glad that I did that! I was glad that I saw the Grand Canyon and scuba dived in the Great Barrier Reef! It is also a good learning curve it can teach a person how to live their life with a few materialistic things. I JUST WANT TO TRAVEL THE WORLD! But I also want to become a paramedic!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by stimpy27
Thanks for the help! I am thinking of trying to use a long holiday to have a big road trip around America! Whenever I have a summer free I will get a backpack and go round Asia but at some point I want to go to Australia! I was considering finishing university and going travelling but I don't think it would be a good idea as I might forget the stuff I learn! However if I don't get into uni the first time I apply I will go backpacking for 5 months then come back to the UK, get a job and reapply! I have also heard that people quit their jobs and have a gap year but I don't want to wait that long! LIFE IS TOO SHORT! I want to experience things so I can look back and say I was glad that I did that! I was glad that I saw the Grand Canyon and scuba dived in the Great Barrier Reef! It is also a good learning curve it can teach a person how to live their life with a few materialistic things. I JUST WANT TO TRAVEL THE WORLD! But I also want to become a paramedic!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why not take a year out after uni? I know lots of medics who do that before they start working properly
Reply 4
Wouldn't I run the risk of forgetting some of the course content!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest