The Student Room Group

The "I'm scared I'm going to miss my offer" thread 2015

At this time of year many people worry a lot about whether they are going to make their offers. For some it's simply a loss of confidence, while others are panicking about that exam that they are sure went really badly and can’t imagine how they will get the grades they need. This thread is for you :smile:

Extenuating Circumstances
If you have been ill or there have been other things going on in your life (eg bereavement) which may have significantly affected either your revision or the exam itself, you should make sure that your school/college informs both the Exam Board and your firm/insurance unis well before Results are published. There is no guarantee that this information will be taken into account, but on the other hand it can’t be if the Exam Board/unis don’t have it in the first place. Bear in mind, however, that you are very likely to be expected to provide some documentary evidence of the issue, whatever it was.

If you have had a teaching disaster - wrong syllabus, absent/incompetent teachers - the school/college should be prepared to write to the unis concerned to inform them about it. Again, there's no guarantee the uni will take any notice, but it can be helpful.

I’m panicking I don’t know enough/the work is going really badly/I don’t understand a key topic
Easy to say, but really important: stay calm. Freaking out is not a good strategy for exam preparation. However bad things may seem, unless you’ve been bone idle you certainly know more than you think you do, and you’ll be surprised how much surfaces when you need it in the exam.

Try and be organised in your approach to revision, but don’t beat yourself up if the timetable doesn’t work out quite like that. Most revision timetables are works of fiction worthy of the Nobel Prize for Literature. If you are too distracted at home, go into school/college or a library and work there instead.

If there’s a topic you absolutely have to understand and you don’t, contact your teacher and ask for help. It is not a good idea to rely on your friends unless you are absolutely certain they know what they’re about.

Keeping well...
Looking after your health is really important. Don’t stay up all night on TSR; try not to sleep late in the mornings (yeah, yeah, I know) and make sure you get out for some fresh air and exercise every day; a brisk walk beforehand is excellent preparation for an exam. Seriously.

Try not to eat too much random rubbish; keeping the fruit and veg and plenty of water going in will improve your ability to fend off the bugs, and generally help you to cope with the stress more positively. Remember to take some plain water into the exam with you as your brain works better if you have enough fluid on board!

I’m sure I failed/won’t have got the grade I need
Whatever happened in yesterday’s exam, however disastrous you thought it was, don’t be distracted from the exams you still have to do. You are likely to have done better than you thought, and there will be very little more annoying than to find out in August that it was the exams after the ‘disaster’ that actually let you down.

If I do miss my offer, what are the chances that my firm/insurance uni will let me in anyway?
No-one can say what your chances are. The higher ranked the university, and the more competitive the course, the more likely it will be that they won’t take you if you don’t meet your offer. HOWEVER this is not definite, by any means. In previous years, many unis have accepted people who’ve missed their offers, even for competitive courses, so do not assume that all is lost. The only time when you will know for sure either way is on Results Day, so there is little to be gained by worrying about it now, and it is a terrible waste of energy - as well as a needless distraction - if you still have exams to do.

Scroll to see replies

Not sure if this is the appropriate thread, but here goes:

I'm doing an access course, so am in the lucky position of knowing my results way before everyone else. I have just missed my firm, but will make my insurance.

My firm choice is asking for 30 credits at distinction and 15 credits at merit (each assignment/exam counts as 3 credits). I will be receiving 30 distinctions, 12 merits and 3 pass.

Because I know these results in advance (these will be officially confirmed in 2 weeks time), at what point should I start contacting my firm choice about whether or not they will still accept me? I have asked one of my teachers, and they have said to contact the university as soon as possible, as it shows enthusiasm.

If this is the case, then I will contact the appropriate admissions team. But by email? Or by phone? Which is best?

I have already contacted them before, about a month ago, once I knew I would be just missing the mark. Their reply was that they could not confirm anything at this time, but that whilst it wasn't unheard of for students to still be accepted, priority would go to students achieving the requested grades.
I have mentioned that I have already talked to them once to my teacher, and he says it would be fine to contact them again.

So, should I contact them again? In what form is most appropriate? How should I approach the issue? What should I mention/refer to?
It is my personal opinion that the entry requirements were too high, and I would be happy to argue my point. Is it inappropriate to mention this?

So yes, there we are. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Reply 2
Original post by Roald-Dahling

I'm doing an access course, so am in the lucky position of knowing my results way before everyone else. I have just missed my firm, but will make my insurance.

My firm choice is asking for 30 credits at distinction and 15 credits at merit (each assignment/exam counts as 3 credits). I will be receiving 30 distinctions, 12 merits and 3 pass.

Because I know these results in advance (these will be officially confirmed in 2 weeks time), at what point should I start contacting my firm choice about whether or not they will still accept me? I have asked one of my teachers, and they have said to contact the university as soon as possible, as it shows enthusiasm.

If this is the case, then I will contact the appropriate admissions team. But by email? Or by phone? Which is best?

I have already contacted them before, about a month ago, once I knew I would be just missing the mark. Their reply was that they could not confirm anything at this time, but that whilst it wasn't unheard of for students to still be accepted, priority would go to students achieving the requested grades.
I have mentioned that I have already talked to them once to my teacher, and he says it would be fine to contact them again.

So, should I contact them again? In what form is most appropriate? How should I approach the issue? What should I mention/refer to?
It is my personal opinion that the entry requirements were too high, and I would be happy to argue my point. Is it inappropriate to mention this?

Once you have official confirmation of your results, you will need to forward evidence of these to your universities anyway, so this is a good time to let your firm know that you are still keen to go there - you can mention this in your covering email or letter.

Stay away from arguing that your offer was too high in the first place. Just emphasise - concisely - how interested you are in the course and uni. The uni's response when you contacted them a month or so ago is absolutely standard - they are obliged to give priority to applicants who meet their offers, but that doesn't mean they definitely won't take you. It just means you'll probably have to wait until A Level Results day in August to find out. If the uni likes your application as a whole, and you keep in touch as you have been and will, should a space come up you'll be right there in contention for it. So, do anything like apply for accommodation that this uni may invite conditional offer-holders to do, and wait and see what happens. Good luck :smile:
Original post by Roald-Dahling

The advice above is spot on for dealing with your firm choice.

I would also recommend checking your insurance accommodation application stuff out. Lots of applocants fail to apply for a place to live at their ins, miss a deadline and end up lookinf for private accom at the last minute.
Original post by Minerva
Once you have official confirmation of your results, you will need to forward evidence of these to your universities anyway, so this is a good time to let your firm know that you are still keen to go there - you can mention this in your covering email or letter.

Stay away from arguing that your offer was too high in the first place. Just emphasise - concisely - how interested you are in the course and uni. The uni's response when you contacted them a month or so ago is absolutely standard - they are obliged to give priority to applicants who meet their offers, but that doesn't mean they definitely won't take you. It just means you'll probably have to wait until A Level Results day in August to find out. If the uni likes your application as a whole, and you keep in touch as you have been and will, should a space come up you'll be right there in contention for it. So, do anything like apply for accommodation that this uni may invite conditional offer-holders to do, and wait and see what happens. Good luck :smile:

Thank you so much for your advice. I feel a lot more confident with how to progress now.
Original post by PQ
The advice above is spot on for dealing with your firm choice.

I would also recommend checking your insurance accommodation application stuff out. Lots of applocants fail to apply for a place to live at their ins, miss a deadline and end up lookinf for private accom at the last minute.

Cheers! I'll be going straight into private accom anyway, but I'll be sure to keep an eye on my insurance anyway, incase application based stuff like this pops up.
Reply 6
Will universities who want AAA accept A*AC or A*A*C. Just curious.
And also would i be able to go through clearing into a scottish university when i live in London.
Thanks
Reply 7
The I know im going to miss my offer because I dont test well at all thread.
It sucks. I've repeated the year and I've been working the best I can, I keep getting predicted D's and C's and its frustrating. Ive applied for a foundation year for pharmacy and Ive been given an offer for 180 UCAS points (nothing compared to other people) and im only doing two subjects, Chemistry and Physics (will need 1 B and a C). I love science, especially Pharmacy and chemistry and all of that stuff but I just cant pass test and its killing me. I feel like I wont meet my offer, and clearing will just laugh at me... well because Kingston is really the only place that does foundation years for people like me.
I'd rather not go into uni at all then do a course I dont like.
It sucks and I dont know what to do. Im trying my hardest and I wont stop trying till my last exam but I need something to fall back on. I ****ed up bigtime and its costing me a future job I would kill to have even if I didnt earn a single penny from it.
Could someone help me and maybe give me some advice? I really feel like I've failed everyone around me :/
Though im still confused on how Kingston made me an offer for F190 because it requires bio at AS, Grade D and I havent got that :/
I did an EPQ last year to fill some time over the summer where I wasnt doing anything productive though that hardly helped.

Sorry for the long post, just dont really have anyone to say this stuff to.
Original post by Juggerz
The I know im going to miss my offer because I dont test well at all thread.
It sucks. I've repeated the year and I've been working the best I can, I keep getting predicted D's and C's and its frustrating. Ive applied for a foundation year for pharmacy and Ive been given an offer for 180 UCAS points (nothing compared to other people) and im only doing two subjects, Chemistry and Physics (will need 1 B and a C). I love science, especially Pharmacy and chemistry and all of that stuff but I just cant pass test and its killing me. I feel like I wont meet my offer, and clearing will just laugh at me... well because Kingston is really the only place that does foundation years for people like me.
I'd rather not go into uni at all then do a course I dont like.
It sucks and I dont know what to do. Im trying my hardest and I wont stop trying till my last exam but I need something to fall back on. I ****ed up bigtime and its costing me a future job I would kill to have even if I didnt earn a single penny from it.
Could someone help me and maybe give me some advice? I really feel like I've failed everyone around me :/
Though im still confused on how Kingston made me an offer for F190 because it requires bio at AS, Grade D and I havent got that :/
I did an EPQ last year to fill some time over the summer where I wasnt doing anything productive though that hardly helped.

Sorry for the long post, just dont really have anyone to say this stuff to.

Cant really reply properly at the moment but in terms of revision you should be doing nothing but past papers honestly, that is how you get an A*, you can know the theory but if you dont know what the mark schemes want you wont get anywhere, just do past papers.
Reply 9
Original post by Jai Sandhu
Cant really reply properly at the moment but in terms of revision you should be doing nothing but past papers honestly, that is how you get an A*, you can know the theory but if you dont know what the mark schemes want you wont get anywhere, just do past papers.

Its what im doing, its helping me find my weaker areas too just incase I do need to brush up on a bit of knowledge
Original post by Juggerz
Its what im doing, its helping me find my weaker areas too just incase I do need to brush up on a bit of knowledge

Great, just keep slogging through past paper after past paper after past paper. My S2 score went from 20/72 to 65+/72 after doing 8 papers 1 every day over half term.
Reply 11
Original post by JuniorXX
Will universities who want AAA accept A*AC or A*A*C. Just curious.
And also would i be able to go through clearing into a scottish university when i live in London.
Thanks
They may do - it depends on how many people met their offer and how many spaces they have. And yes, you can go through the Scottish Clearing as a London resident - once you have your resutls to hand. (Scottish unis open their Clearing slots sooner because their local results come out earlier.)
Going to do Physics at either Imperial (offer A*A*A) or UCL (AAB). I am certain that I'll meet UCL's expectations, but Imperial's offer scares me.
I'm currently doing AQA Physics and Edexcel Maths & Further Maths for A Levels, and so far have 260, 270 and 240 UMS for each one at AS respectively.
The Physics ISA in March was 39 raw marks, and I have no idea how good that is for UMS, but nonetheless, I'm not happy. I've been told the A* is still possible, but it's still a lot of pressure.
I've done one maths module exam (M3) so far, in which I got some of it stupidly wrong, but I don't think that was too bad considering how I may equate my module scores. I'm more confident with my other applied modules yet to come: M2 and S2.
All in all, very nervous in general!
I am pretty much not getting into my firm(Warwick-A*AA) and Manchester(AAB).
P.S This is for Economics!
Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes.
Reply 15
I've got an offer of AAA to go to Leeds, and I'm pretty sure I can get AAB, maybe A*AB, but I just don't think i'll turn my B into an A in Physics. Maths and Further Maths is easy.
Reply 16
This thread is my life right now tbh. :moon:

Need to get AAA to meet my firm offer for ChemEng after achieving abb last year. Revisions going decently well, just wish my marks on pass papers would stop fluctuating; some days I'll be getting A*s in papers and feeling like a god, and then all of a sudden: "A wild D grade appeared!".

Hoping my exams aren't one of those times.
Original post by Sam596
I've got an offer of AAA to go to Leeds, and I'm pretty sure I can get AAB, maybe A*AB, but I just don't think i'll turn my B into an A in Physics. Maths and Further Maths is easy.

I'm in a similar situation with Physics. Having done awfully in the ISA, there are ridiculously tight conditions that I need for an A*. Is this the same reason?
Reply 18
If I have an offer of minimum ABB, but I get A*A*C, but the C is in a subject unrelated to the course, do you think I would most likely get in?
Reply 19
Original post by jf1994
If I have an offer of minimum ABB, but I get A*A*C, but the C is in a subject unrelated to the course, do you think I would most likely get in?
Depends on the uni and the course - but there would definitely be hope!

Quick Reply

Latest