The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

English (set 1, no idea why, I hate it XD)

Science (set 1)
RE (set 1)
Maths (set 3)
My other subjects are mixed classes :3
English,Citizenship,RE same class set 1
Maths should be set 2 but they mixed set 1 and 2
Science set 1
My other subjects were mixed ability
Only Maths and science were setted

maths - top set
Science -single
Why are people's RE setted? RE was a piss about
Reply 5
English Language (set 1)
English Lit (set 1)
Science (set 1)
Geography (set 1)
History (set 1)
ICT (set 1)
Spanish (Mixed Ability)
Maths (Set 2)
We only has sets for 4 subjects so:
English (lit/lang) (set 1)
Science (set 1)
Geography (set 1)
Mathematics (set 2)

There were three in each but this is out of the accelerated group.
It went like this
Accelerated
Core
Progress
There were three sets in each group.

Posted from TSR Mobile
At my school we have sets 1-5(1 being the highest and 5 being the lowest) from year 7-11

In RE, i was in the lowest class which was ironic because i remember getting like a level 6 et the end of year 9 and came out with a B at GCSE.

People in the lowest sets in my school got to do the higher paper for maths, English and science if they did exceptionally well in their mocks.
Reply 8
Maths - always 1
English - always 1
Science - always 1
Spanish -was in set 3(horrible) then moved up to set 2 for GCSE years
PE - always 1
For got to mention, i was in set 2/3 in history which was ironic aswell because me and history did not get along all the way till year 11.
We had bands and sets when I was at school.

Each band had 5 sets within it and there were 2 bands. So Band 1 had sets 1/2/3/4/5 and Band 2 had sets 1/2/3/4/5. Band 1 were academically strong. Band 1, set 1 were clever clogs and less so down the bands and sets. So for each subject we were 'band something, set something'. Everyone was in the same band for all subjects, and most people were in the same set for everything too but a few people were a set higher or lower for a couple of subjects.

There used to be a really good reason for being in lower sets....
I was in band 1 set 1 and band 1 set 2 for everything except Maths for which I was in Band 1 set 3. At the time Maths was tiered so you either did Higher, Intermediate or Foundation. If you were in Band 1 set 1 and 2, then you had to sit the Higher paper - you had no choice, the the rest of band 1 sat Intermediate and band 2 sat Foundation. The highest you could get in Higher was A, Inter B and Lower C and the marks you needed for a B were less on Inter than Higher and the marks you needed for a C were less on Foundation than Inter.

I was never going to get an A so I wanted a B. It was easier to get a B on the Inter paper than the Higher paper and the certificate didn't say which paper you sat.

You couldn't request to be moved up or down sets or bands - it was all based on your performance. So I started handing in terrible homework and classwork whilst in band 1 set 2 (Higher paper class) until I was asked if I'd feel better in a lower set. I got moved to a lower set on the basis that I found higher maths difficult (not a complete lie) and sat the Intermediate paper. Got my B at GCSE. Tactical set moving FTW. There were people in band 1 set 1 and 2 who didn't get an A on the Higher paper and they had to get more marks for their B than I did for my B.

I don't think you can do tactical set moving anymore since all the papers are the same now, but if you can I highly (or should that be intermediately) recommend it.
(edited 8 years ago)
English - set 2 therefore P.E/R.E automatically set 2

Science - set 2 but got moved down to set 3 for GCSE so I ended up doing double science as opposed to triple

Maths (we had 8. Sets 1A to 3A did higher tier and 3B to 4B did foundation) I was in 2B but got moved up to 2A

Everything else was mixed ability.
We had colours in primary school and each table was a colour. Red was top followed by yellow, green and orange. Obviously I was on the red table for everything. :smug:

Then in years 7-9 we had sets. I was pretty much in set one for everything except French. I was in set two for that, I swear the French teacher had a grudge against me.
lol I was in set 2 for English and Science, but for Maths top set. Funnily I achieved higher in Eng Sci than Maths! This was for GCSE
In middle school:
Humanities/ICT: 1
Maths: 1 (moved up in year 8)
English: 1
Science: 1
MFL: 1

high school:
RE/PE: 1
Maths: 1 (moved up in year 11)
English: 2
Science: not setted other than being in a group who did double science
MFL: we were the only set doing German so we were mixed ability
I was set 3 or 4 across the board. C/D borderline.
Original post by TheInfiltrator
Why are people's RE setted? RE was a piss about

My school have ability sets for RE because it's a core subject at my school (it's a Catholic school, so it has to be XD)
Original post by Panda2199
My school have ability sets for RE because it's a core subject at my school (it's a Catholic school, so it has to be XD)

I suppose you weren't forced to learn about ****ing Islam then :p:
Original post by TheInfiltrator
I suppose you weren't forced to learn about ****ing Islam then :p:

We are forced to learn about Islam believe it or not😂😂
We have to study Catholic beliefs and beliefs on any other main religion, so my school chose Islam😋
We didn't have sets:biggrin:

Latest