The Student Room Group

People expecting me to drive half-way round the world

Chrissakes I passed my test less than 3 weeks ago! Why is everyone expecting me to drive to Australia and back?

People seem to forget how they felt just after passing their test. There's so many cars on the road and so many idiots on the road. I am only wanting to do small drives at this stage. But all the time people are saying "Why not drive yourself to X?".
Well first, I'm terrible with navigation. Second, I'm not good at parking, and I haven't learned how to bay park in my new car yet. I WILL end up hitting a car.

And not to mention, maybe, just maybe, at this stage, I don't have the confidence to drive right through a city centre alone. Is it at all feasible that I am not confident enough to belt down a dual carriageway and their horrible complex roundabouts (especially after my second mock test).
People always suddenly want to get the bus or walk as soon as paying for a ride comes into the equation!

Minecraft, just do what you're comfortable with. if you don't want to get into the whole "I'm a new driver" explanation just simply say I cba to drive or, haven't got enough petrol, 😄

As far as bay parking goes, this is pretty much up to practising. When I got my first car, I went to the very back bit of car parks (like wayyyy back where no one goes) and just constantly practised. (Still haven't got it)
But I can parellel park in my car now - because all I did was praticse.

My boyfriend started getting that impatient with me, he'd leave ME outside and I'd just carry on for another 20 minutes perfecting my parking 😂
Same. You can avoid bay parking really, especially if you're in a small vehicle.

I know exactly how you feel Mincecraft. I remember a few months after passing, my sisters boyfriend told me to drive to see them in my car. I live in South Wales, they live in central London...
Reply 3
Personally I wouldn't get so up tight about driving to unknown places, or driving far, or even parking.

Unknown places, you'll likely be more aware are drive better than around the roads you know.

Crap at navigation, get a sat nav, or a sat nav app on the phone, great little things, even if you're driving to places you kind of know, its a bit of a reassurance that if you do get lost its there, and you have that voice telling you where to go, just like your instructor done

Driving longer distances, you'll settle down in to it after a little while, you'll be surprised how quickly you settle in to it, longer drives on dual carriageways, motorways etc are generally easier and more relaxing than pootling around on the local roads to find your feet, you get up to 5th and 70 odd or whatever and then just take care of the space around you, on local roads you're 'driving' more, having to think more etc

Bay parking or even parking in general, you can generally wing it and just find somewhere to park that's not too tasking, there is always somewhere you can just pull forwards in to, or that gap that's big enough to get in to without getting too near other cars.

Just get out there and do it, quit fretting, you'll just make it seem worse than it is, just take care of what you're doing and your own space, let other drivers take care of their own, anyone that has been on the road for even a short time can see a newly passed driver a mile off, and most will probably hold back a little and expect you to do the odd weird thing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending