The Student Room Group

I am a horrible human being

More for my own sanity than anything else, I've just done something terrible and can't even take it back.

My mum smokes, always has - I've always encouraged her not to, but gave up when it became apparent she wouldn't. This has always caused a lot of friction between us - she told me when I was about 11 or 12 that she would quit, promised in fact and never did. I (being pretty immature) didn't talk to her for a lot of my teenage years and only really made up with her when I was 17.

She got pregnant whilst I was 17, and continued to smoke whilst pregnant. I didn't say anything, because I've always gone for the road of not offending people. It bugged me, but I got over it.

My brother is two years old and doesn't/can't say a word. I know smoking whilst pregnant can lead to developmental defects and physical/intellectual problems, but its not likely to be down to the smoking, I'm sure.

My other brother (who's 16) started smoking after living with her for a while. She even lent him cigarettes, and asked him if he wanted to go for a fag with her. I still kept my cool, never told her how angry it was making me. By this time, I was at university, so I didn't see the point in starting an argument with her.

Over summer, one of my friends mums died from smoking (lung cancer), she was 40 and he was less than 20. I cried for the first time in years when I saw her, involuntarily and told her why I was upset (because she is nearly 40 and my brothers only 2). She quickly left me 'in peace' because she'll never discuss smoking.

They quit at new year (both of them, although my brother first). I got a text from her on Wednesday saying that she was sorry, but she'd started again. I got angry, phoned her and told her if my brother started smoking, I wouldn't forgive her.

He told me on MSN today he'd started smoking again (he was in a crash on thursday, so its almost certainly not linked to my mum). I texted her saying I meant what I said about not forgiving you and left it.

I was upset, really upset, because I felt nasty, but she knew what I'd said. I then found out that she had known he was smoking from Thursday but never bothered to tell me.

I rang her just now, and told her that I had over reacted, but it makes me so angry, because she never talks about it. She told me to call her back when I had calmed down. I then said theres no point, because nothing changes. We can't talk about things - she asked me what things, and I said about how she could be responsible for my brother not speaking.

First she said it was unfair, and I gave her the statistic I'd researched whilst angry (1 in 2 lead to developmental defects), then said that I think it was best if we just leave it, I'll forget she smokes, and work it out in my own head. I could tell she was crying, and she just said she'd call me back later.

I feel so horrible, really, I've managed to get my brother and mother to hate me, whilst upsetting her with something I can't take back. I really feel worthless, and hate myself beyond belief right now. I didn't mean to say it, but I just got so upset.

I walked the rest of the way home (I'd gone for a walk before ringing her) with tears streaming down my face, and I never cry.

Like I said, this is more for me than anyone else. Feel free to hurl abuse at me, I deserve it.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm personally very against smoking, and agree with you. When I was a little kid my dad smoked, and I managed to stop him. Good luck, she sounds a little stuck in her ways so you may need it.
Reply 2
I just want to make it clear, because I don't think I deserve anyone pro-choice screaming at me, that I wouldn't care if it wasn't for the fact she has a family (and young child) to care for...
You are NOT horrible at all. What's horrible about caring about your family, about loving them and not wanting them to die or have developmental defects?

All of what you've said is motivated by the fact that you love them, and I think deep down they know that. At the end of the day, yes, it is their choice. But I understand where you're coming from. My younger sister didn't talk until almost 3, and she is fine (member of some national gifted and talented thing, so I wouldn't be concerned about her being backward in any way!).
Giving up smoking isn't easy at all (both my parents do, have tried, and have failed) and I know how easy it is for 16 year olds to get inticed into smoking.
Personally I think it's horrible - I'm a 'try anything once' kind of person and have tried it, but I honestly can't see whats appealing about it.

All I think you can really do is try and support your mum. If she won't give up, just not talking about it is the key. You are not a horrible person though, and I'm sure that noone in their right mind would blame you for loving your family and not wanting horrible things to happen to them. :hugs:
Reply 4
scribble_girl
You are NOT horrible at all. What's horrible about caring about your family, about loving them and not wanting them to die or have developmental defects?

All of what you've said is motivated by the fact that you love them, and I think deep down they know that. At the end of the day, yes, it is their choice. But I understand where you're coming from. My younger sister didn't talk until almost 3, and she is fine (member of some national gifted and talented thing, so I wouldn't be concerned about her being backward in any way!).
Giving up smoking isn't easy at all (both my parents do, have tried, and have failed) and I know how easy it is for 16 year olds to get inticed into smoking.
Personally I think it's horrible - I'm a 'try anything once' kind of person and have tried it, but I honestly can't see whats appealing about it.

All I think you can really do is try and support your mum. If she won't give up, just not talking about it is the key. You are not a horrible person though, and I'm sure that noone in their right mind would blame you for loving your family and not wanting horrible things to happen to them. :hugs:

Yeah. What she said.
Reply 5
I don't think you were in the wrong at all OP, your mom should not have been smoking while she was pregnant and it sounds like you're the only one with enough balls to tell her that.
Reply 6
Why is the title, "I am a horrible human being" becasue I think you know you're not doing anything horrible, as does everyone else. You're just doing the right thing, and you don't like smoking which most people don't. I won't go into my bfs room half the time cos it stinks so much, and I hate him smoking but I don't think I'm a bad person.
I don't think that you're a horrible person at all. I think you're maybe a little silly for letting it get to the extent it has. Your mother certainly shouldn't have been smoking when pregnant, or in front of your little brother.

However, you're saying that she shouldn't be doing it when she has a family, which is fair, but also shouldn't you be trying to get on with your family: surely it is much better for your little brother than his mum and his big sister get on, rather than having tension when you're there? You don't have to agree with or accept her smoking at all. It just shouldn't be the thing that defines your relationship. ?

I just don't think that rowing with her about it is going to have much impact now - you didn't speak to her for many years, and she still smoked. Is shouting at her now going to snap her out of it? If she is going to give up, the desire will have to come from within her (and I speak as a smoker here.) You can never give up successfully for someone else - it has to be for you.

However, if your mum is interested in quitting maybe she should try the NHS stop smoking service rather than just go cold turkey. I have attempted to give up several times (the longest I have done is approx 6 months) and I found the NHS service really good. You go once a week, and the nurse chats to you about how you're doing and ways to stop the cravings etc.
your mother is a grown up your borther at 16 is old enough to make his own decisions. If they want to smoke let them, if you dont like it move out.

You think youve grown up and yet you say stop smoking or i wont speak to you, no thats not grown up thats childish.

My mom smokes and i would not dream of telling her to stop smoking or i wont speak to her, i have more respect than that. Shes old enough to decide what she wants to do
Reply 9
Cadre_Of_Storms
your mother is a grown up your borther at 16 is old enough to make his own decisions. If they want to smoke let them, if you dont like it move out.

You think youve grown up and yet you say stop smoking or i wont speak to you, no thats not grown up thats childish.

My mom smokes and i would not dream of telling her to stop smoking or i wont speak to her, i have more respect than that. Shes old enough to decide what she wants to do

You're forgetting the rather important issue of the baby?
34 person
Why is the title, "I am a horrible human being" becasue I think you know you're not doing anything horrible, as does everyone else. You're just doing the right thing, and you don't like smoking which most people don't. I won't go into my bfs room half the time cos it stinks so much, and I hate him smoking but I don't think I'm a bad person.

yet you are not telling him to stop or you wont speak to him
bunthulhu
You're forgetting the rather important issue of the baby?

whats done is done, for whatever reason the child can/will not speak may not be due to the smoking, it could be caused by the tension caused by the OP. I agree if for no other reason than the mother shold have quit for the babies sake, my sister stopped when she had my nephew (started again though after he was born) though no one smokes around him
Anonymous
More for my own sanity than anything else, I've just done something terrible and can't even take it back.

My mum smokes, always has - I've always encouraged her not to, but gave up when it became apparent she wouldn't. This has always caused a lot of friction between us - she told me when I was about 11 or 12 that she would quit, promised in fact and never did. I (being pretty immature) didn't talk to her for a lot of my teenage years and only really made up with her when I was 17.

She got pregnant whilst I was 17, and continued to smoke whilst pregnant. I didn't say anything, because I've always gone for the road of not offending people. It bugged me, but I got over it.

My brother is two years old and doesn't/can't say a word. I know smoking whilst pregnant can lead to developmental defects and physical/intellectual problems, but its not likely to be down to the smoking, I'm sure.

My other brother (who's 16) started smoking after living with her for a while. She even lent him cigarettes, and asked him if he wanted to go for a fag with her. I still kept my cool, never told her how angry it was making me. By this time, I was at university, so I didn't see the point in starting an argument with her.

Over summer, one of my friends mums died from smoking (lung cancer), she was 40 and he was less than 20. I cried for the first time in years when I saw her, involuntarily and told her why I was upset (because she is nearly 40 and my brothers only 2). She quickly left me 'in peace' because she'll never discuss smoking.

They quit at new year (both of them, although my brother first). I got a text from her on Wednesday saying that she was sorry, but she'd started again. I got angry, phoned her and told her if my brother started smoking, I wouldn't forgive her.

He told me on MSN today he'd started smoking again (he was in a crash on thursday, so its almost certainly not linked to my mum). I texted her saying I meant what I said about not forgiving you and left it.

I was upset, really upset, because I felt nasty, but she knew what I'd said. I then found out that she had known he was smoking from Thursday but never bothered to tell me.

I rang her just now, and told her that I had over reacted, but it makes me so angry, because she never talks about it. She told me to call her back when I had calmed down. I then said theres no point, because nothing changes. We can't talk about things - she asked me what things, and I said about how she could be responsible for my brother not speaking.

First she said it was unfair, and I gave her the statistic I'd researched whilst angry (1 in 2 lead to developmental defects), then said that I think it was best if we just leave it, I'll forget she smokes, and work it out in my own head. I could tell she was crying, and she just said she'd call me back later.

I feel so horrible, really, I've managed to get my brother and mother to hate me, whilst upsetting her with something I can't take back. I really feel worthless, and hate myself beyond belief right now. I didn't mean to say it, but I just got so upset.

I walked the rest of the way home (I'd gone for a walk before ringing her) with tears streaming down my face, and I never cry.

Like I said, this is more for me than anyone else. Feel free to hurl abuse at me, I deserve it.

no doubt you are a credit to ones own self :p:
Reply 13

How much does she smoke? Individual choice etc are important but if she is chain smoking 20 a day or whatever then thats hardly responsible considering she's got a 3 year old baby:frown: How addicted do you have to be to carry on smoking even though your son won't speak to you for years?? Yes, its hard to give it up but there's plenty of help available from NHS etc

You have absolutely no reason whatsoever to hate yourself, maybe its time to try shock tactics - tell her about your friend's mother and remind her that she's got a baby. Maybe if you explain why you feel as strongly as you do she will find the strength to quit.
Cadre_Of_Storms
whats done is done, for whatever reason the child can/will not speak may not be due to the smoking, it could be caused by the tension caused by the OP. I agree if for no other reason than the mother shold have quit for the babies sake, my sister stopped when she had my nephew (started again though after he was born) though no one smokes around him

Well, no it couldn't, the OP said he/she didn't bring it up during the pregnancy.

I don't like this attitude of 'what's done is done' - it implies people don't have to take responsibility for their own actions.
You're not horrible at all, its perfectly normal to worry about the health of the people you love. You won't be able to get your mum to stop but perhaps you could explain that for your little brothers sake she shouldn't smoke inside the house? If she is willing to do that its likely she will be less willing to go outside if its windy and horrible and may find herself cutting down. If she already does this, its a good step:smile:
Reply 16
theres a reason that it isnt recommended to smoke at all, never mind forcing an unborn child to breathe your smoke without any other option... i think that you are perfectly in the right.

i can understand why people drink - to get the feeling of being drunk.
and i understand that people do drugs for the high.
but smoking?? i can't see any benefit whatsoever, you get no high, no good feelings, just smelly breath and yellow nails and wrinkles. sure, maybe its hard to give up, but if she wanted to be the best mum she possibly could, she would do anything she possibly could to give her children the best possible start in life. nine months of breathing in smoke is probably not the best start.

you care for your family. hopefully, you will care for your children, and want to give them the best possible start in life.

you put the health of others higher than they do themselves. you have my respect :smile: i hope that your mum realises that she is doing your baby brother harm, and that she is putting her own health at serious risks.

xXx
Reply 17
I think the OP went a bit far, imagine how there mother feels. They say that not breast feeding can cause developmental defects but no one blames mothers for formula feeding.
Reply 18
you sound like a really caring/considerate person op, you are doing your best to protect your family and not offend them at the same time, you've done nothing wrong.

i've always thought smoking is particularly selfish as it not only damages your own health but all those around you who have no choice but to inhale
Reply 19
We've talked, agreed I got a little worked up and had a chat. I've said I'll just stay out of it, and explained my reasons for doing so. I did also mention about my friends mum dying at 40 (two years away for her) and she practically ignored it, changing the subject to how badly I eat at university (and how its the same as smoking). Its not going to change, and all I'm doing is creating bad feeling.

As I said, my issue isn't with the choice of smoking - if my brothers going to make it, he will; its the fact she'd give him cigarettes when he didn't have any, or otherwise condoning it.

Anyway, thanks to those who replied, even SFC_forever, its a nice way of working off frustration. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending