The Student Room Group

Civil Service Fast Stream 2015/16

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Champagne Supernova
An educated guess at least :wink: Thanks for the info :yy:

No problem. If I'm accepted or rejected next week I'll let you know how long it took to hear back :smile:
Original post by jelly1000
No problem. If I'm accepted or rejected next week I'll let you know how long it took to hear back :smile:

Thank you and likewise. I completed each of the four tests yesterday so may well be playing a waiting game if my practice results are anything to go by. :dontknow:

e: And good luck!
Thank you and likewise. I completed each of the four tests yesterday so may well be playing a waiting game if my practice results are anything to go by. :dontknow:

e: And good luck!

And you too, hope you are pleasantly suprised.
Can anyone tell me if they only email about the test results during normal working hours (9-5 Monday-Friday?) wondering whether I can forget about it for the weekend!
Hey! What's the usual turn around time if you're accepted/rejected immediately - presumably 'green' or 'red' banded?

For which section of the process?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by wightwight
For which section of the process?

Posted from TSR Mobile

We are talking about the selection tests- to find out if you got through to the e-tray
Original post by Verbophobic
Can anyone tell me if they only email about the test results during normal working hours (9-5 Monday-Friday?) wondering whether I can forget about it for the weekend!

I hear around midnight last Sunday, so don't think it is constricted to 9-5. But honestly I wouldn't waste time thinking about it, you'll hear when you hear :smile:
How can I improve at numerical reasoning tests? At the moment I am only answering about half the questions in the time restraints.

Should I go back to revising the different things that are being tested or just continue taking practice tests?

I have to do my test by next Wednesday so I really want to improve.
Original post by ColyTom
How can I improve at numerical reasoning tests? At the moment I am only answering about half the questions in the time restraints.

Should I go back to revising the different things that are being tested or just continue taking practice tests?

I have to do my test by next Wednesday so I really want to improve.

I just kept practicing, while thinking about the most common calculations you see in the tests until I was (semi haha) confident in knowing what calculations I'd need to solve a particular type of problem, meaning I didn't spend too much time having to figure that out. I also tried to look at the possible answers to see if there's any that definitely couldn't be right but I'm not sure that helped much...
For those who have done the e-Tray, any good materials that you recommend for studying (besides the available one in the fast stream page)?
Original post by Jm1984
I hear around midnight last Sunday, so don't think it is constricted to 9-5. But honestly I wouldn't waste time thinking about it, you'll hear when you hear :smile:

when did you take the tests?
Original post by vbenguiat
For those who have done the e-Tray, any good materials that you recommend for studying (besides the available one in the fast stream page)?

There's a practice e-tray on cubiks website - http://www.cubiks.com/PRODUCTS/SIMULATIONEXERCISES/Pages/etray.aspx

I found doing it was useful to get a feel of how the e-tray works (I'd say it's easier than the practice e-tray available on the fast stream site so I'd do the cubiks one first and then the practice fast stream one!)
I signed up for JobTestPrep. I just took a moderate test and got in the 10th percentile, then I took an advanced test and got in the 90th percentile so this is gonna take a lot of practice.
Thanks for the practice e-tray examples, they're really useful!

Those of you who have already done the actual e-tray - how was the time divided between the preparation and the two exercises? Did you have to manage your time between the emails and the written exercise, or was this done for you? Also, do you know how many emails you are supposed to respond to?
Original post by jelly1000
when did you take the tests?

Hey, I'd done them spread out, but finished on Sunday evening, so heard about 6 hours later maybe. Don't worry if you don't hear early though could still be good news :smile:
Original post by Jm1984
Hey, I'd done them spread out, but finished on Sunday evening, so heard about 6 hours later maybe. Don't worry if you don't hear early though could still be good news :smile:

ah that was quicker than even I thought possible. Confirms that I've been amber banded though, might still squeak in at the last moment or could be like last year where I got rejected at the last minute...
Original post by bluesubmarine
Hi! I've applied for European and Generalist streams. Got a notification saying I'd passed the tests, but only the Generalist application page is allowing me to continue, whereas the EFS page still says 'awaiting results'.

I assume this means the EFS pass mark is either higher or yet to be set? Seems weird as there is a message saying that the EFS ones are those that have actually started to be marked. Anyone else experienced something like this?

I've applied for both of these streams too but had the opposite result - I've been able to continue with the EFS application, but Generalist is still awaiting results. Maybe it's to do with different pass marks within the tests (i.e. separate pass marks for verbal/numerical/competencies)? Or maybe it's based on preferences? I had the EFS as my first choice.
I just got in the top 10% of one of my practice verbal reasoning tests, now I need to focus on raising my numerical reasoning.
Original post by ProperBeau
I've applied for both of these streams too but had the opposite result - I've been able to continue with the EFS application, but Generalist is still awaiting results. Maybe it's to do with different pass marks within the tests (i.e. separate pass marks for verbal/numerical/competencies)? Or maybe it's based on preferences? I had the EFS as my first choice.

What we established the year I applied - EFS has higher pass marks than GFS for verbal and numerical tests, and a lower pass mark for the competency test, or possibly they don't take this into account at all. The situational judgement is a bit of an unknown, but I assume they would take this into account as there is a situational judgement component of the first stage of the Concours process as well.

So, it's possible that you've scored very highly on the verbal and numerical tests but not so well on the competency, allowing you to progress with EFS but not GFS just yet.
Do you receive an email in your personal hotmail inbox if your application is updated? Or are you regularly checking your fast stream accounts?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending