The Student Room Group

While I am repaying overpayment, can I apply for student finance again?

Due to some complicated circumstances, I ended up with an overpayment from SF which I am paying back now monthly.

I want to go back to university on September 2015 (The Open University this time) to study an online degree (at a Full Time pace). I do not have a degree yet.

Because I have already used up 3 years of my Student Finance on a full time course, I am only able to apply for a part time course now, hence why I'm choosing the Open University.

My query however is whether I am entitled to get any funding for the new Open University degree while I am paying back the overpayments? Or would I have to wait until the overpayments are fully paid?
Is it not possible to add the overpayments to the other loans and pay them back when employed after graduation? Or maybe not receiving any grants on the new degree as a way of repayingthe overpayments?

I am really confused and very desperate to go back to university. Any help or information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Hi there.

First of all, OU courses are all considered part-time so will only actually attract tuition fees from us. So long as you never obtained a qualification on the previous course we will still be able to fund you for all years.

So long as you keep up payments with your overpayment then this will not stop you receiving new funding from us.

Any overpayments will need to be paid back immediately, they will not fall into normal repayment.

Thanks.
Reply 2
Thank you very much for the reply and the very helpful information.

I haven't obtained a degree qualification (although I did get a Certificate in Higher Education, equivalent to completing the 1st year of a degree). So I know that I am eligible for funding for my whole duration of a PT degree.

The confusing thing was that while I was registering and enrolling onto the new PT degree course with the Open University, there was a question on the forms about whether I have any overpayments. As soon as I clicked YES, a message came up saying that I will not be eligible for any SF and therefore I'll have to pay for my own tuition fees.
I spoke to one of their advisers about it and she said the same thing (not eligible for the SF tuition fee loan).

SFW and SFE are saying the opposite though, they're saying that I am eligible as long as I keep repaying my overpayments and that I don't fall behind with the payments. Which is what I am doing monthly now.

It is weird that the Open University and SF seem to be disagreeing on this matter. I do realise that it is a very complicated situation and it requires a lot of looking-through, however I think I should be eligible (even though I am repaying overpayments) because I haven't received a qualification as well as that this is my first PT course and I will be studying it at a FT pace, and especially because I am taking out a Tuition Fee Loan only this time, and not applying for any other loans nor grants.

Would you advise me to just apply for SF and wait for a final decision? Or shall I speak to the Open University again to argue my case?

Thank you very much again. I appreciate all your help.
Hi Mary-Jo

It's not up to the OU to determine how we award funding so I'm unsure why they believe that is the case. We will still award funding so long as you have an agreement that stays in place and doesn't go into arrears.

I would advise applying to us so we can get your assessment in place whilst you discuss this with the OU also to determine their position on the matter.

Thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending