The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Imperial College Applicants 2016 entry

Scroll to see replies

Im gonna be applying for computing this year with 3 A's in Maths (291/300), Further Maths(258/300), and physics(261/300), and a B in religious studies(152/200). Do you reckon i stand a chance despite the B?
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 81
Original post by 1lilypad1
Is it worth applying for physics without further maths (my school offered it but stupidly I didn't do it)? I got 273/300 in AS maths

Posted from TSR Mobile

Depends what your predicted in physics
Does the imperial need an interview for civil engineering?
I have (92%) overall in As.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dhalham
Depends what your predicted in physics

I got 290/300 so I assume it will be an A*. But is maths ability not more important?
Original post by jimbobjenkins
Im gonna be applying for computing this year with 3 A's in Maths (291/300), Further Maths(258/300), and physics(261/300), and a B in religious studies(152/200). Do you reckon i stand a chance despite the B?

Yeah dude, it's a B in RS, a completely unrelated subject... they are really not going to care about that. You're on for your 3 As/A*s in three relevant subjects, I see nothing there that they would complain about!
Original post by jkhan9625
Does the imperial need an interview for civil engineering?
I have (92%) overall in As.

They don't take on anyone without an interview, or so I've heard. So don't be complacent with your results, make sure you come across interested!
Reply 86
Original post by 1lilypad1
I got 290/300 so I assume it will be an A*. But is maths ability not more important?

Mate, you got 273/300 in maths, your ability is fine. Your physics UMS is even more impressive, you'll be fine. Physics is harder than maths don't forget, in fact probably the hardest A Level.
Hi everyone, I applied for physics at imperial last year for deferred entry (starting October 2016) and received an offer of A*A*A after my interview. Got my results 3 A*s and an A :smile: if anyone has any questions about applying/interview/a-levels I'm happy to help.
Original post by gracey11
Hi everyone, I applied for physics at imperial last year for deferred entry (starting October 2016) and received an offer of A*A*A after my interview. Got my results 3 A*s and an A :smile: if anyone has any questions about applying/interview/a-levels I'm happy to help.

I'm concerned that your offer consisted of only 3 grades when in fact you have 4, do they not give offers of more than 3 grades?

Grats :smile: I am not sure whether or not I should apply to imperial :s-smilie: What are some things that should tell me whether or not I would be suitable ? (i.e what would give me high chances of an offer !)

thanks
Original post by Bobjim12
I'm concerned that your offer consisted of only 3 grades when in fact you have 4, do they not give offers of more than 3 grades?

They may well do for other subjects, however for physics it seems not - one of my friends also took 4 subjects to A2 but his offer for physics at imperial was also A*A*A.
They may well do for other subjects, however for physics it seems not - one of my friends also took 4 subjects to A2 but his offer for physics at imperial was also A*A*A.

Ah alright, so it is subject specific, thankyou!
Original post by Patrick2810
Grats :smile: I am not sure whether or not I should apply to imperial :s-smilie: What are some things that should tell me whether or not I would be suitable ? (i.e what would give me high chances of an offer !)

thanks

Well tbh I think your grades so far is probably the biggest deciding factor. They'll be looking for someone with a high number of A*s at GCSE (expecting them in the sciences and maths) - I had 11 A*s but I don't think that is by any means necessary. And then your AS results should really be A's across the board and in relevant subjects. All the people I met at interview were taking 4 subjects to A2 (note that some had a fourth non-science subject). Don't fret toooo much about the PS or interview - in retrospect my PS was badddd and I can safely say my interview went terribly, I just froze and forgot everything I knew about maths and physics. The main challenge is getting the interview, they only interview 50% of applicants so a large majority get an offer post interview.

I would just like to say don't take anything I say as law - I only speak from my experience I am not an admissions tutor!

Good luck!
Well tbh I think your grades so far is probably the biggest deciding factor. They'll be looking for someone with a high number of A*s at GCSE (expecting them in the sciences and maths) - I had 11 A*s but I don't think that is by any means necessary. And then your AS results should really be A's across the board and in relevant subjects. All the people I met at interview were taking 4 subjects to A2 (note that some had a fourth non-science subject). Don't fret toooo much about the PS or interview - in retrospect my PS was badddd and I can safely say my interview went terribly, I just froze and forgot everything I knew about maths and physics. The main challenge is getting the interview, they only interview 50% of applicants so a large majority get an offer post interview.

I would just like to say don't take anything I say as law - I only speak from my experience I am not an admissions tutor!

Good luck!

I have 8A*3A GCSE and 4A AS would you say I should apply even if I think I would not do well at interview ?
Hi, to what extent are GCSEs and UMS used in the (physics) admissions process?
(edited 8 years ago)
What questions should I prepare myself to for a civil engineering interview at imperial?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 96

Well done on your results.

I'm applying for mechanical engineering, and I was just wondering, did they give you any feedback on why they admitted you?
I wanted to go to Imperial to study Chem but after AS results....

Do you know roughly what proportion of physics applicants have further maths?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by navii121
I wanted to go to Imperial to study Chem but after AS results....

What did you get? You can always retake the year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending