The Student Room Group

TOO much extra-curricular?

is it possible to handle EPQ, Duke of Edinburgh and Sports Leaders level 3 alongside 4 content-heavy AS levels??
Thanks
Original post by anony38
is it possible to handle EPQ, Duke of Edinburgh and Sports Leaders level 3 alongside 4 content-heavy AS levels??
Thanks

It's possible, probably a very bad idea though unless you're some kind of prodigy. Particularly the EPQ because that will take up a lot of your time if you do it properly.
Depends what grades you want to get, if you're happy to get mediocre grades then it's ok.
Reply 4
Original post by Plagioclase
It's possible, probably a very bad idea though unless you're some kind of prodigy. Particularly the EPQ because that will take up a lot of your time if you do it properly.

thanks, but what about just epq and duke of e.??
Original post by anony38
Thanks

Hi, I'm in the same position as you.

I've started my EPQ, but in Sept I'll go on to do 4 difficult AS levels (but most A levels are hard anyway), along with a Mandarin qualification, carrying on with a Computer Science qualification and Gold DofE.
I'm still going to give it all a go, and hope for the best. If you believe you're capable of doing these things then you will be fine. Just keep on top of the work load (Don't let that drag behind). As well, I'll have two other drama groups and my school play, choirs and sports clubs, so I'm planning how to organise stuff now and over the summer. Definitely do some summer reading - Our maths teacher gave us an AS booklet that we have to complete before September, and so far it's been a great way of refreshing the GCSE syllabus.

Good luck, and have a good summer :smile:
Mo

EDIT: I am cutting down on the extra curricular (sports and drama / music) though
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by anony38
thanks, but what about just epq and duke of e.??

I did 4 A2s and an EPQ at the same time and I was at my maximum. I didn't do DoE so I don't know how much work that is.
I advise you ditch the EPQ. I found it an utter waste of time. So much of your time will be tied up doing entirely unfulfilling bits of paperwork.
Reply 8
Original post by TimmonaPortella
I advise you ditch the EPQ. I found it an utter waste of time. So much of your time will be tied up doing entirely unfulfilling bits of paperwork.

Sorry for interrupting, but how much time did you end up wasting?
Reply 9
Original post by anony38
Thanks

Which AS Levels are you going to take?
Original post by flibber
Sorry for interrupting, but how much time did you end up wasting?

Ah I dunno, I think I was doing it quite a lot for like a month?

All of which I just wish I hadn't done.

But then I was taking 4 A2s and an AS level in A2 year so I was busier than the typical candidate.
Ah I dunno, I think I was doing it quite a lot for like a month?

All of which I just wish I hadn't done.

But then I was taking 4 A2s and an AS level in A2 year so I was busier than the typical candidate.

Would you recommend that I use the time to review books related to the course I want to study (once I decide what it'll be) as preparation for university interviews?
EPQ is such *******s, you can cheat the system and pretend to do it until you get uni offers, then drop it as soon as your firm accepts you.

DofE if you're doing silver is easy to forge... I faked everything, but I presume you mean gold. if so its doable. 4 a-levels is hard depending on subjects but if you do 3 you will spend most of that extra time pissing about anyway
If you are hard working then why not? everything is down to personal determination?

In reality though, that might be difficult to fulfil, A levels are not easy and require time.
Original post by flibber
Would you recommend that I use the time to review books related to the course I want to study (once I decide what it'll be) as preparation for university interviews?

Yeah, read as much around your subject as you can. It will be just as valuable in interview as if you did it formally in an EPQ, and more interesting/less hassle for you :smile:
Not in one year, no. I started Young Enterprise, Brilliant Club, EPQ and work experience in year 12, but I only finished YE by the end of the term (as revision got in the way during the summer). I finished the BC over the summer, as well as doing work experience, which left me with only 2-3 weeks of summer time off (bearable, but not fun- worth it for the grades/experience though). I submitted the EPQ for the May date in 2013, as everything else kinda got in the way, but I submitted it with good quality nonetheless.

So what I would recommend is that you do attempt to try all those things, but don't expect to finish them all within year 12. Some summer work may be required, but it looks really good on your personal statement and can help you to get into top, prestigious universities, so it's worth it. :wink:
Reply 16
Absolutely do able, especially if you don't have a part time job. Just make sure its your A levels that get the attention and if anything does suffer, its your ECs.

These sort of ECs don't look good just for uni applications but for placements if you do a sandwich year and internships.

Out of curiosity what are the A levels?
Reply 17
Yes, I and many others have done many more ECs alongside studies
Reply 18
Original post by flibber
Which AS Levels are you going to take?

Original post by ncp
Absolutely do able, especially if you don't have a part time job. Just make sure its your A levels that get the attention and if anything does suffer, its your ECs.

These sort of ECs don't look good just for uni applications but for placements if you do a sandwich year and internships.

Out of curiosity what are the A levels?

biology chemistry history English lit. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah, read as much around your subject as you can. It will be just as valuable in interview as if you did it formally in an EPQ, and more interesting/less hassle for you :smile:

Thanks; I hope that if I am able to express what I think of a book I have read and write about it in length, I can essentially anticipate one of the interview questions (is what I'm planning to do very common?).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending