The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

SGIA PhD in Politics & IR

Hi fellow TSRers!

I'm still completely divided between my two best options:
a) PhD Pol+IR at SGIA, full funding for 3.5 years, excellent match with supervisor
b) PhD Pol+IR at PAIS in Warwick, full funding for 3.5 years, match with a team of two supervisors not ideal, as neither of them are subject experts in my field of research...

I am aware many PolSci/IR people here would tell me to go for Warwick PAIS, due to its higher ranking.

But I am concerned of my supervisors at Warwick not being as good a match as my supervisor in Durham. They are certainly very strong academics, no doubt, but represent somewhat different fields within IR than my research topic...

Some of the comments I've read about SGIA are disconcerting: there's criticism towards its overall management, its research quality, its spend-per-student ratio, etc.

Is SGIA 'that bad'?? Anyone who did a postgrad there who would be interested to share their experiences with me? (even PM about particular supervisors/staff)?

Thanks guys! :smile:
Reply 1
I'm currently doing my MA IR at Durham. If you have some specific questions, PM me. I haven't had contact with all the staff there but I may be able to help. I also obviously know a ton of people in the school who could maybe answer any questions I can't.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Quick Reply

Latest