The Student Room Group

Clearing - university reserving you a place?

Before going through clearing, is it possible to ring up a university and have them reserve a place for you, that is if they consider you ofc? I am not sure how I should go about doing this... right now, I have been offered a place to study nursing but the course doesn't start until next year and I really want to have it move forward to September. :/

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hello, could anyone advice me on this?? :smile:
Reply 2
No a uni cannot reserve a place for you because 1) you don't have a clearing number and 2) they don't know which course will be in clearing. If you really want to start the course this year then you could ring the uni and see whether they'll agree to change it to 2015 entry.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ClumsyChild
Before going through clearing, is it possible to ring up a university and have them reserve a place for you, that is if they consider you ofc? I am not sure how I should go about doing this... right now, I have been offered a place to study nursing but the course doesn't start until next year and I really want to have it move forward to September. :/

If you want to move your start date forwards to September, the best thing to do is to contact the uni you applied for directly and ask if this would be possible.

In general, unis won't reserve you a space in clearing if you don't have a clearing number. Most unis will want to fill spaces as quickly as possible, and won't want to have to wait for you to be released by your current offer. They may also be wary that you'll ask lots of unis to hold spaces for you and not actually get back in touch with them.

Many unis won't even speak to you except to give you information if you don't have a clearing number.
Generally with nursing if they dont offer you this september it would be completely full and wont be going into clearing.
If you contact them and say you want to be on reserve list for september thats something you could do but dont get your hopes up.
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
If you want to move your start date forwards to September, the best thing to do is to contact the uni you applied for directly and ask if this would be possible.

In general, unis won't reserve you a space in clearing if you don't have a clearing number. Most unis will want to fill spaces as quickly as possible, and won't want to have to wait for you to be released by your current offer. They may also be wary that you'll ask lots of unis to hold spaces for you and not actually get back in touch with them.

Many unis won't even speak to you except to give you information if you don't have a clearing number.

Hi, I'm in a similar situation as well. May I also ask if I have a clearing number right now then will the unis be able to reserve a place?
Reply 6
Original post by teenagegranny
Hi, I'm in a similar situation as well. May I also ask if I have a clearing number right now then will the unis be able to reserve a place?

Clearing doesn't start until July, so your post makes no sense. But once Clearing has started, if you're in Clearing and the uni has spaces then they can accept you straight away. But that would tie you in to definitely going there. They're not going to save a space in the hope that you later decide to accept it.
Reply 7
Original post by Juno
Clearing doesn't start until July, so your post makes no sense. But once Clearing has started, if you're in Clearing and the uni has spaces then they can accept you straight away. But that would tie you in to definitely going there. They're not going to save a space in the hope that you later decide to accept it.

Hello, I have a question:

I have picked my firm and insurance choice but I expect to get better grades. If I exceed my firm offer or meet it, do I have to go to that course/uni?

Thank you.
Original post by Hody421
Hello, I have a question:

I have picked my firm and insurance choice but I expect to get better grades. If I exceed my firm offer or meet it, do I have to go to that course/uni?

Thank you.

No, you have the option of adjustment for five days.
Reply 9
Original post by Carnationlilyrose

If I don't like the adjustment choices on offer, can I just take a gap year? I am not locked into my firm am I? I will have the choice to decline my firm right?
Original post by Hody421
If I don't like the adjustment choices on offer, can I just take a gap year? I am not locked into my firm am I? I will have the choice to decline my firm right?

Yes, nobody drags you off kicking and screaming to university.
I actually know someone who kinda got a place before clearing officially opened at 8am as we get our grades via the online system at 6am or so back at college.
Original post by teenagegranny

Essentially as Juno said, clearing doesn't open until July, so you can't find a place yet. Many courses also won't offer spaces until they've got some idea of the numbers of students who've met/missed their grades. However, once clearing opens, if you have a clearing number, you can get an offer and accept a place.

Original post by Iqbal007
I actually know someone who kinda got a place before clearing officially opened at 8am as we get our grades via the online system at 6am or so back at college.

Clearing actually opens in July, so you can get a place via clearing before results day. You can't get a formal place without a clearing number though (which you can only get if you're not holding any offers).
Essentially as Juno said, clearing doesn't open until July, so you can't find a place yet. Many courses also won't offer spaces until they've got some idea of the numbers of students who've met/missed their grades. However, once clearing opens, if you have a clearing number, you can get an offer and accept a place.

Clearing actually opens in July, so you can get a place via clearing before results day. You can't get a formal place without a clearing number though (which you can only get if you're not holding any offers).

Well he got a place firmed and ready on results day by calling up, so I don't know
Original post by Carnationlilyrose

Hello, thank you for replying. May I ask if this also apply for nursing too?

Would you say it's better to go through adjustment than clearing, because I know my results will exceed the entry requirements? Thanks.
Hello, thank you for replying. May I ask if this also apply for nursing too?

It applies to any course that the university is prepared to accept adjustment candidates for. That isn't easy to determine, since there are no published lists and it relies on candidates making contact with the university and asking. I would think the odds are against there being any places for nursing as it is such a popular course but only the university you are interested in can tell you this for sure, and then only after the results are in.
Would you say it's better to go through adjustment than clearing, because I know my results will exceed the entry requirements? Thanks.

If you can go through adjustment, it's a better option, as you don't need to worry about getting released from your firm offer, and can hold on to this while you investigate your options. This means there's no risk of ending up without a uni offer.

However, if a course is full, a course is full and being in adjustment rather than clearing won't usually make a difference as to whether there are places available.

You also can't enter adjustment until you have your results- unlike clearing which you can enter beforehand if you aren't holding an offer.
I think this may have been answered but just to confirm:
I am retaking my a levels in a gap year I have currently firmed a Uni for a chosen course but I expect to exceed my predicted grades by one grade, ABB, so how can I go about entering clearing in July? I wasn't aware it was available before results day!
Original post by baffledchick
I think this may have been answered but just to confirm:
I am retaking my a levels in a gap year I have currently firmed a Uni for a chosen course but I expect to exceed my predicted grades by one grade, ABB, so how can I go about entering clearing in July? I wasn't aware it was available before results day!
If you exceed your firm offer, you're going for adjustment, not clearing, and that starts on results day and lasts for five days. Clearing starts earlier, largely because Scottish highers results come out before A levels, and Scottish universities in particular can crack on with it. There's nothing much you can do until you have a) got your results, b) been rejected by both firm and insurance, unless you get hold of them and ask them to send you into clearing, and c) have a clearing number.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending