The Student Room Group

GCSEs needed for a history degree?

Hi all,

What sort of GCSE grades are needed for history?
I've read online that they are slightly kor important compared to other things as history is so competitive.
I understand that this will doffer between universities.
If any one is at uni now or has an offer, could you say what you had?:smile:
Late reply! But.. I've just finished my history degree at University of Exeter and didn't require any particular GCSE results for my offer.

However, A Levels are taken into account more & essay subjects are usually preferred.

Hope that helps & good luck!
Original post by charcharchar
Late reply! But.. I've just finished my history degree at University of Exeter and didn't require any particular GCSE results for my offer.

However, A Levels are taken into account more & essay subjects are usually preferred.

Hope that helps & good luck!

It's better than no reply at all!:smile: haha
Great, Exeter looks nice were you in Exeter or Cornwall?

I see cool yes, I was planning on taking essay based a levels.

So there isn't a "standard" that they look for like in medicine then?
GCSEs are important for A levels, and A levels are important for university. Your GCSEs don't hold anywhere near as much weight as A levels, unless you were to apply to Oxbridge. Even then, Cambridge doesn't view GCSEs as important as Oxford does, and your interview, personal statement, etc. are taken into account.

A level-wise, you should obviously choose History, and perhaps link it to English, Geography, Law, or other written humanities subjects, as they complement history well. The most important thing is that you enjoy your A levels, but try not to choose a mix of humanities, maths, science, and performance subjects, for example. Try to keep them somewhat related.

So, GCSE-wise, you need to be thinking the same sort of way. I chose History, Geography and Music for mine, as I knew I needed History GCSE in order to do the A level. Geography was a good match for History, and Music was an impulse choice. Think of your GCSEs as important to your A levels, but not necessarily to your degree. Universities make offers based on A levels, so don't panic if you fall a bit in your GCSEs. My A levels are in Early-Modern History, English Literature, Archaeology and and AS level in Ancient History, so, again, they all inter-relate. I think choosing wisely in your A levels is more important than in GCSEs, but it is good that you are thinking ahead :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending