The Student Room Group

Withdrawing myself from AS levels?

I'm sick and tired. I've been so stressed it's killing me. I can't even study anymore because of the amount of stress I am experiencing. I'm two weeks away from the exams and I'm not ready for any. Maybe English literature but I doubt this. I'm becoming depressed and mentally ill. I was thinking maybe I should just withdraw from my exams this year and just repeat AS levels next year. I doubt this would be possible but I'm hoping. My school hasn't helped at all, I go to the worst school in the country and I know it's not an excuse but I needed support to deal with that gap and didn't receive any. I'm going mad. What do I do? I probably will get CEE at this point or CCD. That's if I can focus even, my practical exam grades are all over the place too.
Have a go at the exams, if you feel like you've done terribly, you can always retake
Its better if you don't drop out or this year could go to waste :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by LearningGeek
Have a go at the exams, if you feel like you've done terribly, you can always retake
Its better if you don't drop out or this year could go to waste :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

This year was a waste. I didn't learn much. I'm having frequent panic attacks too.
Original post by Cherry82
I'm sick and tired. I've been so stressed it's killing me. I can't even study anymore because of the amount of stress I am experiencing. I'm two weeks away from the exams and I'm not ready for any. Maybe English literature but I doubt this. I'm becoming depressed and mentally ill. I was thinking maybe I should just withdraw from my exams this year and just repeat AS levels next year. I doubt this would be possible but I'm hoping. My school hasn't helped at all, I go to the worst school in the country and I know it's not an excuse but I needed support to deal with that gap and didn't receive any. I'm going mad. What do I do? I probably will get CEE at this point or CCD. That's if I can focus even, my practical exam grades are all over the place too.

I got CCD in my AS Year and I wasn't going through what you're going through lol. If you think you can achieve that at a minimum, I say go for it! After exams, you'll have the whole summer to sort yourself out. You've made it this far, don't fall at the last hurdle.
Reply 4
If you feel like your health is at serious risk then I'd advise you to withdraw yourself.

I was in the same position as you two year ago only I was in a very competitive school where all the students had high levels of academic prowers. I, on the other hand, was average at best. I ended up getting EUU in Year 12 and I left to repeat the year at a different school. Somehow I managed to get CDDE and get 5 offers to do Psychology. I do regret re-sitting year 12 and I wished that I had gotten better results the first time around so I would have taken a gap year and re-applied this year. Don't forsake it yet. :smile:
Hello :smile:

First of all just take a few deep breaths. Now what are your subjects? If it makes you feel any better I don't feel ready either. I quite frankly think I will fail apart from English lit because it's not rocket science...

What you should do is sit down and evaluate where you are in your studying, it's important to remember that even though you feel like everyone is probably finished with revision and ready to receive their A's, they are probably not and yes there definitely are people who feel like you right now.

Now take a look at all your subjects, then take a look at all the topics, if you can(even though it's not very healthy thing to do) but have a mass hardcore revision session up to this weekend (try and get anything and everything that you struggle with understood). That gives you the weekend to go over some of the "easier" left over content and don't worry if some spills over to the next week (monday or tuesday) then from tuesdayish just essay write and past paper, then just prioritise what exam comes next.

That is how I suggest you get through these exams^^^

If how ever you fail, OH BLOODY WELL, it's not the end of the world, you may feel awful but you will just have to pick your self up, brush your self off and re take. There isn't much you can do from now on is give it your all in these last few weeks and try and do the best you can and tbh you may surprise yourself!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by cherryred90s
I got CCD in my AS Year and I wasn't going through what you're going through lol. If you think you can achieve that at a minimum, I say go for it! After exams, you'll have the whole summer to sort yourself out. You've made it this far, don't fall at the last hurdle.

Lol but knowing you don't know any of the content properly.
Reply 8
Original post by PurpleGhost25175
I was in the same position as you two year ago only I was in a very competitive school where all the students had high levels of academic prowers. I, on the other hand, was average at best. I ended up getting EUU in Year 12 and I left to repeat the year at a different school. Somehow I managed to get CDDE and get 5 offers to do Psychology. I do regret re-sitting year 12 and I wished that I had gotten better results the first time around so I would have taken a gap year and re-applied this year. Don't forsake it yet. :smile:

I'm so sorry about that. How did you handle the stress the first time round? I wouldn't mind a gap year but taking resits for A levels apparently is expensive.
Reply 9
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
Hello :smile:

First of all just take a few deep breaths. Now what are your subjects? If it makes you feel any better I don't feel ready either. I quite frankly think I will fail apart from English lit because it's not rocket science...

What you should do is sit down and evaluate where you are in your studying, it's important to remember that even though you feel like everyone is probably finished with revision and ready to receive their A's, they are probably not and yes there definitely are people who feel like you right now.

Now take a look at all your subjects, then take a look at all the topics, if you can(even though it's not very healthy thing to do) but have a mass hardcore revision session up to this weekend (try and get anything and everything that you struggle with understood). That gives you the weekend to go over some of the "easier" left over content and don't worry if some spills over to the next week (monday or tuesday) then from tuesdayish just essay write and past paper, then just prioritise what exam comes next.

That is how I suggest you get through these exams^^^

If how ever you fail, OH BLOODY WELL, it's not the end of the world, you may feel awful but you will just have to pick your self up, brush your self off and re take. There isn't much you can do from now on is give it your all in these last few weeks and try and do the best you can and tbh you may surprise yourself!

Thank you so much, this really helped. I do at the moment English literature, Physics and Chemistry. Dropped maths. I lost it when I had gotten back my practical grades for Physics and Chemistry.
Thank you so much, this really helped. I do at the moment English literature, Physics and Chemistry. Dropped maths. I lost it when I had gotten back my practical grades for Physics and Chemistry.

I also do English lit and chem so we can relate :smile: am I ready for chem, not at all!! on the bright side we have the half term before unit 2 chemistry :smile: honestly I think you will be fine, I also didn't do great in my practical for chemistry, I got a C -__-

But you should remember that it is only 20% and your exams are 80% so there is so need to lose it lol because theoretically speaking you could get a U in the practical and still get an A in the whole thing, taking into account thats if you get full marks in the exam but seriously don't worry!! just take the calm and collective approach to this, these are just exams which you can re take. It could be much worse!!!
Reply 11
I also do English lit and chem so we can relate :smile: am I ready for chem, not at all!! on the bright side we have the half term before unit 2 chemistry :smile: honestly I think you will be fine, I also didn't do great in my practical for chemistry, I got a C -__-

But you should remember that it is only 20% and your exams are 80% so there is so need to lose it lol because theoretically speaking you could get a U in the practical and still get an A in the whole thing, taking into account thats if you get full marks in the exam but seriously don't worry!! just take the calm and collective approach to this, these are just exams which you can re take. It could be much worse!!!

Oh no I am AS level lol. I have my exams in two/three weeks. But have Physics in two weeks and English lit in basically a week.
Because I'm in AS I want to withdraw. This year has been a complete waste.
Lol but knowing you don't know any of the content properly.

You have a few weeks to revise as much as you can. I don't think its a good idea to withdraw when you have exams in like 2 weeks, especially because it's AS. Even if you don't do as well as you'd like, you'll have ample opportunity to fix it
(edited 8 years ago)
I'm so sorry about that. How did you handle the stress the first time round? I wouldn't mind a gap year but taking resits for A levels apparently is expensive.

I applied at the local sixth form college to re-sit year 12 but I didn't get charged anything. I had to start paying extra for bus passes when I turned 19 but that was the only expense. I had to pay extra for trips as well.
I couldn't handle the stress at all. I was just so depressed. It started in Year 11 actually. GCSE results day was traumatising for me as I was the only one in my friendship group who did not get any A* at all. I got 1A, 6B's and 2C'S. All my friends got 1 A* or more. Plus my grandad died when I was in Year 11 and I couldn't cope with that either. It was a bas period.
Oh no I am AS level lol. I have my exams in two/three weeks. But have Physics in two weeks and English lit in basically a week.
Because I'm in AS I want to withdraw. This year has been a complete waste.

Me too, I'm As too. I mean unit 1 and unit 2 chemistry each equal 40 % then your practical is 20% and that gives you 100% as level. That's what I meant,
Reply 15
Original post by PurpleGhost25175
I applied at the local sixth form college to re-sit year 12 but I didn't get charged anything. I had to start paying extra for bus passes when I turned 19 but that was the only expense. I had to pay extra for trips as well.
I couldn't handle the stress at all. I was just so depressed. It started in Year 11 actually. GCSE results day was traumatising for me as I was the only one in my friendship group who did not get any A* at all. I got 1A, 6B's and 2C'S. All my friends got 1 A* or more. Plus my grandad died when I was in Year 11 and I couldn't cope with that either. It was a bas period.

Aw, I'm sorry. Oh my gosh, like are you the second half of me. The exact thing happened to me in year 11 too. So sorry about that, I didn't lose any relatives but I did get 1A and like 4/5 Bs and 4 Cs. It was so sad because I actually worked hard.
Aw, I'm sorry. Oh my gosh, like are you the second half of me. The exact thing happened to me in year 11 too. So sorry about that, I didn't lose any relatives but I did get 1A and like 4/5 Bs and 4 Cs. It was so sad because I actually worked hard.

Thanks :redface: I didn't work hard at all. I was just so depressed that I just didn't care anymore. I started to sleep more during study leave and that had a big impact on my GCSE grades.
Reply 17
Me too, I'm As too. I mean unit 1 and unit 2 chemistry each equal 40 % then your practical is 20% and that gives you 100% as level. That's what I meant,

Oh ok. But you had said half term break. Is your school on study leave/break or something. We aren't sadly.

Quick Reply

Latest