The Student Room Group

Civil Service Fast Stream 2015/16

Scroll to see replies

Im applying this year too! Aiming for the diplomat scheme. Anyone got any good books for practicing the verbal and numeracy tests they think useful to use when prepping for the application? :smile:
try assessment day website. You have to pay but it seems to be the best thing out there & they've got everything.
Bought 3 books on psychometric tests, as well as literacy and numeracy tests. Had a quick go and normally getting 90% but not that pleased. Once I finish work this week I'll spend the time between now and the actual tests revising and practising.

Anyone else bought books to help?
Reply 43
I just realised how close September 1st is!

I did a couple of practices when I first decided I wanted to go for the Fast Stream last year, but will do some more before the tests. As somebody without a background in maths (my GCSE A* was five years ago now and that was a bit of a surprise result that was only possible through lots of revision) it is the numerical test that worries me - when I practiced last year I think I eventually got most of the questions right but was very slow. The verbal ought to be fine (if it isn't I deserve to fail) and I guess were I to fail the competence test it would probably mean I shouldn't have applied in the first place - this shouldn't be an issue as whenever I've done the tests that ask about you and throw up suggested jobs civil service fast streamer has often come up!
Reply 44
Original post by EdiAnl

ANYONE ELSE who did a pure mathematics degree going for STATS FAST STREAM how did you get around this?!!! I may have to do a masters otherwise I will fail at the same hurdle.

Hi! I'm going to apply for either the OR or Stats stream, but your post got me worried a bit... I'm on a Maths and Stats course but seems like they seek people with Masters level stats from what you've said?
Also I wonder what kind of knowledge they check for the OR stream..
Reply 45
I also have two quick questions:
- Can you apply for more than one position, e.g. both for the Statistics and the OR role under the Analyst stream?
- How (if at all) does picking locations work? Are you able to give your preferences at all?

Original post by kajka
I also have two quick questions:
- Can you apply for more than one position, e.g. both for the Statistics and the OR role under the Analyst stream?
- How (if at all) does picking locations work? Are you able to give your preferences at all?

I contacted the CSFS on Facebook to see if you could do a certain combination. Seeing as I'm not interested in the same streams as you, I'm not sure, I recommend asking. You can do a mix of the generalist fast streams but not for instance generalist and HR.

I think you get to go where you're given too. This is probably something you should ask on the Facebook page where current fast streamers respond.
Reply 47
Original post by EloiseStar
I contacted the CSFS on Facebook to see if you could do a certain combination. Seeing as I'm not interested in the same streams as you, I'm not sure, I recommend asking. You can do a mix of the generalist fast streams but not for instance generalist and HR.

I think you get to go where you're given too. This is probably something you should ask on the Facebook page where current fast streamers respond.

Thanks! I reckon since both streams are under Analyst, it might be possible to do. I might ask on the 2014/15 thread here as well.
Reply 48
Bought 3 books on psychometric tests, as well as literacy and numeracy tests. Had a quick go and normally getting 90% but not that pleased. Once I finish work this week I'll spend the time between now and the actual tests revising and practising.

Anyone else bought books to help?

My careers service at uni seems to have lots of books on psychometric testing, including ones specific to Civil Service as well. Maybe it's worth checking with yours if you are still at university.
Original post by kajka
My careers service at uni seems to have lots of books on psychometric testing, including ones specific to Civil Service as well. Maybe it's worth checking with yours if you are still at university.

I won't be going back until mid-late September. I've already bought 3 books. It's an investment so I've bought them myself. Might as well revise now while I have free time.
Reply 50
I found this post in last years' thread quite helpful, thought I'd share:

Original post by d41k57
- The four year figure they give you about promotion is a median figure, as many people from FS get promoted before it as after. It all depends on you - if you can demonstrate that you meet the criteria for promotion when a slot opens based on your portfolio of work then it can happen in 2 years or perhaps less (my boss had been promoted in two years).

- You do have a say in your placements (especially as you get experienced). I am in the GSS so I have longer placements, but, something they encourage throughout FS is for you to use your own networks to identify your own placement/secondment opportunities. In this way you can shape your own career. Even if you haven't found a placement yourself, you will have input when you are being moved. They know you aren't robots and they try to honour your location preferences when possible. I have spoken to a few current fast streamers and they all reported that they have had a big input in their postings and have had the chance to undertake short duration placements within their postings (e.g. working in their department minister's private office for a week) to enhance their skills and development.

- Your pay isn't static while at HEO/SEO (fast stream) grades. There are annual spine point increases in pay and room to move up within the grade without changing grade. Also, you can start on higher than the FS base-pay from the start if you have relevant vocational experience or a relevant post graduate qualification (although this might be scheme/department specific info).

- Fast stream is an accelerated promotion scheme, you get real responsibility very early. The role I will be starting will give me a large amount of responsibility straight away - a scary amount if I am being honest (but if I do it well it will be very impressive on my CV)!

- Training is at the centre of the FS. My boss made it really clear that I have the freedom to identify and act upon my training needs. I have never encountered a scheme that is as training and development focused as FS.

- Ultimately the FS will be what you make of it. It isn't the best renumeration (but it is above average), however in my opinion the skills you will develop and the experiences you will have are second to none. I think you need to have a passion for public service, be open minded and willing to work in areas you never expected you would. Another thing the current fast streamers I have met said is that a placement can seem really unappealing on paper (based on their own prejudices) but ends up being amazing in practice.
Original post by kajka
I found this post in last years' thread quite helpful, thought I'd share:

Thanks, there's so many threads, could you post a link to this one? Plus any more quotations you think are useful?
Reply 52
I just did the verbal and numerical practice tests, which I had already done before but long enough ago to have forgotten the questions and answers. I did well in terms of getting things right (14/15 numerical, 18/20 verbal and the errors were silly) but it is a bit annoying that there isn't a time limit on these so you can't really replicate the real thing. I think they give you another practice once you sign up - I assume those are timed?
Reply 53
Thanks, there's so many threads, could you post a link to this one? Plus any more quotations you think are useful?

It's the Civil Service Fast Stream 2014/15 thread: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2742964
It's 168 pages long and still active, so I haven't had a read through it all, there's so much on there! I will post if I find anything else.

Original post by Shelsey
I just did the verbal and numerical practice tests, which I had already done before but long enough ago to have forgotten the questions and answers. I did well in terms of getting things right (14/15 numerical, 18/20 verbal and the errors were silly) but it is a bit annoying that there isn't a time limit on these so you can't really replicate the real thing. I think they give you another practice once you sign up - I assume those are timed?

From my experience, yes... Since timing makes quite a difference, at least in my case :/
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 54
I found the Civil Service Fast Stream recruitment reports, thought they are quite interesting, definitely shows you how fierce the competition is... Hopefully they will upload an updated 2014 one soon.
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/civil-service-fast-stream-report

So there is on average 23 applicants for a vacancy which means a 4.8% success rate. You can see how this varies by streams in the detailed report.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 55
Just to let anyone thinking of applying for 2016, that there is a new "stream" within Fast Stream for 20`6 - Project Delivery, seen it on the website today.

Here's a link to the page: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/civil-service-fast-stream-project-delivery/fast-stream-project-delivery they also have a twitter feed @pdfaststream
Original post by mjpalin
Just to let anyone thinking of applying for 2016, that there is a new "stream" within Fast Stream for 20`6 - Project Delivery, seen it on the website today.

Here's a link to the page: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/civil-service-fast-stream-project-delivery/fast-stream-project-delivery they also have a twitter feed @pdfaststream

I'll take a look, thanks. Don't know if I'm just over prepared but its a bit a late to be adding new streams?
I'll probably be going for this again this year. I applied last year and failed the FSAC but actually got a non-fast-stream job out of it 1 grade lower which I start pretty soon.

I wouldn't worry about practicing for the verbal and numerical tests too much -- they give you two sets of practice tests, and tell you roughly how well you did relative to everyone else in each one, once you start the application.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by TritonSails
I'll probably be going for this again this year. I applied last year and failed the FSAC but actually got a non-fast-stream job out of it 1 grade lower which I start pretty soon.

I wouldn't worry about practicing for the verbal and numerical tests too much -- they give you two sets of practice tests, and tell you roughly how well you did relative to everyone else in each one, once you start the application.

They offered you a job? That sounds good, can you tell us more?
They offered you a job? That sounds good, can you tell us more?

Yeah it's called the 'Direct Appointment Scheme':

https://www.gov.uk/civil-service-fast-stream-how-to-apply
Direct appointment scheme
Civil Service is occasionally able to offer mainstream jobs to candidates who narrowly miss securing a place in the Fast Stream. Details of such near-miss candidates are held on file for up to 1 year (until the December following their Fast Stream Assessment Centre).

There were apparently quite a few posts available in this way this year, possibly because of the General Election, so I don't know if they'll be doing it again or on the same scale next year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending