The Student Room Group

Gap year to re-apply for Medicine

Hi,
Basically, I'm trying to plan a gap year and re-apply for medicine, as I didn't get any offers for Medicine this year. I'm predicted AAA and have an offer for Biomedical Sciences. If all goes well I will reapply.
I was wondering if any one has experience regarding my situation and can give me any specific advice on things I should do in my year out? I am planning a 3-month trip to south America to do volunteering work, but I need to do something in the remaining months.. Any advice would be appreciated :smile:
Original post by GrappleX
Hi,
Basically, I'm trying to plan a gap year and re-apply for medicine, as I didn't get any offers for Medicine this year. I'm predicted AAA and have an offer for Biomedical Sciences. If all goes well I will reapply.
I was wondering if any one has experience regarding my situation and can give me any specific advice on things I should do in my year out? I am planning a 3-month trip to south America to do volunteering work, but I need to do something in the remaining months.. Any advice would be appreciated :smile:

im also thinking of doing the exact same thing! Congratulations on your grades btw. Well to get to the point medicine, as we all know, is an extremely competitive course so with a multitude of academically accomplished students applying for each single spot so to increase your chances of a placement your application really must stand out. I strongly advise medicine related volunteering/work as this is always taken positively on applications. Other things that would really boost your chances are to ace the BMAT and UKCAT tests, you have a lot of time for revision after an exam and good grades on these test really make you stand out. Other accessories which make for a well rounded medicine application would be the obvious scenario of polishing your personal statement to perfection, begging for a gleaming reference (from teachers who like you!!) and perhaps some sort of part time medicine related course (St. Jhons ambulance offer a multitude)
Reply 2
Original post by GrappleX
Hi,

I'm also taking a gap year and applying next year :smile: I've got a job as a full-time health assistant (start in July) and applied for a couple of volunteering schemes as well :smile: if you don't mind me asking, where did you apply and were you rejected pre/post interview?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Thank you both for replying :smile: good for thought :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest