The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I'm a school prefect this year, and was a house prefect last year.

House prefect was the easiest thing out. There were 6 of us plus a house captain (my house is McWilliam) chosen by pupil ballot and we got shiny badges in the colour of our house (mine was yellow). All we had to do was choose a year and do their role at house assemblies, while simultaneously coercing them into taking part in competitions.

School prefect, to be honest, sucks. We used to get minor priveleges but all these have been gradually taken away until all we have are duties. They aren't too bad - mainly standing around yelling at first years whenever I could actually be bothered doing them. But we also have to go in on prize day/school concerts/parents' evenings etc. which is pretty boring.

Looks good on your UCAS form though!
Reply 21
I'm a prefect. It's just a form of slave labour. Most of the duties involve guarding the entrances to the school every break and lunch time. The 1st-4th yrs have made it their mission to annoy us while we get in trouble if they get inside.
The only perk is we get to help out at discos and parties, which means we get in for free. That's fun, although I did end up with having to give my details as a witness to the police at the last one.

I do like my braid though.
Reply 22
Iam a prefect and on the school council...all ive done is
was the team leader of the pink day at my school
i also help out with open days its very fun when i think bout it :smile:
Reply 23
I was a Head Boy and Acting House Captain ... I was given a different colour blazer which was cool ... but other than that, that is all I got out of it. Rather boring towards the end (i.e. when you are sick to death of having the same argument with the same kids in years below you) - but a good experience overall.

It's just a form of slave labour.

Couldn't agree more. In my Secondary (11-16) if we didn't perform out 'duties' we had our ties (symbols of being a prefect) taken from us. In Sixth form, if we didn't do our duties we were 'gated' (made to report to a teacher during our breaks every 5 or 10 minutes - can't remember!) - Slave Labour indeed.
Reply 24
I was a prefect in Yr 11 - we don't have them in sixth form thank God - and the only perk was you got to wear a navy blue jumper as opposed to a bottle green one. The stress was getting elected; you had to fill in an application form, which was never read, then there were staff and student votes, interviews, and finally, letters of acceptance.

All that for just the obligation of 'lunch duty' - or telling Yr7s to put away their iPods - and helping out at parents evenings. Not forgeting of course, the 'prefect dance', which was a key feature of the school's Christmas pantomine, that the teachers and prefects put on for the rest of the school. That was embarrasing.
i'm a house prefect :biggrin: which is cool because i dont have to do anything just help with house things once in a while which ive being doing since i remember anyway and it looks good on application forms
Reply 26
Ossie1701
In Sixth form, if we didn't do our duties we were 'gated' (made to report to a teacher during our breaks every 5 or 10 minutes - can't remember!) - Slave Labour indeed.

:eek: That's a bit harsh! :s-smilie:
Reply 27
It matters a lot :smile:.

However by far the most important thing is the person.
Bexiness!
:eek: That's a bit harsh! :s-smilie:

Harsh?

Seeing as our break is only 15 minutes its bloody stupid....
Oh, I'm a house captain too - though that is far more fun than being a school prefect! We have a number of house events throughout the year, like House Drama, House Music, House Dance, House Sports, House charity... where the houses compete against each other. The sixth form house captains have to completely organise these events. It's a lot of work sometimes, but it builds a sense of unity within the house and you get to know the people in your house well. Plus the rehearsals and the actual event is huge fun :biggrin:

Much better than being a school prefect really... we apparently get reported too if we aren't doing our duties.... it so happens that the people I do it with never turn up, but never get caught; and when I slack off the teachers find out :rolleyes:
Reply 30
Neither my high school nor my 6th form college have prefects... So I've never been blessed (or otherwise) with the duty! Instead of prefects in our college, we have a student executive, with a president and vice president (voted for by the students) with other people as part of the exec, eg NUS officer or social awareness officer. They don't do duties like shouting at people, but they organise events like prom and charity stuff etc.
Reply 31
Excalibur
Oh, I'm a house captain too - though that is far more fun than being a school prefect! We have a number of house events throughout the year, like House Drama, House Music, House Dance, House Sports, House charity... where the houses compete against each other. The sixth form house captains have to completely organise these events. It's a lot of work sometimes, but it builds a sense of unity within the house and you get to know the people in your house well. Plus the rehearsals and the actual event is huge fun :biggrin:

Much better than being a school prefect really... we apparently get reported too if we aren't doing our duties.... it so happens that the people I do it with never turn up, but never get caught; and when I slack off the teachers find out :rolleyes:

that always happens with me too:rolleyes:
everyone slacks- nothing
but when i do
trouble!!:redface:
:p:
Reply 32
That's a bit harsh!

Harsh?

Seeing as our break is only 15 minutes its bloody stupid....

Well it was quite harsh, considering my lunch break was 1 hour 5 minutes and morning break was 20 minutes ...:s-smilie:
I was a prefect last year and this year. So, I likes to wear two, shiny, identical badges. However the novelty of the badge soon wears off.
Reply 34
Miss Brand
I was a prefect last year and this year. So, I likes to wear two, shiny, identical badges. However the novelty of the badge soon wears off.

I don't even wear my badge, it stands out too much, and i don't particularly want to show off about it :s-smilie: i wasn't saying that anyone who wears it is showing off by the way..
Reply 35
I have a lovely 34 year old gown to wear consider yourselves lucky that you just have a badge!!
Reply 36
Claire M
I have a lovely 34 year old gown to wear consider yourselves lucky that you just have a badge!!

:eek: Do you have to wear it? :s-smilie:
Reply 37
Yeh, every morning for assembly and then for important occasions such as Christingle, giving speeches etc!!!
Reply 38
yup it sucks
Reply 39
its not that bad - I only have one term left and I am not looking forward to handing over!

Latest

Trending

Trending