The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

physicsgirlie
how many first years have to share rooms? (across the whole uni, and specifically for Castle if poss)
if you had to share a room, was it awkward, did you fall out, was it how you met your best friend? cos i'm a bit doubtful about the whole room sharing thing...

I shared with 2 other people in 1st year (Hatfield). There were a few awkward moments, but then there will be with anyone you have to live in close proximity to, eg housemates in 2nd year. We generally got on really well; I enjoyed the experience, found it meant I definitely wasn't isolated ever, always had people to go to stuff with in freshers' week, and still speak to them both regularly now. One of them probably is a 'best friend', the other one is still pretty damn good.

Castle - I couldn't give you specific figures, but I think there's a fair few sharing. Across the uni, it really depends on the college; some have none at all, others have loads.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
There's a table somewhere on the Durham site that shows how many rooms are single, shared, ensuite etc in each college... I can't find it at this specific moment but it is there somewhere.

durhamdosser
I shared with 2 other people in 1st year (Hatfield).

Do you mean two people at once, or that you changed who you were sharing with?
Heres the webpage elyim was talking about; http://www.dur.ac.uk/colleges/undergraduate/facts/

It doesn't seem to have been updated for a few years, so it might not be 100% accurate. It says Cuth's only has 44 single rooms, which is completely wrong; it has more than 300 (190 of which are ensuite).

Alex
elyim
Do you mean two people at once, or that you changed who you were sharing with?

Two at once - we were last of the big years, so what would normally have been a tutor's flat became a triple undergrad room. We had 2 rooms, one with 3 desks and a bed, another with 2 beds, and our own bathroom. Pretty nice really!
Reply 5
Can't be arsed. bye.
Sharing's great. There's about a 40-60 chance of having to share at Castle, but if you do, you're much more likely to be in the castle per se. (I.e. a chance at all; there might be one firstyear in a single room in the castle every 2-3 years.)
Reply 7
Most freshers this year in castle (ie in the college) have got single rooms as they've cut the intake number down, although there are a few who are sharing and actually in castle, and others sharing in owengate which is just next door. There don't seem to have been any problems with people who have shared so far this year (I've only known of 2 people to swap rooms.) Everyone who shares seems to enjoy it! x
Reply 8
Becca
Can't be arsed. bye.

Hahahahaa
Reply 9
dobbs
Hahahahaa

Can't remember how many times I've answered this question, so I thought I'd leave it to other people. :biggrin:
Reply 10
Becca
Can't remember how many times I've answered this question, so I thought I'd leave it to other people. :biggrin:

It's why I'm barely on TSR anymore. I remember a time where we could post threads full of crap and no-one would mind, it would be a laugh.

Now it's like you post a thread saying "Name your top 5 (i dunno..) places to wear a wig!" and people will go "WHAT THE HELL HAS THIS GOT TO DO WITH DURHAM?!?!!?!?"

I DON'T CARE WHAT IT'S GOT TO DO WITH DURHAM, BUT I WANT TO CHAT TO MY DURHAM TSR MATES IF THAT'S OK WITH YOU!!!! I'M SICK OF ALL THE PLEBS IN THE GENERAL CHAT!!!!! :mad:

lol.....anyway yeah now it's just full of the same old questions over and over again. Gets old, just like me! :rolleyes: Hehe
Reply 11
dobbs
It's why I'm barely on TSR anymore. I remember a time where we could post threads full of crap and no-one would mind, it would be a laugh.

Now it's like you post a thread saying "Name your top 5 (i dunno..) places to wear a wig!" and people will go "WHAT THE HELL HAS THIS GOT TO DO WITH DURHAM?!?!!?!?"

I DON'T CARE WHAT IT'S GOT TO DO WITH DURHAM, BUT I WANT TO CHAT TO MY DURHAM TSR MATES IF THAT'S OK WITH YOU!!!! I'M SICK OF ALL THE PLEBS IN THE GENERAL CHAT!!!!! :mad:

lol.....anyway yeah now it's just full of the same old questions over and over again. Gets old, just like me! :rolleyes: Hehe

You're such a Grumpy Old Man!!! :p:
Reply 12
Becca
You're such a Grumpy Old Man!!! :p:

Wait until Easter......oh man I will be a HAPPY PERSON in the Easter holidays!

(no more responsibility, no more essays, just REVISION - which I do really well! I LOVE EXAMS*!!!!)

*in relation to essays/coursework/dissertation, grr

(In fact, my dissertation, which is due March 2nd, which I was meant to do research for over the summer and should now be writing it up, hasn't passed the initial research section yet. I've been to Newcastle to look at graffiti ONCE. That's it. Oh man, I'm pooing myself!)
Reply 13
dobbs
Wait until Easter......oh man I will be a HAPPY PERSON in the Easter holidays!

(no more responsibility, no more essays, just REVISION - which I do really well! I LOVE EXAMS*!!!!)

*in relation to essays/coursework/dissertation, grr

(In fact, my dissertation, which is due March 2nd, which I was meant to do research for over the summer and should now be writing it up, hasn't passed the initial research section yet. I've been to Newcastle to look at graffiti ONCE. That's it. Oh man, I'm pooing myself!)

Do it. Do it now. You're rubbish!!! :p:
Reply 14
Becca
Do it. Do it now. You're rubbish!!! :p:

I know, but I picked a crap subject.

(Sorry 2nd and 1st year geographers....)

The geography dept. is CRAP. They give you very very little guidance for your degrees at all, it's absolutely awful I hate it! They admit that they give little guidance and that that is "taken into account" when marking them....but I wish they'd actually GIVE guidance and just mark them harder!!

But seriously, this year we've learned about some research projects that sound REALLY interesting, that could've been transferred over to a dissertation so nicely, and fit in so well with the course this year. But did they tell us this last year? NO!!

So now I'm doing a crappy dissertation that has no relevance to anything on my course, that I have no guidance for and basically have no idea what I'm doing with it. And I've got to write 35 pages worth of text for it within 3 months, I'm ****ed and I know it. I know that 3 months today I'll probably be crying through fear of what's going to happen when I don't have anything done for it.

Their "best" guidance lately has been telling us to "relax" if other people tell you how far through their dissertation they are, because everyone is at different points. Well I'm sure no-one is as far behind as me :frown:

Poo :frown:
Reply 15
dobbs

The geography dept. is CRAP. They give you very very little guidance for your degrees at all, it's absolutely awful I hate it! They admit that they give little guidance and that that is "taken into account" when marking them....but I wish they'd actually GIVE guidance and just mark them harder!!

But seriously, this year we've learned about some research projects that sound REALLY interesting, that could've been transferred over to a dissertation so nicely, and fit in so well with the course this year. But did they tell us this last year? NO!!

So now I'm doing a crappy dissertation that has no relevance to anything on my course, that I have no guidance for and basically have no idea what I'm doing with it. And I've got to write 35 pages worth of text for it within 3 months, I'm ****ed and I know it. I know that 3 months today I'll probably be crying through fear of what's going to happen when I don't have anything done for it.

Their "best" guidance lately has been telling us to "relax" if other people tell you how far through their dissertation they are, because everyone is at different points. Well I'm sure no-one is as far behind as me :frown:

OMG, I remember back in the good old days you used to go on about how much you love Geography and how great the dept. was! How times have changed.
I'd reccommend just putting aside 1 week and in that week ONLY doing your diss. to make some progress into it.
dobbs

I know this is probably no comfort, what with me being in a whole different department to you and everything, but I quite seriously haven't thought about my dissertation since the English department made us hand in titles in November. No reading or anything. Someone asked me what my title is the other day and I couldn't remember cos I've done NOTHING. And having spoken to geographer friends, you get more support for your dissertation than we do!
Reply 17
durhamdosser
I know this is probably no comfort, what with me being in a whole different department to you and everything, but I quite seriously haven't thought about my dissertation since the English department made us hand in titles in November. No reading or anything. Someone asked me what my title is the other day and I couldn't remember cos I've done NOTHING. And having spoken to geographer friends, you get more support for your dissertation than we do!

Yeah, don't you get 3 tutorials of 15 mins each or something ridiculous like that? :eek:
dissertations. lol :biggrin:
Reply 19
Itchynscratchy
dissertations. lol :biggrin:

4th year project. lol :biggrin:

:afraid: I have to do my dissertation two 2,000 word year abroad essays....:p::rolleyes:

Latest