The Student Room Group

Really not sure what to do ??

So I get the minimum student loan because my parents are ""high earners"" {lol yeah okay}, but they're not helping me out at university because we don't have a good relationship and they don't have the money leftover to do so because of bills/debt/etc.

It's also looking like I'm going to have to get the train to university as my parents retracted their offer to take me there, so I'm having to use the only small amount of money I have in savings on a train ticket.

I move in in mid-September, but don't register until the end of the month so I'm assuming my student finance won't come in until late September once I've registered.

Without financial help from my parents, how am I supposed to get myself through the first week or so without student finance? There aren't any suitable jobs going in the town I live in, and I can't apply for a job where I'm going to university until I see my timetable. Furthermore, once my student finance comes in, I don't really have enough left after rent comes out. I'm studying physics so my contact hours are already very high, and the workload outside is, so I'm not sure how sensible getting a term-time job is {I know quite a few students and all the ones that work have seen their grades drop because they don't have time to do their work for uni}, and taking a gap year isn't an option because I don't have anywhere to live.

I feel like I don't really have any options right now so I'm not sure what to do... if I get a job it really has to be weekend only but everywhere seems to want people to work during the week too :/

Scroll to see replies

Original post by thunderstxrms
So I get the minimum student loan because my parents are ""high earners"" {lol yeah okay}, but they're not helping me out at university because we don't have a good relationship and they don't have the money leftover to do so because of bills/debt/etc.

It's also looking like I'm going to have to get the train to university as my parents retracted their offer to take me there, so I'm having to use the only small amount of money I have in savings on a train ticket.

I move in in mid-September, but don't register until the end of the month so I'm assuming my student finance won't come in until late September once I've registered.

Without financial help from my parents, how am I supposed to get myself through the first week or so without student finance? There aren't any suitable jobs going in the town I live in, and I can't apply for a job where I'm going to university until I see my timetable. Furthermore, once my student finance comes in, I don't really have enough left after rent comes out. I'm studying physics so my contact hours are already very high, and the workload outside is, so I'm not sure how sensible getting a term-time job is {I know quite a few students and all the ones that work have seen their grades drop because they don't have time to do their work for uni}, and taking a gap year isn't an option because I don't have anywhere to live.

I feel like I don't really have any options right now so I'm not sure what to do... if I get a job it really has to be weekend only but everywhere seems to want people to work during the week too :/

bank overdraft
Original post by jelly1000
bank overdraft

....more debt that it'll take me years to pay off ?
....more debt that it'll take me years to pay off ?

Well if your parents aren't going to help you out, you haven't got much in the way of savings and you can't get a job or take a year out to save up then its your only option. And with a student overdraft it gets retracted gradually post uni so you have to pay it off in a couple of years rather than over several.
Overdraft- get a student account with a big one, mine was 2k interest free.
Original post by jelly1000
Well if your parents aren't going to help you out, you haven't got much in the way of savings and you can't get a job or take a year out to save up then its your only option. And with a student overdraft it gets retracted gradually post uni so you have to pay it off in a couple of years rather than over several.

I won't get the overdraft until my student finance comes in though, so I still can't get through my first week :/
Original post by earthworm
Overdraft- get a student account with a big one, mine was 2k interest free.

with my bank account it's £1500, but you don't get it until you pay in £500 a term, so not until my student finance comes in... so i still can't afford to buy kitchen equipment or food until then :l
I won't get the overdraft until my student finance comes in though, so I still can't get through my first week :/

Normally you can activate at least some of it with a small deposit though. I got £500 activated when I put in £1 to my Natwest account.
Credit card?
You dont need loads of cooking equipment or food, a soucepan a few kilos of supernoodles a bowl and a fork and your sorted for a week while your cash comes in. Btw wilco does cheap pans plates etc.. Ikea if you are too posh for wilko.
Original post by earthworm
You dont need loads of cooking equipment or food, a soucepan a few kilos of supernoodles a bowl and a fork and your sorted for a week while your cash comes in. Btw wilco does cheap pans plates etc.. Ikea if you are too posh for wilko.

I don't have any of that. I need money to buy the basics. All I've got for uni is bedding and a few clothes. I don't have any cooking equipment - no pots, pans, etc - or plates/bowls/cutlery/etc to take with me. Once I've bought my train ticket, that's it there's nothing left. So I can't even buy supernoodles.
I don't have any of that. I need money to buy the basics. All I've got for uni is bedding and a few clothes. I don't have any cooking equipment - no pots, pans, etc - or plates/bowls/cutlery/etc to take with me. Once I've bought my train ticket, that's it there's nothing left. So I can't even buy supernoodles.

Your uni may have a hardship fund to help students out who are in financial difficulty before their student finance comes in.
If this doesn't resolve your problems, defer your place for a year, get a job and sort out your finances.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You need to look harder for a summer job.There must be something you can do like wash cars, dog walking, gardening, ...
Original post by gdunne42
Your uni may have a hardship fund to help students out who are in financial difficulty before their student finance comes in.
If this doesn't resolve your problems, defer your place for a year, get a job and sort out your finances.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I can't, I don't have anywhere to live. I'll have to hope someone can help me out at the uni :/ I just feel like everything's means-tested now so I don't stand a chance :frown:
Original post by Muttley79
You need to look harder for a summer job.There must be something you can do like wash cars, dog walking, gardening, ...

All the summer jobs were advertised months ago, there's nothing left now. All that's left in my town is temp jobs that don't finish until mid-oCtober, by which time I'll be at university, or stuff like waitressing where they want experience. And with jobs like dog-walking/providing any service, everyone wants someone experienced. Believe me, I've looked. I live in a fairly small space with no way of getting out of the town to work in nearby places, so my options are kind of limited.
All the summer jobs were advertised months ago, there's nothing left now. All that's left in my town is temp jobs that don't finish until mid-oCtober, by which time I'll be at university, or stuff like waitressing where they want experience. And with jobs like dog-walking/providing any service, everyone wants someone experienced. Believe me, I've looked. I live in a fairly small space with no way of getting out of the town to work in nearby places, so my options are kind of limited.

I live in a village and the young people all find something ... look in the local paper and go round any shops asking. Shop staff have holidays and holiday cover is needed.

I do understand your problem but you sound as if you have given up. What would your parents do if you were not going to uni? If they would not make you homeless then why won't they at least give you the money they'd spend on feeding you?

I live in a village and the young people all find something ... look in the local paper and go round any shops asking. Shop staff have holidays and holiday cover is needed.

I do understand your problem but you sound as if you have given up. What would your parents do if you were not going to uni? If they would not make you homeless then why won't they at least give you the money they'd spend on feeding you?

Have you got grandparents or other family that might help?
Original post by Muttley79

Have you got grandparents or other family that might help?

My parents are opposed to any education that isn't compulsory - the deal was I could do my A levels as long as I moved out after. And the only way I can afford that is by going to university. They don't spend extra money on me, we all eat the same stuff, so they won't really be spending less on food. I don't want to go into detail on a forum, but I don't have a relationship with my family at all. At times I almost feel like a lodger rather than a relative.

Okay, that's great that your village has jobs, but I don't live where you live. I've not given up at all, if I'd given up would I be so worried? I've gone through town to look at job vacancies, and looked online, and everywhere either has times that won't work {because I'll have to move to uni before my contract ends}, requires a minimum amount of experience, or asks for references {I've never worked so I don't have anyone to put as a reference}. I applied to two vacancies back in February which were summer temp jobs, but didn't hear back.
My parents are opposed to any education that isn't compulsory - the deal was I could do my A levels as long as I moved out after. And the only way I can afford that is by going to university. They don't spend extra money on me, we all eat the same stuff, so they won't really be spending less on food. I don't want to go into detail on a forum, but I don't have a relationship with my family at all. At times I almost feel like a lodger rather than a relative.

Okay, that's great that your village has jobs, but I don't live where you live. I've not given up at all, if I'd given up would I be so worried? I've gone through town to look at job vacancies, and looked online, and everywhere either has times that won't work {because I'll have to move to uni before my contract ends}, requires a minimum amount of experience, or asks for references {I've never worked so I don't have anyone to put as a reference}. I applied to two vacancies back in February which were summer temp jobs, but didn't hear back.

They will spend less on food unless you eat nothing - catering for two is much cheaper than 3. Have you no relatives that can help?

The village doesn't have jobs but people find them or make them - like car washing!

Teachers can be referees - you don't have to have worked.

Go to the library and look in the paper or look at cards on newsagents windows.

I'm a teacher and we do have people in simialr circumstances but there is always a solution -
I'd check out the Uni website as well. It's a little late in the day, but I know some uni's (like York where I have applied) offer grants you can apply for.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending