The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Imperial College Applicants 2016 entry

Scroll to see replies

I was just checking out requirements for my course (civil and environmental engineering) and I noticed that a modern foreign language is desirable. I've never actually done any of those so how much of a disadvantage will my application be at?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Original post by vuvuzela
Personal Statements have zero bearing on Imperials decision. It it 100% academic as stated (or words to that effect) in their Undergraduate Admissions Policy..

Posted from TSR Mobile

Send me the link to that! At the open day the MechEng admissions tutor told us he rejected a guy with perfect grades because he did nothing but work and had no interests at all
Original post by ememoville
Send me the link to that! At the open day the MechEng admissions tutor told us he rejected a guy with perfect grades because he did nothing but work and had no interests at all

I just checked the admissions policy linked at https://www.imperial.ac.uk/study/ug/apply/selection/admissions-policies/ and they claim nothing of that sort so I think personal statement is quite important.
Original post by theonetruequeen
I just checked the admissions policy linked at https://www.imperial.ac.uk/study/ug/apply/selection/admissions-policies/ and they claim nothing of that sort so I think personal statement is quite important.

That's what I thought as well so many weird myths about imperial on this thread
Personal Statements have zero bearing on Imperials decision. It it 100% academic as stated (or words to that effect) in their Undergraduate Admissions Policy..

Posted from TSR Mobile

From their Undergrad Admissions Policy...
I was just checking out requirements for my course (civil and environmental engineering) and I noticed that a modern foreign language is desirable. I've never actually done any of those so how much of a disadvantage will my application be at?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Pretty sure it's just advantageous for the year abroad.
Original post by physicsmaths
Na not that much. Nearly all people interviewed get offers almost.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by ComputerMaths97
Seriously? Why do they even interview then lmao

[QUOTE="physicsmaths;59970191"]For the bants.

Not necessarily true for Computing at least.
Original post by Notions
Pretty sure it's just advantageous for the year abroad.

Okay, thanks!
Original post by yl95
Not necessarily true for Computing at least.

I think it's still pretty high at Imperial, like 50% ish.

The Maths and Computer Science course looks so good lmao
4.3 Applicants with disabilities:
The College's policy is to consider all applications solely on academic grounds.

From the UAP^

Posted from TSR Mobile
4.3 Applicants with disabilities:
The College's policy is to consider all applications solely on academic grounds.

From the UAP^

Posted from TSR Mobile

That probably means they don't care about your underwater basket weaving club. Not that they don't care about your founded physics club.
Original post by Kamara7
Chemistry is my life :nutcase: I done work experience at GSK and the Sutton Trust summer school at Cambridge, hopefully that will show my interest :tongue:

I feel exactly the same about chemistry! :top: Wow work experience at GSK must of been so interesting!! Ah I didn't apply for the Chemistry summer school :frown: Regretting my life decisions now. I think I'm probably going to get rejected from Imperial because my personal statement is about medicine (even though I applied for Chem with medicinal chem). Do you know if any good unis have Chemistry courses in clearing? (Just in case I get all 5 rejections)
I think it's still pretty high at Imperial, like 50% ish.

The Maths and Computer Science course looks so good lmao

Their website says 1/3 get interviewed
Original post by Kamara7
That's what everyone tells me as well, haha!

Do you know what sort of questions Imperial might ask in the interview?

What I've heard:
They first ask you general questions such as "why chemistry?" and "why imperial". Then they ask you a technical question covering a topic that you may or may not have met during A-Level. And then they may ask you something about your personal statement.

With most chemistry interviews, people have said that it doesn't really matter whether or not you get the right answer but the interviewer just wants to see that you think logically.
Original post by thatcooldude2.0
I'm finding it very interesting, it definitely helps you think about different reactions and why they occur so I think it's helpful for academic Qs- you can apply the knowledge to get an answer if they ask you a pretty hard question. The more knowledge of similar processes/ reactions you have the better really.:smile:
I agree it's quite expensive :frown: but it is a great book. Have you read any other books about chemistry?

I think I'm going to get it! I'm currently reading the Disappearing Spoon :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Blood, sweat and tears went into my darned personal statement...
Original post by Rabadon
Their website says 1/3 get interviewed

Swear they get loads of applicants with rubbish grades though? I'm sure everyone with decent grades get interviews tbh
Swear they get loads of applicants with rubbish grades though? I'm sure everyone with decent grades get interviews tbh

What do you consider rubbish grades?
The thing with top UK unis is that people usually don't apply if they don't have a chance of getting in since UCAS options are so limited.
The thing with top UK unis is that people usually don't apply if they don't have a chance of getting in since UCAS options are so limited.

Tru but imperial isn't an established top uni like oxbridge so there are a lot of optimistic applicants.
You will see a similar thing with the 'university of law' and that new STEM uni opening in Herefordshire; they start thinking they are better than they are and then end up good because they filtered strong students without a solid reputation.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I agree. The stats posted earlier on in the thread (http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3413883&page=49) seemed to show only 302 odd applying. (although this has probs risen since 2012/13)
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending