The Student Room Group

How Financially Independent From Your Parents Are You?

So I have always felt relatively deprived compared to my girlfriend and friends. I was so happy to work hard and buy a second hand 2003 car for £800. My girlfriend's parents just bought a 2012 car for £8000 for her... :bawling:

So my question is, how much do your parents help you financially? And also when did you become independent

Currently I get £40 a month from them, and pay for everything else. I consider myself still pretty lucky :smile:

Scroll to see replies

I think it's better to compare how much of their disposable income they spend on you.

If your parents have £40 a month disposable income, then you have the most loving parents in the world, but if your parents get £2000 disposable income, they either want you to be independent or they don't love you xD
been entirely independent since i left for uni :smile:
Entirely independent - don't receive any money from them at all. Mainly this is because I am eligible for grants though, and got a scholarship which easily covers all my living costs. I am very careful with my money, rarely go out and don't own anything expensive like a car.
None i help my parents. Buy them food, stuff for the house etc.
I've been financially independent from my parents since I've moved out

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by donutaud15
I've been financially independent from my parents since I've moved out

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's very impressive, especially these days. What kind of work do you do?
Original post by Dancatpro
I think it's better to compare how much of their disposable income they spend on you.

If your parents have £40 a month disposable income, then you have the most loving parents in the world, but if your parents get £2000 disposable income, they either want you to be independent or they don't love you xD

I dont agree with this point at all. Even if they are rich, they worked hard for their income, I don't think it means they love you any less because they dont want to spoil you
You may as well rinse them of their money before you get hit with inheritance tax.

I'm kidding... I'm currently living at home doing my final year of A Levels, so obviously there is some dependency on my parents, but I pay for most of my personal items... Unlike my sister.
Original post by UkeHarvey
You may as well rinse them of their money before you get hit with inheritance tax.

I'm kidding... I'm currently living at home doing my final year of A Levels, so obviously there is some dependency on my parents, but I pay for most of my personal items... Unlike my sister.

Do you drive? If so, do you pay for insurance at all? Seems to be a common thing nowadays of parents paying for insurance as it is so much money
Original post by ScruffyQuaver
I dont agree with this point at all. Even if they are rich, they worked hard for their income, I don't think it means they love you any less because they dont want to spoil you

Did you even read my post?

I said the other reason could be that they want you to be independent, learn to read FFS
Original post by Hitchsslap
That's very impressive, especially these days. What kind of work do you do?

When I was in uni it was a combination of student finance and odd jobs that helped with finances.

I'm working in retail for now and combined with my husband's wages, we have enough.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do you drive? If so, do you pay for insurance at all? Seems to be a common thing nowadays of parents paying for insurance as it is so much money

I do drive. I don't own a car. My parents have paid to insure me on their "run-around" car for around £300. I don't use the car for my personal needs as I cycle/walk everywhere. The only reason they have done so is because I have a lot of siblings, and I am essentially their taxi for clubs etc.
Reply 13
I still live with my mum (moving out this year for uni though) so she pays for food and bills obviously, but I give her a bit of my wages every week to contribute. I pay for anything personal - clothes, work training, holidays, etc. I'd love to learn to drive but currently can't afford it right now, and my mum would probably be able to chip in and help me out but learning to drive and buying my first car is something that I've always wanted to pay for myself :h:
Original post by Dancatpro
Did you even read my post?

I said the other reason could be that they want you to be independent, learn to read FFS

Okay calm down mate, I did read you post. Your proposed two points, one of which was because they don't love you
(edited 8 years ago)
So I have always felt relatively deprived compared to my girlfriend and friends. I was so happy to work hard and buy a second hand 2003 car for £800. My girlfriend's parents just bought a 2012 car for £8000 for her... :bawling:

So my question is, how much do your parents help you financially? And also when did you become in dependent

Currently I get £40 a month from them, and pay for everything else. I consider myself still pretty lucky :smile:

I'm in the exact same financial position as you and have been since 14 and I love it. You can say everything around you, you've worked for and earnt yourself and saved your parents hastle. plus a £2k first car is nice but it's your first car if I crashed a 2k car I paid for I'd be angry... Whereas £600-£800 is calm.
I receive no financial help from my mother, I'm the one who is always helping her actually. I became financially independent from my mother as soon as I started university. But I don't think this necessarily counts ans true independence as I am relying on student finance. But as soon as I get a full time job, even if just minimum wage I'll still be financially independent from her but also from student finance.
My dad pays my car insurance, tax, and phone bill. When I'm at home they pay for my food but if there's something specific I want I have to pay for it myself. Likewise, I have to pay for personal hygiene products, make up, and expenditures such as days out myself.
Original post by EloiseStar
My dad pays my car insurance, tax, and phone bill. When I'm at home they pay for my food but if there's something specific I want I have to pay for it myself. Likewise, I have to pay for personal hygiene products, make up, and expenditures such as days out myself.

Same, minus the makeup etc. :P
Fully independent, but I'm reasonably old for a student so it'd be more unusual if I wasn't. I've always found it a little odd for people to still be taking parental handouts into their mid 20s and beyond.

Having said that, living with your parents a bit longer in order to save for a house is quite a sensible move for those who have that option/need, particularly in places like London.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest