The Student Room Group

A-Level Options?

Just finished GCSE's and considering taking these for a-levels:
media studies, english literature, maths or law, and economics....
is it a good mix and what would be better maths or law?
Original post by hk49

That's a good combo as long as you enjoy them all. Watch some A level videos on Maths and Law and see which one you prefer. Personally I'm doing Maths so I would recommend it but it is challenging so you have to be ready, as is any other A level course.
Reply 2
Original post by KittyRe-play
That's a good combo as long as you enjoy them all. Watch some A level videos on Maths and Law and see which one you prefer. Personally I'm doing Maths so I would recommend it but it is challenging so you have to be ready, as is any other A level course.

I don't really know what to expect from law or economics though, how is maths? I want to do it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hk49
I don't really know what to expect from law or economics though, how is maths? I want to do it

Posted from TSR Mobile

It was alright you know. How do you find GCSE Maths? If you find it orite then you're sorted. I mean I've started some A2 Maths and it's a jump from AS but it's cool. Check out some videos it'll really help. :biggrin:
Original post by hk49

What are you planning on doing afterwards? If you're looking into economics/ related degrees, then maths would be very useful/ required, if you're looking into law degrees then law may be helpful (although possibly not required as its quite a niche subject and not all that highly regarded as an a level).

You may be better off dropping media studies and taking both maths and law? Media Studies is unlikely to help you all that much in most uni applications as its really not that well regarded, although might help of you are planning on doing a media related degree I guess.
Reply 5
Original post by hk49

Defo maths, law is not required to study law and is not highly regarded like maths at uni and maths is a facilitating subject like your eng lit but law is not. I would go for maths.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by mjrd
Defo maths, law is not required to study law and is not highly regarded like maths at uni and maths is a facilitating subject like your eng lit but law is not. I would go for maths.

Reply 7
Maths anyday over Law. Law A-Level is not seen to be a "proper" subject therefore could detriment future uni prospects.
Reply 8
Original post by hk49

definitely maths ...

Quick Reply

Latest