The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

The Warwick Accommodation Thread (+Guide in Post#1)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ttoby
The bathrooms are cleaned every day, except possibly saturday and/or sunday. Hence it's generally not a problem if they get dirty. In the event that one is dirty, there are plenty of other cubicles available to use, and you could even go onto another floor if you got desperate.

However, the kitchen is cleaned three times a week and it only takes half a day for it to get messy again after the cleaner comes, so bear that in mind.

There are vacuum cleaners available to clean your own rooms, but they're not hugely powerful.

it's relieving to know the bathrooms are cleaned daily:biggrin: thanks for everything^^
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
What did people put down as a brief description of themselves?
Original post by The Dynamic Uno
What did people put down as a brief description of themselves?

This post might be a bit useful.

Basically, talk about your interests, if you like going out lots or if other social activities interest you more. The more you write, the better impression wardens can get and the easier it is for them to place you in the right halls :smile:
Original post by TheTallOne
This post might be a bit useful.

Basically, talk about your interests, if you like going out lots or if other social activities interest you more. The more you write, the better impression wardens can get and the easier it is for them to place you in the right halls :smile:

Cheers!
Hey guys,

I am going to study at Warwick as an erasmus student from October on.
Now here's my problem: I am planning to take part in the pre-sessional english course (lasting from 15 August - 16 September) where students are located in Westwood. My actual studies, however, start not until the end of September and I'm going to stay elsewhere (hopefully in Tocil but that's another story). Hence, there's almost a two-week gap and I've got no idea where to stay.

Do you know if it's possible to move a bit earlier into the acoomodation (in my case Tocil)? Otherwise, I would have to stay in a hotel or something which I would like to avoid due to the extra costs and the extra travelling.

Maybe someone happens to have the same issue, I'd really appreciate your help..
Thanks!
Reply 3985
as warwick run that pre sessional course by the sound of it then im sure this problem has happened to others before. best thing to do is to just ring up the university and ask them, i dare say the accommodation office has some kind of experience and can easily inform you

On an aside i know its possible to rent out accommodation outside of normal term as I had to rent a place for a week in the summer once as i had to resit a couple of exams in the summer of first year (to much partying first year :biggrin:), so there is probably something you can do, but whether its uni or a hotel i imagine there will be some extra cost involved, i highly doubt you would be allowed to move into your room for the year early with no extra cost as its not fair to others for a start
Original post by Hank_Moody
Hey guys,

I am going to study at Warwick as an erasmus student from October on.
Now here's my problem: I am planning to take part in the pre-sessional english course (lasting from 15 August - 16 September) where students are located in Westwood. My actual studies, however, start not until the end of September and I'm going to stay elsewhere (hopefully in Tocil but that's another story). Hence, there's almost a two-week gap and I've got no idea where to stay.

Do you know if it's possible to move a bit earlier into the acoomodation (in my case Tocil)? Otherwise, I would have to stay in a hotel or something which I would like to avoid due to the extra costs and the extra travelling.

Maybe someone happens to have the same issue, I'd really appreciate your help..
Thanks!

This page will be perhaps the most useful to you - the University offers vacation accommodation at £13 per night in Cryfield, although it might only be accessible to current students. Otherwise, contact Warwick Accommodation/Rootes Reception through this link.
I wrote an e-mail to the Uni a few days ago but haven't got an answer yet, guess they're kind of busy right now.
Nevertheless, it's a relief to know the possibility to stay at the Unversity exists. Thus, I'm sure everything will work out one way or another.

Thanks again for your help.
Reply 3988
I really want to have 39 week accomodation with ensuite and that leaves me with Lakeside and Bluebell. I like the look of Bluebell but its expensive and I'm worried it may not be built in time. That being said, my course is Biology which is at Gibbet Hall so location-wise Bluebell would be so conveniant and Lakeside would be much further. Any advice?
Reply 3989
Original post by twinkl3

Original post by twinkl3
I really want to have 39 week accomodation with ensuite and that leaves me with Lakeside and Bluebell. I like the look of Bluebell but its expensive and I'm worried it may not be built in time. That being said, my course is Biology which is at Gibbet Hall so location-wise Bluebell would be so conveniant and Lakeside would be much further. Any advice?

You say Bluebell's expensive - is it so expensive that you can't afford it or would going there mean that you just have a bit less money to spend on other things?

You have to put down more than 2 choices anyway, so have a look at the other accommodations. How important is ensuite to you? Bear in mind that many people prefer to have ensuite, then they don't get their first choice and end up somewhere with no ensuite and it isn't a problem. Where there are shared bathrooms, they are usually cleaned very regularly.

As for the letting period, if you do have to move out in the holidays then there will be a small amount of space to store your stuff (a lockable cupboard in your room and/or a large shared cupboard in your corridor). Looking at your flag, I'm guessing you're an international student. If you don't go back home in the holidays then it is possible to get another room on campus to stay in over christmas and easter.

What I'm trying to say is that if you're stuck with only two choices to choose from then it's worth looking at your criteria and seeing where you can compromise a bit.
Original post by twinkl3

As you have worked 39 out week ensuites are incredibly expensive and only for people with money to burn. It really isn't worth having both 39 week and ensuite so if I were you I would pick one to forgo.

AV/JM/Rootes are right next to Bluebell and cost less than £3900 for the year, compared to the £5650 that Bluebell costs. There's a lot you can do with £2000 - if I were you I'd spend it on something else.
(edited 12 years ago)
I'm going into third year in October, and my housing contract just fell through for this year, I e-mailed Warwick Accommodation and got put on the waiting list for on-campus accommodation, but the woman said there were close to 60 people waiting; how likely is it that I'll manage to get an on-campus room?
Original post by gee_shakedown
I'm going into third year in October, and my housing contract just fell through for this year, I e-mailed Warwick Accommodation and got put on the waiting list for on-campus accommodation, but the woman said there were close to 60 people waiting; how likely is it that I'll manage to get an on-campus room?

I have a friend who put themselves on the list in December, after they found out they didn't get the ballot. They found out they got a place last month in Redfern. As for you, if you're 60th then lots of things have to happen for you to get a place. How many places for final years are there?
Redfern - 216
Hurst - 281
Lakeside - perhaps about 200
Tocil - perhaps 120-180
Heronbank - maybe 150-250
Claycroft - 250?

So in total perhaps there are 1200-1300 places for final years. Some people in the waiting list might have found a place off campus while on the waiting list, say maybe a half of them do, meaning you might be 30th overall. Factor in a few people who get a year in industry and intercalated years, and that might take a few off that number - by guess is that you need 2% of people who currently have a place to drop out. You might find out soon after results come out as many people might leave uni soon after then.

I'd make preparations over the summer to jump into a housing contract at the last minute in September, if you really want to try and get a place on campus, because if you only just joined the list then there are a load of other people who have been waiting before you - some people might have sat it out while others found another place.

Hope that helps :smile:
Reply 3993
Hi guys, I've had a good look at this thread and have a few questions.

I'm postgrad, decided to apply for Heronbank (I wanted an ensuite, and Heronbank was the cheapest) for 50 weeks. A few questions:
1) I hear it's about 10 minutes from campus. Is this really a problem? I'll need to get to the maths department.
2) I also need to give 4 other choices. Does anyone have any experience with "union court" or whatever it's called in Leam? If I had to choose by "Coventry" and "Leamington Spa" (the only info I get), which is best? I want to be close to campus as possible, and don't care about nightlife. But obviously I want some nice shops etc. but it's not too big an issue.
3) I need to move in around Sept. 25th - but the let starts in Oct. I guess this can be arranged with them once I get an offer?

Thanks
Reply 3994
Original post by Usar
Hi guys, I've had a good look at this thread and have a few questions.

I'm postgrad, decided to apply for Heronbank (I wanted an ensuite, and Heronbank was the cheapest) for 50 weeks. A few questions:
1) I hear it's about 10 minutes from campus. Is this really a problem? I'll need to get to the maths department.
That shouldn't be a problem. However be aware that it is a bit further to Tesco, for when you're coming back with heavy shopping.

2) I also need to give 4 other choices.
I strongly recommend that you put your top choices as places on campus.

Does anyone have any experience with "union court" or whatever it's called in Leam?
I looked round there once. It's a nice building, split up into flats of about six people, each having its own kitchen etc. There's also a warden and security there. It's a bit like being in a halls of residence but in Leamington. It's a couple of minutes walk from a bus stop, where I've heard you can usually get a bus quite easily. Quite expensive though, compared to other off campus properties.

If I had to choose by "Coventry" and "Leamington Spa" (the only info I get), which is best? I want to be close to campus as possible, and don't care about nightlife.
Coventry is in general closer to campus. Leamington has the better nightlife.

But obviously I want some nice shops etc. but it's not too big an issue.
There are some large shops in the centre of Coventry, as well as in Leamington (but I don't know Leamington that well). If you get put in a room off campus that you don't like, you could always reject the offer and find somewhere else to live as there are plenty of off campus houses available.

3) I need to move in around Sept. 25th - but the let starts in Oct. I guess this can be arranged with them once I get an offer?

Thanks

You can arrange that, but it's likely that you would have to stay somewhere different before term starts.
(edited 12 years ago)
hey gona be a postgrad in october. Was thinking on bringing my TV along. is there a plug-in aerial in every room and is a tv license necessary? Also is the reception decent?

What are the views of tv's in rooms. Do alot of people have them? Cheers
Original post by shenry111
hey gona be a postgrad in october. Was thinking on bringing my TV along. is there a plug-in aerial in every room and is a tv license necessary? Also is the reception decent?

There's no aerial socket in my room. If I were you I'd bring a laptop and watch live TV online - the internet's fast enough round here to do that.

If you're going to watch TV live then it is necessary to buy a licence. Not very many have them round here (although I'm an undergrad) and those that do use them for games consoles.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3997
Original post by ttoby
That shouldn't be a problem. However be aware that it is a bit further to Tesco, for when you're coming back with heavy shopping.I strongly recommend that you put your top choices as places on campus.I looked round there once. It's a nice building, split up into flats of about six people, each having its own kitchen etc. There's also a warden and security there. It's a bit like being in a halls of residence but in Leamington. It's a couple of minutes walk from a bus stop, where I've heard you can usually get a bus quite easily. Quite expensive though, compared to other off campus properties.Coventry is in general closer to campus. Leamington has the better nightlife.There are some large shops in the centre of Coventry, as well as in Leamington (but I don't know Leamington that well). If you get put in a room off campus that you don't like, you could always reject the offer and find somewhere else to live as there are plenty of off campus houses available.

You can arrange that, but it's likely that you would have to stay somewhere different before term starts.

Thanks so much for the reply.
Original post by shenry111

AFAIK there are no plug in aerials in any rooms, there def wasnt in my accom in first year anyway and I doubt thats different for PGs. you would need a TV licence. The reception was awful in my first year accom (too many walls!) and my friend couldnt get signal even with two booster aerials. There is a plug in aerial in the kitchen but few people want to leave their TVs in public space all the time. THe only people that really had TVs used them for gaming. I would just use your laptop as someone said above me :smile:
Reply 3999
Talking about plugs, I don't think it's been already posted: how many sockets are there in the rooms (on-campus)? I'm guessing 2 per room + 1 in the bathroom for ensuite rooms?

Quick Reply

Latest