The Student Room Group

NCS

I'm thinking of doing this but I do have questions.Is it worth it? I'm looking to do it in the summer after Ramadan so like mid/late July and August.For the skill in part 2 I'm thinking of media and enterprise as they might be the most useful.. what do they include/what do you do in them?
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Don't waste your time, the people who do it are weridos and weeabos.
Hi! It's great youre considering doing this!
Ignore the poster above, they either havent done it or have had a bad experience with it
I did the Challenge back in 2012 (before it was affiliated with NCS) and can say that it was the best thing I have ever done - really brought me out of my shell and forced me into situations I would not have usually been in. It really helped me to develop myself as a person and I enjoyed my time so much that I will be working with them this year as a Community Facilitator!
Its super cheap to do but because it is so cheap you would probably have to arrange transport for yourself - all of the people I did it with got the bus in and as you do it with people in your area you would almost certainly have someone to catch the bus or train with
The year I did it I did media, and it involved working with elderly people with learning difficulties and creating an information film - it was really fun and heartwarming to see the enjoyment on the faces of the elderly people as we filmed them - it really opened my eyes to mental illness and learning difficulties and had a profound effect on most of us
For enterprise I know the one group created a board game and then went and played it at an old people's home (don't worry, it doesn't always involve old people!) but apparently that was really good too
I hope you enjoy NCS if you choose to do it and let me know if you have any more questions!
I have never done it but that is a good way of spending your summer.
It was decent banter. There were 3 attractive chicks out of 35 so there's that

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by Parkleton
Hi! It's great youre considering doing this!
Ignore the poster above, they either havent done it or have had a bad experience with it
I did the Challenge back in 2012 (before it was affiliated with NCS) and can say that it was the best thing I have ever done - really brought me out of my shell and forced me into situations I would not have usually been in. It really helped me to develop myself as a person and I enjoyed my time so much that I will be working with them this year as a Community Facilitator!
Its super cheap to do but because it is so cheap you would probably have to arrange transport for yourself - all of the people I did it with got the bus in and as you do it with people in your area you would almost certainly have someone to catch the bus or train with
The year I did it I did media, and it involved working with elderly people with learning difficulties and creating an information film - it was really fun and heartwarming to see the enjoyment on the faces of the elderly people as we filmed them - it really opened my eyes to mental illness and learning difficulties and had a profound effect on most of us
For enterprise I know the one group created a board game and then went and played it at an old people's home (don't worry, it doesn't always involve old people!) but apparently that was really good too
I hope you enjoy NCS if you choose to do it and let me know if you have any more questions!

How about for the residentials? Do you have to make your own way to the place and the uni? Or do you all gather somewhere and then go together?

I hope mine will be as good, I don't really want to do teamwork or presenting tbh but would love to do the other sections.

What do you do in the other ones? Sport? Drama? Photography? Art?

Also do they give you a list of stuff you should bring like clothing, special footwear, toiletries?

Thank you :smile:
Original post by Katniss1
I'm thinking of doing this but I do have questions.Is it worth it? I'm looking to do it in the summer after Ramadan so like mid/late July and August.Neither of my parents drive so I'm not sure how I'll get there, what support do they provide with transport?For the skill in part 2 I'm thinking of media and enterprise as they might be the most useful.. what do they include/what do you do in them?

Is it worth it depends on your experience. I did not get along with ny group at all so I didn't enjoy it.

During my time, they provided coaches to take us to the residential areas so all I had to do was meet them at a pick up point which is relatively/easily accessible.

Don't know anything about the skill stuff, didn't have that during mine :/
Reply 7
Original post by peanutbutterjam
Is it worth it depends on your experience. I did not get along with ny group at all so I didn't enjoy it.

During my time, they provided coaches to take us to the residential areas so all I had to do was meet them at a pick up point which is relatively/easily accessible.

Don't know anything about the skill stuff, didn't have that during mine :/

What did you do with your group? Did you not enjoy at all? Do you regret it?

Oh ok, when did you do yours?

What did you do with your group? Did you not enjoy at all? Do you regret it? Oh ok, when did you do yours?Thanks :smile:

I did the residential during the February half term and I "graduated" two weeks ago.

I enjoyed the residential and everyone got along, but once you had to do the social action project I started to hate my group because they were slackers and irresponsible.

I don't regret it because I've learnt a lot about myself as a person.
Reply 9
I did the residential during the February half term and I "graduated" two weeks ago.

I enjoyed the residential and everyone got along, but once you had to do the social action project I started to hate my group because they were slackers and irresponsible.

I don't regret it because I've learnt a lot about myself as a person.

That's what I'm worried about with the group work and I generally don't like it because.. well communicating but that would be a good chance to develop the skill I guess. Did you have to do presenting? :redface:

So you'd recommend me doing it too?
I'm thinking of doing this but I do have questions.

Is it worth it? I'm looking to do it in the summer after Ramadan so like mid/late July and August.

Neither of my parents drive so I'm not sure how I'll get there, what support do they provide with transport?

For the skill in part 2 I'm thinking of media and enterprise as they might be the most useful.. what do they include/what do you do in them?

Hi! It's great that you're considering doing NCS with The Challenge. It's an excellent programme that can take you out of your comfort zone and really challenge yourself.

What you get out of the experience is what you put in, if you don't get involved or try your hardest then you won't enjoy your time. To really get the best out of the programme you have to be willing to try new things, meet new people and not be afraid to say yes.

As for transport, The Challenge organises a meting point where you will be collected by a coach. The meeting point is usually somewhere local to where you live.

There wasn't a media skill when I did the programme in 2013. There was photography, music, enterprise, sport and drama. If you have any questions about those I'll be happy to answer those. The skills week is generally about developing your skills in these areas by working with a practitioner who will teach you new things. You will also get an opportunity to showcase your new skills in front of your wave and parents if you wish.

From my own personal experience, NCS has been amazing and it's opened up so many doors for me. It's not just a summer programme, it can lead to much more if you keep to it. I'll use myself as an example, after completing the programme I became one of the programmes national ambassadors with around 96 other young people from around the UK. I got to help backstage at NCS Live, visit the houses of parliament, attend exciting workshops with amazing charities like Age UK and now I have the opportunity to do a 3 week internship with them (I'm still in the application process for that) but that's just a snippet of what you can do with your experience. I know plenty of other people who are doing other things just because they said yes to NCS

Posted from TSR Mobile
That's what I'm worried about with the group work and I generally don't like it because.. well communicating but that would be a good chance to develop the skill I guess. Did you have to do presenting? :redface:So you'd recommend me doing it too?

My group only had to present twice:

First was to the managers of our region - to see what they thought of it, whether it would be sucessful, etc...
And the second time was at graduation, where everyone talked about each others achievements.

I would recommend NCS, you gain so many skills and connections, I was just unlucky with mine.

If you have any other questions, just ask :tongue:
How about for the residentials? Do you have to make your own way to the place and the uni? Or do you all gather somewhere and then go together?

I hope mine will be as good, I don't really want to do teamwork or presenting tbh but would love to do the other sections.

What do you do in the other ones? Sport? Drama? Photography? Art?

Also do they give you a list of stuff you should bring like clothing, special footwear, toiletries?

Thank you :smile:

For the residentials you all get taken there together on a coach or minibus once youve met, you just have to be able to get to the start point. This is the same for both residentials, and while youre on them they will ferry you around the whole time so thats not a problem

Im not entirely sure what you do for the others but it is always something along the lines of creating something either as a group or with disadvantaged members of the community and then presenting to them; so for example with drama you would probably create a drama piece and them perform it.

Yes they will send a list of things you need in the post closer to the time, or will email your parents and it will be available in that email :smile:
Reply 13
My group only had to present twice:

First was to the managers of our region - to see what they thought of it, whether it would be sucessful, etc...
And the second time was at graduation, where everyone talked about each others achievements.

I would recommend NCS, you gain so many skills and connections, I was just unlucky with mine.

If you have any other questions, just ask :tongue:

Did you have to share a room with people from your group on the residentials or did you get your own?

I really don't want to do that presenting :redface:

Have you stayed in touch with people from your group?
Reply 14
Original post by beaverhausen
Hi! It's great that you're considering doing NCS with The Challenge. It's an excellent programme that can take you out of your comfort zone and really challenge yourself.

What you get out of the experience is what you put in, if you don't get involved or try your hardest then you won't enjoy your time. To really get the best out of the programme you have to be willing to try new things, meet new people and not be afraid to say yes.

As for transport, The Challenge organises a meting point where you will be collected by a coach. The meeting point is usually somewhere local to where you live.

There wasn't a media skill when I did the programme in 2013. There was photography, music, enterprise, sport and drama. If you have any questions about those I'll be happy to answer those. The skills week is generally about developing your skills in these areas by working with a practitioner who will teach you new things. You will also get an opportunity to showcase your new skills in front of your wave and parents if you wish.

From my own personal experience, NCS has been amazing and it's opened up so many doors for me. It's not just a summer programme, it can lead to much more if you keep to it. I'll use myself as an example, after completing the programme I became one of the programmes national ambassadors with around 96 other young people from around the UK. I got to help backstage at NCS Live, visit the houses of parliament, attend exciting workshops with amazing charities like Age UK and now I have the opportunity to do a 3 week internship with them (I'm still in the application process for that) but that's just a snippet of what you can do with your experience. I know plenty of other people who are doing other things just because they said yes to NCS

Posted from TSR Mobile

Tbh, the first part I'm really looking forward to as I've done stuff like that before and I might not be able to come across another chance like this, it's really expensive! The second I don't mind, I like that we get to stay in uni accommodation (do you get your own rooms/bathrooms or share?) Do you learn other skills apart from the ones you've chosen like cooking or something?

What stuff do you get to do in sport, music and photography?

How did you become an ambassador etc? How did you "keep to it" ?
Reply 15
Original post by Parkleton
For the residentials you all get taken there together on a coach or minibus once youve met, you just have to be able to get to the start point. This is the same for both residentials, and while youre on them they will ferry you around the whole time so thats not a problem

Im not entirely sure what you do for the others but it is always something along the lines of creating something either as a group or with disadvantaged members of the community and then presenting to them; so for example with drama you would probably create a drama piece and them perform it.

Yes they will send a list of things you need in the post closer to the time, or will email your parents and it will be available in that email :smile:

That must have been awkward, on a coach/minibus with people you don't know? Did you talk to each other or keep to yourself?
Tbh, the first part I'm really looking forward to as I've done stuff like that before and I might not be able to come across another chance like this, it's really expensive! The second I don't mind, I like that we get to stay in uni accommodation (do you get your own rooms/bathrooms or share?) Do you learn other skills apart from the ones you've chosen like cooking or something?

What stuff do you get to do in sport, music and photography?

How did you become an ambassador etc? How did you "keep to it" ?

When I did it I paid £35 as I signed up early, but there was a later fee of £50 to anyone who applied after the 'early bird' period. Has the price increased? I thought even £50 was a good price for what is included, you get accommodation plus food as well as travel to the venues with that price, and not to mention all the activities you get to do in between.

You get your own bedroom in the university accommodation, I'm not to sure what the bathroom situation is like elsewhere but I know that if you're staying in London for that period you would have en-suite in your room. I was staying at Mansion Hub in Vauxhall for my second week and it was amazing, I got a double bed, a TV plus an en-suite (there's no way I could afford that luxury now that I'm off to uni haha). The kitchen would be shared between your team during the week.

You will probably learn a few skills along the way like the cooking you mentioned. The second week you and your team are responsible for cooking for yourselves (breakfast, lunch and dinner), you would order your pre-set meals during the first week and you're given the recipe with instructions to prepare your meal. It's a great chance to work with the rest of your team to create something. What usually happens is that between your team you allocate who is cooking on each day so that everyone has the opportunity to cook or clean up.

During my second week there was a public speaking workshop which I really loved and was able to develop and I've grown so much from that one experience. I'm now confident enough to speak in front of large crowds and as a consequence have given speeches at other NCS graduations as well as assemblies and being invited to speak at a university.

Here's what happened with each skill:

Sports - The team visited a sports club and helped to coach little kids with developing their skills as well as developing their own skills in sports.

Music - A musician taught the team how to play a piece with percussion instruments which they then performed at the end of the week to the rest of us, it's amazing how much you can learn in 5 days.

Photography - This involved learning how to use a professional camera as well as being able to take a few photos and learn how to use various photo editing software and being able to put together a video of the photographs collated during the week which was presented at the end of the week also.

It's a lot easier to stay involved now than it previously has been. NCS has set up an Opportunity hub which they update regularly with social action projects and various other opportunities for NCS graduates to get involved in. As well as this you can stay in touch with your local youth board and see what event they are planning to get NCS grads involved within the community. But you're not just limited to NCS, you can branch out by seeking other voluntary opportunities with other charities within your local community. During your time on the programme you will be made aware of the local charities within your community and those are always a good start for continuing your NCS journey.

If you have any more questions let me know (:
Did you have to share a room with people from your group on the residentials or did you get your own?

I really don't want to do that presenting :redface:

Have you stayed in touch with people from your group?

You share a room with people from your group, the presenting will be fine if you're uncomfortable you can always get other people to speak (but the point of this process is to develop yourself as a person and come out of your comfort zone)

As for my group, I've deleted all their numbers, I have no reason to speak to any of them.
The choice is completely up to you, unfortunately for me last year I was all set to do it (was signed up, had the dates sorted and was ready to go) but then the people at NCS messed me around and made empty promises as well as taking my money. If you do sign up, stay signed up, a lot of my friends did it and have said it was amazing, I was just one of the unlucky ones😔

Posted from TSR Mobile
That must have been awkward, on a coach/minibus with people you don't know? Did you talk to each other or keep to yourself?

Its up to you really, but I forced myself to talk to people because I knew I would have to sooner or another. NCS is something you need to make an effort with, you can't just expect people to speak to you first

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending