The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Imperial College Applicants 2016 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tanyapotter
Wait, Imperial ask for UMS marks? Where can I include this on my application? (I'm applying for Mechanical Engineering)

Afaik only for Physics but someone can correct me on this if there are more subjects. You can get your teacher to put it on your reference. There's even a space on UCAS to declare your UMS but I'd put it in the reference.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Original post by yl95
Afaik only for Physics but someone can correct me on this if there are more subjects. You can get your teacher to put it on your reference. There's even a space on UCAS to declare your UMS but I'd put it in the reference.

Posted from TSR Mobile

On my reference, my teacher has written a sentence saying that I have achieved 90%+ in everything. I did ask her if she could type my UMSes out but she said that what she put would suffice. What would you say I did - is it too important for MechEng?
On my reference, my teacher has written a sentence saying that I have achieved 90%+ in everything. I did ask her if she could type my UMSes out but she said that what she put would suffice. What would you say I did - is it too important for MechEng?

I would be more specific about what you got in terms of averages for each subject as many applicants have 90%+, perhaps emphasise subjects or modules you got high UMS in. For example, I had 99.5% average in C1-C4 with 97% in A Level Maths mentioned.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by yl95
I would be more specific about what you got in terms of averages for each subject as many applicants have 90%+, perhaps emphasise subjects or modules you got high UMS in. For example, I had 99.5% average in C1-C4 with 97% in A Level Maths mentioned.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cool, I think I'll do that then. Did you apply post a-levels or did you go maths early? Also, do you know if this is an important part of the application process for mechanical engineering?
Cool, I think I'll do that then. Did you apply post a-levels or did you go maths early? Also, do you know if this is an important part of the application process for mechanical engineering?

I applied after Y12 like you but I did seven modules of Maths in ASes and five in A2 because I did FM. I don't know about the last part, sorry! I imagine it would only put you at an advantage.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by OxSarah
Hey guys!I'm considering applying to Imperial for medicine.Anyone else? :biggrin:

Me too and I'm also applying for biochemistry.
Reply 586
Original post by Year11guy

I'm applying for medicine too! :ahee:
Will they look at your application differently if you apply twice? I also want to apply here for biochemistry as my fifth option.
Original post by Azula
I'm applying for medicine too! :ahee:
Will they look at your application differently if you apply twice? I also want to apply here for biochemistry as my fifth option.

Well a uni admissions person at my school said they might think you're not as devoted but I think that was just for oxford. I first put mechanical engineering for imperial but then changed to biochem because they're too different.
Reply 588
I emailed Imperial regarding whether me taking an extra year to retake my AS's would hinder my application. They said it wouldn't hinder my application (at least for chemistry) as they look at predicted grade, persona statement and teacher's reference primarily in shortlisting candidates. Of course that still means your predictions need to be in the A*AA range but this may be useful to anyone else that's in my position.
Original post by Jj15
Yes you can. The prospectus said you can either do MAT or STEP.

ok thanks, i have a question, can i get this said in my reference instead of my pers statement
Reply 590
Original post by lolandola
ok thanks, i have a question, can i get this said in my reference instead of my pers statement

You can refer to this link for details :

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/natural-sciences/departments/mathematics/study/admissions/undergraduate/applications-and-offers/faqs/

Great!Where else are you applying? :smile:
Original post by OxSarah
Great!Where else are you applying? :smile:

Oxford and UCL. I just noticed you're from Italy, are you applying for any italian unis?
Original post by LordIlyas
Materials science would be better for future prospects in my opinion as its future prospects have a wider range. Although I do not know which one is easier to get in to as design engineering is a new course

Thank u ! Thats what everyone is suggesting so I think I'll go with materials !
Oxford and UCL. I just noticed you're from Italy, are you applying for any italian unis?

I'm thinking of applying to italian unis only if I don't get into uk unis :smile: are you interested in studying in Italy?
Original post by OxSarah
I'm thinking of applying to italian unis only if I don't get into uk unis :smile: are you interested in studying in Italy?

Well I don't want to go too far from home and want to stay in London so I don't think I'd apply to Italy. I also don't know how the finance and stuff works and whether there's loans or anything.
What does the Imperial College Aeronautics Maths test look like?
Reply 597
Hey, so I might be joining you guys. After digging around TSR, I pretty much came to the conclusion that I'm not good enough for Cambridge. I didn't work hard enough in my AS year. I didn't start doing research early enough. Funny because I've been wanting to go there since Year 9, but I spend 4 years doing basically nothing to prepare. My grades aren't bad, just aren't good enough for Cambridge, also I can't think of anything to out in my personal statement and the 15th October deadline is stressing me out. So I think I'm just gonna give up on it. I'm gonna spend my time from now to January working harder so my application for Imperial (and my other unis) are as good as can be.

Anyway, no more focusing on that, time to look forward to the future.

I am thinking of applying for Computing with the International Programme of Study. Wondered if anyone could give me some insight on what the course is like.
Original post by DanteA
Hey, so I might be joining you guys. After digging around TSR, I pretty much came to the conclusion that I'm not good enough for Cambridge. I didn't work hard enough in my AS year. I didn't start doing research early enough. Funny because I've been wanting to go there since Year 9, but I spend 4 years doing basically nothing to prepare. My grades aren't bad, just aren't good enough for Cambridge, also I can't think of anything to out in my personal statement and the 15th October deadline is stressing me out. So I think I'm just gonna give up on it. I'm gonna spend my time from now to January working harder so my application for Imperial (and my other unis) are as good as can be.

Anyway, no more focusing on that, time to look forward to the future.

I am thinking of applying for Computing with the International Programme of Study. Wondered if anyone could give me some insight on what the course is like.

Um Imperial > Cambridge for engineering
12 days until I send off my application - the day after the Oxbridge deadline xD

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending