The Student Room Group

Can you actually get taller through exercise and diet?

I'm 5 feet nothing female and I'd like to grow a few inches taller. I'm the shortest in my family and when I went to see an endocrinologist she said I should be 5'4 considering my parents height and stuff. My siblings are all taller than me at 5'8 and 5'7. I've also never really had a growth spurt during puberty or anything. I was also a late bloomer. So can I get a few inches taller through exercise and proper diet? There are sites on the internet that says stretching and eating certain things helped them get taller in their 20s and these are free blogs. So I'd like to know. Please no hateful or mean comments please, I feel bad enough about my height as it is already.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Nope. Height is one of the things which is purely based on genetics.

Posted from TSR Mobile
ye if you're still in the process of growing. Proper diet + rest + exercise all promote growth :tongue:

But after you've finished growing as an adult the only way you'l get taller is from stretching your spine out.
Original post by *Stefan*
Nope. Height is one of the things which is purely based on genetics.Posted from TSR Mobile

Your environment can influence your height greatly so it is not "purely based on genetics."

But OP, you can't grow anymore after your growth plates have fused, unless you get surgery.
Reply 4
Original post by Da Di Doo
Your environment can influence your height greatly so it is not "purely based on genetics."

But OP, you can't grow anymore after your growth plates have fused, unless you get surgery.

What do you mean by "your environment can greatly influence your height"?

Source?

And what surgery lol? Are there surgeries to get you taller now?

Posted from TSR Mobile
What do you mean by "your environment can greatly influence your height"?Source? And what surgery lol? Are there surgeries to get you taller now? Posted from TSR Mobile

Source is my Biology textbook. I thought this was basic knowledge.

And yes you can get surgury to get taller where they basically they break your shin bones and fills the gap with rods to seperate your bones so new bones can grow.

It's literally only for desperate people. If someone is like 4 feet 6 and get's it I'd understand but OP, at 5 feet tall there is no point.
Reply 6

Source?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Height is a characteristic which shows continuous variation

As such, many genes on different loci on your chromosomes help to determine your height (the phenotype). It is therefore polygenic

Basically fam, you may have the potential to grow to like 6ft but things such as poor nutrition can limit your potential and so you may only grow to 5ft 8 or something

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Source is my Biology textbook. I thought this was basic knowledge.

And yes you can get surgury to get taller where they basically they break your shin bones and fills the gap with rods to seperate your bones so new bones can grow.

It's literally only for desperate people. If someone is like 4 feet 6 and get's it I'd understand but OP, at 5 feet tall there is no point.

Sorry, that is not a source.

This is a source: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/home/science/80-of-what-determines-height-lies-in-our-genetic-code/articleshow/44495052.cms

Purely was perhaps indeed too strong a word, but your "greatly" is incorrect based on this study.

And wow... such desperate measures nowadays!

Source?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Starving children don't grow as much as non-starving children lol. Same with the sleep deprived.

Common sense bruv
I've been eating well & exercising for many years. In the last 2 years or so, my height has gone from 6ft to 6ft 1. I don't think I'll grow any taller now.
Reply 10
Original post by ChickenMadness
Starving children don't grow as much as non-starving children lol. Same with the sleep deprived.

Common sense bruv

Well, obviously. Read my comment above.

I admit purely was not a good word to use here, but "greatly" influenced by the environment is definitely not correct either.
No lol you're going to be small for life
Sorry, that is not a source.This is a source: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/home/science/80-of-what-determines-height-lies-in-our-genetic-code/articleshow/44495052.cmsPurely was perhaps indeed too strong a word, but your "greatly" is incorrect based on this study.And wow... such desperate measures nowadays!

By 'greatly' I did not mean 'mostly.' Yes I already know that genetic influence is much higher than environment BUT 20% is not a small amount.

Did you fall asleep during all your Biology lessons?

I saw an article where there were two twins who grew up in different families and once reunited when they were adults, there was a three inch difference.
The shortest one was 60 inches and the tallest was 63 so yes MOST of their height was due to genes but those three inch difference is due to the environment.

You might say, three inches is not a lot but that's the difference between a man who is 5 feet 9 and a man who is 6 feet.
Reply 13
By 'greatly' I did not mean 'mostly.' Yes I already know that genetic influence is much higher than environment BUT 20% is not a small amount.

Indeed... but 80%>>>20%.

Did you fall asleep during all your Biology lessons?

Erm, I kind of proved you wrong though, so I should be asking this question...? :P

And I didn't do A-Level bio.

I saw an article where there were two twins who grew up in different families and once reunited when they were adults, there was a three inch difference.
The shortest one was 60 inches and the tallest was 63 so yes MOST of their height was due to genes but those three inch difference is due to the environment.

You might say, three inches is not a lot but that's the difference between a man who is 5 feet 9 and a man who is 6 feet.

Well, specific cases don't really work to be honest. I've seen a multitude of short people living ultra healthy lives, but none actually grew in height (during the growth phase of course). This also doesn't prove anything.

I do accept nutrition (not environent per se) plays a role, as always, but the determining factor is by far genetics.

All in all, the OP can't really do anything with her height.
(edited 8 years ago)
Indeed... but 80%>>>20%.Erm, I kind of proved you wrong though, so I should be asking this question...? :PAnd I didn't do A-Level bio.Well, specific cases don't really work to be honest. I've seen a multitude of short people living ultra healthy lives, but none actually grew in height (during the growth phase of course). This also doesn't prove anything.I do accept nutrition (not environent per se) plays a role, as always, but the determining factor is by far genetics.All in all, the OP can't really do anything with her height.

But you must have done Biology at school? Lol...

You didn't prove me wrong. Height is greatly influenced by the environment. Did you not understand why I still stand by my statement? Lol, it's not very complicated but if you don't get it then there's nothing more I can do.

80% > 20%

I know that. But, as I have already said, 20% is a lot. It can determine if you're 5'7" or 5'9", 4'10" or 5'2"... Etc. So it does GREATLY, albeit not MOSTLY, determine your height. But I never said that it was the most important factor so I don't see how I'm wrong.

All your source did was prove you wrong.

And the last part does not make sense at all. It's clear you don't know what you're talking about. Just because you eat healthy, exercise... Etc does not mean you can grow taller than your genes determine...

E.g. A person who's maximum height is 6 feet (determined by their genes) goes out drinking all the time, is always stressed and sleep deprived, no time for exercise... Etc. it is not likely he will reach his maximum height because things like stress and lack of sleep inhubit growth hormones. He will be around the 5'8" mark, especially if all this goes on around his peak growth period.

So genes determine your MAXIMUM height and the environment determines if you reach that maximum. You can't grow above the maximum.
Reply 15
But you must have done Biology at school? Lol...

You didn't prove me wrong. Height is greatly influenced by the environment. Did you not understand why I still stand by my statement? Lol, it's not very complicated but if you don't get it then there's nothing more I can do.

80% > 20%

I know that. But, as I have already said, 20% is a lot. It can determine if you're 5'7" or 5'9", 4'10" or 5'2"... Etc. So it does GREATLY, albeit not MOSTLY, determine your height. But I never said that it was the most important factor so I don't see how I'm wrong.

All your source did was prove you wrong.

And the last part does not make sense at all. It's clear you don't know what you're talking about. Just because you eat healthy, exercise... Etc does not mean you can grow taller than your genes determine...

E.g. A person who's maximum height is 6 feet (determined by their genes) goes out drinking all the time, is always stressed and sleep deprived, no time for exercise... Etc. it is not likely he will reach his maximum height because things like stress and lack of sleep inhubit growth hormones. He will be around the 5'8" mark, especially if all this goes on around his peak growth period.

So genes determine your MAXIMUM height and the environment determines if you reach that maximum. You can't grow above the maximum.

Whatever you say. Can't be bothered.

I've given you my source, which agrees with me to a very large extent. Anything else is just empty words.
Whatever you say. Can't be bothered.I've given you my source, which agrees with me to a very large extent. Anything else is just empty words.

HAHAHAHA, if you say so
Reply 17
if you say so

Always.
I wish... But no
Original post by ChickenMadness
ye if you're still in the process of growing. Proper diet + rest + exercise all promote growth :tongue:

But after you've finished growing as an adult the only way you'l get taller is from stretching your spine out.

How do I know if I've finished growing and would the height I gain from stretching my spine stay for life? How many inches can I gain from stretching my spine out do you think?
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest