The Student Room Group

is the value of a degree really worth the costs

Hi, I'm a student averaging at a b grade, so obviously I'm not the most clever student out there, my school always says about going to university (qecc 6th form) and I feel as if we are pressured into going to university I feel (call me a conspiracy theorist if you wish) this may be due to the hidden theoretical perspective of the whole education system and government to make students spend money on tuition fees etc which still doesn't guarantee them jobs...I'm tempted for uni because I want to live the best life I can, my girlfriend also wants to go to uni to study psychology I just don't know about it, is the money that is spent really worth the "value" of a degree? :confused::confused:
(edited 9 years ago)
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses. :redface:

I'm going to quote in Puddles the Monkey now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :h: :yy:

Spoiler

Original post by TomTheSansinator
Hi, I'm a student averaging at a b grade, so obviously I'm not the most clever student out there, my school always says about going to university (qecc 6th form) and I feel as if we are pressured into going to university I feel (call me a conspiracy theorist if you wish) this may be due to the hidden theoretical perspective of the whole education system and government to make students spend money on tuition fees etc which still doesn't guarantee them jobs...I'm tempted for uni because I want to live the best life I can, my girlfriend also wants to go to uni to study psychology I just don't know about it, is the money that is spent really worth the "value" of a degree? :confused::confused:

What do you want to do with your life? You can make good money as a tradesman, especially if you work up to owning your own business and employing others. If you wanted to do that, a degree would probably be of limited value. If you wanted to enter a profession, on the other hand, you should go to university.

Unfortunately, jobs now require degrees that never did previously, so your options without a degree are perhaps more limited than they once would have been.

It's good that you're assessing whether a degree will be worthwhile. That said, I think that the above considerations should come first, rather than the cost itself. The repayment terms of the student 'loan' means that the cost you actually bear behaves more like a tax than a debt. A student loan will never send you into bankruptcy. The costs to think about, really, are (a) the accommodation and living expenses for three years and (b) the opportunity cost of not earning for those three years.
Reply 3
No better investment. Typically, every additional year in education is worth an extra few thousand every year for the rest of your life.
It's dependent on your degree/university and the opportunity it presents. For the most part you'll have to open those opporutnities yourself, however statistically speaking it's a worthwhile investment.
you should"t go to Uni "because everybody else does"

but either because of a love of the subject, or ( and they are not mutually exclusive) to get qualifications in order to move into a profession.

My neighbour is a plumber who was an accountant and realised that his clients earned more than he did.He retrained as a plumber and runs his own business employing another couple of guys.
A mate studied Archaeology but there is limited need for trained graduates. He works in insurance.

another did Forensic Science because he watched to much CSI and now works behind the counter at Boots.

Only you can decide, but this is pretty much your only chance. You (on average) stand to make more money back over a lifetime than it will cost, despite the subject.
However, you could find that 3 years in a company gives you a head start

Quick Reply

Latest