The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

It sucks to be a prefect. Just an excuse for teachers to go out at lunch.
I was asked to be a prefect but I turned down the role, But now I wish I hadn't turned down the role, since the skills you pick up are quite valuable and if you're applying to univerisity then you can always add this onto your personal statement.
I was a school prefect... I had a shiny badge.

Those were the days :frown:
Reply 4
I think the role of a prefect varies quite widely from school to school. I'm one, but I do sod all to be honest :p: We have to do lunchtime duties once a week (basically yelling at younger pupils to go outside and stop hanging around in the corridors... not that they listen to us), and that's about it, really. We are supposedly meant to have other roles too, such as showing visitors around the school, helping with the school website/newspaper/magazine, or being attached as a 'mentor' to individual tutorials, but none of that has happened yet! At the end of the day, it's just another thing to put on your UCAS form.
Reply 5
I'm a prefect. I've found that it's not a lot of work. I just have to turn up for lunchtime duty once a week.

I do get to wear a nice badge though :cool:
Reply 6
I'm a prefect and we get a nice shiny gown to wear and money for doing Lunch duties so not bad at all really!! A lot of effort when we have to do functions etc though....
Reply 7
I am a prefect...though...
Reply 8
Everyone in 6th year at my school is a prefect and then we have a team of 6 deputy head boys and girls and a head boy and head girl.

We have to monitor the lunch queue, help out in classes, help set up for school events... gets annoying after a while lol!
Reply 9
no.2
Hey guys,

Anyone a Sixthform Prefect? Just got picked to be one, and wanted to know about other peoples experiances. Thanks.

Yeah, I'm a Form Prefect.
Reply 10
i guess the real only perk is being able to put it on ur UCAS form...
Reply 11
I was a Year 10 prefect last year, and we had to do a duty every lunch and break. The tasks in themselves weren't really too bad; but nobody really listened to us anyway, apart from those much younger than us.
Reply 12
I used to be a prefect but can i just say its one of the worst things. I mean who is going to repsect you?. There isnt much you can do.
Reply 13
i was
in yr 9
lol
green badges
Reply 14
AND im head Girl!!!!!!!!!!!
:smile:
I was a Prefect back in the day, loved my badge!

Each house (there was 4) had a day where they were on rota then every Wednesday would alter. There was about 9 'areas' and you were assigned to one at either lunch or break - pretty boring, but my school was crazy on power and things, we could hand out litter duties and what not, and if they weren't complete, they'd get a lunch time detention and a note in your diary! lol... i miss that power, all the little yr7's use to fear you!

-x-
Reply 16
I'm a prefect.

It's nice to be able to give back to the school and all that but when you hear every other day a teacher randomly calling upon prefects to do this and that it's like ARGH.

I don't believe I'm gaining anything from it and I feel it wasted precious personal statement and reference space (in fact I'm pretty sure I removed it from PS, I'm sure my teacher had a fair chunk about it in the reference though).
Reply 17
We don't have prefects so no I'm not one. :biggrin:
Reply 18
Im a senior prefect and my duty is setting up dates for primary school visits :smile:

I've also been elected as the President of the 6th form social committee :biggrin:
no.2
Hey guys,

Anyone a Sixthform Prefect? Just got picked to be one, and wanted to know about other peoples experiances. Thanks.

I'm a 'senior prefect' in my sixth form and tbh you really do f*** all....just wear a badge lol

Latest

Trending

Trending