The Student Room Group

The Who's Self Teaching Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
Wow that's fast! And I'monly just beginning because last term was just a busy mess. How long did it take you to complete? I think it will take me up to december to go over everything again.

Start of September - End of October.

We should help each other out! :biggrin:

A2 Chem looks a lot more fun. I enjoyed mechanisms and redox reactions form AS.
Original post by High Stakes
Start of September - End of October.

We should help each other out! :biggrin:

A2 Chem looks a lot more fun. I enjoyed mechanisms and redox reactions form AS.

2 months :smile: Yay you gave me hopeeee :biggrin: I'm actually only doing AS :tongue: I liked mechanisms not redox though :s-smilie:

Yes we should and moral support!!!!
2 months :smile: Yay you gave me hopeeee :biggrin: I'm actually only doing AS :tongue: I liked mechanisms not redox though :s-smilie:

Yes we should and moral support!!!!

Let me know if you have any questions & where you're at right now. :smile:

You've signed the contract anyway. You need to attain the stellar grades that you've listed on my thread. :devil:

I could possibly gather up other Chem students and get maybe a kik/whatsapp group (hopefully one that doesn't turn into a chat-fest).
Let me know if you have any questions & where you're at right now. :smile:

You've signed the contract anyway. You need to attain the stellar grades that you've listed on my thread. :devil:

I could possibly gather up other Chem students and get maybe a kik/whatsapp group (hopefully one that doesn't turn into a chat-fest).

Whats app please and it will! :biggrin:

Yep I am actually just starting but I was always okay with the calculation part, so I'm planning on starting with enthalpy/Hess cycle first :smile: then going back to calculations. Then organic and so on...
Whats app please and it will! :biggrin:

Yep I am actually just starting but I was always okay with the calculation part, so I'm planning on starting with enthalpy/Hess cycle first :smile: then going back to calculations. Then organic and so on...

That seems like a good idea! Can I ask what other A levels you're doing to gauge how much work you're gonna have to do throughout the year?
Reply 25
Im self teaching Further Maths and Further Maths Additional
Reply 26

Mechanisms are the best
Oh crap still haven't booked exams yet for a levels. I need to get off my ass and do it now

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm doing AS biology (old spec), AS chemistry (old spec) and psychology. i'm retaking all of them apart from the coursework. Additionally i'm studying AS level maths as well.

I'm doing all of this as a private candidate. On my own, no school.
Anyone else in a similar situation?
Original post by Montypower
I'm doing AS biology (old spec), AS chemistry (old spec) and psychology. i'm retaking all of them apart from the coursework. Additionally i'm studying AS level maths as well.

Well, @Princepieman is doing Maths, Further Maths & Economics, but he's doing the full A levels in one year on his own. :smile:

Well, @Princepieman is doing Maths, Further Maths & Economics, but he's doing the full A levels in one year on his own. :smile:

Bonjour! Yeah, I am indeed doing all of those by myself! I guess you just need a very solid schedule, have a set time you want to get up every day then work through subjects in 'blocks'. So for Econ, I focus on just the first unit for like 5-6 weeks but put in maybe 20-30 hours a week for it as I've never studied it before. The goal is to establish a pace at which you need to go through each of the sub-sections, that way the timing itself doesn't really matter.

For Maths, I've done all the topics before so it's not too bad. But I just methodically go through the textbook questions then switch to harder past papers - doing probably 1-2 past papers a day for the first two units. Further Maths is similar, focus on the AS units (in your case half the AS content) in the first couple of months (from September to December) and the A2 (the latter half of AS for you) in the latter half (January to April).

Basically, draw up a roadmap of every single subsection of your subjects. Then establish how many a week you would like to go through, then just execute. I personally like a slightly fast pace with practice sessions every other week and then 2-3 mock papers at the end of a unit.

As for the actual learning, find what works best for you. I like writing out notes, then watching youtube videos about what I've learnt. But you might be different. It's a bit more tricky without a teacher but it can be done if you really push to understand whatever it is you are studying.

Remember to have breaks!!!! I do a solid 50-60 minutes of work then watch an anime episode or browse TSR, or nap haha, then repeat.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Princepieman
Bonjour! Yeah, I am indeed doing all of those by myself! I guess you just need a very solid schedule, have a set time you want to get up every day then work through subjects in 'blocks'. So for Econ, I focus on just the first unit for like 5-6 weeks but put in maybe 20-30 hours a week for it as I've never studied it before. The goal is to establish a pace at which you need to go through each of the sub-sections, that way the timing itself doesn't really matter.

For Maths, I've done all the topics before so it's not too bad. But I just methodically go through the textbook questions then switch to harder past papers - doing probably 1-2 past papers a day for the first two units. Further Maths is similar, focus on the AS units (in your case half the AS content) in the first couple of months (from September to December) and the A2 (the latter half of AS for you) in the latter half (January to April).

Basically, draw up a roadmap of every single subsection of your subjects. Then establish how many a week you would like to go through, then just execute. I personally like a slightly fast pace with practice sessions every other week and then 2-3 mock papers at the end of a unit.

As for the actual learning, find what works best for you. I like writing out notes, then watching youtube videos about what I've learnt. But you might be different. It's a bit more tricky without a teacher but it can be done if you really push to understand whatever it is you are studying.

Remember to have breaks!!!! I do a solid 50-60 minutes of work then watch an anime episode or browse TSR, or nap haha, then repeat.

Haha thanks very much for your reply. The thing is I already have a schedule, I'm studying at a good pace too. However my problem is more in the long term. Since if I do A2 next year for chem and biology, there probably won't be any school teaching the old specification and I would probably never be able to complete my coursework or practicle exams for my subjects. However I'm sure there will be stuff available for A2 retakers (for those who will do bad this year in A2 at chem or bio) Also do you guys have a group or something to help eachother out because I think that'd be great.

P.s Hey princepieman, +1 rep if you can guess what my avatar is.
Haha thanks very much for your reply. The thing is I already have a schedule, I'm studying at a good pace too. However my problem is more in the long term. Since if I do A2 next year for chem and biology, there probably won't be any school teaching the old specification and I would probably never be able to complete my coursework or practicle exams for my subjects. However I'm sure there will be stuff available for A2 retakers (for those who will do bad this year in A2 at chem or bio) Also do you guys have a group or something to help eachother out because I think that'd be great.

P.s Hey princepieman, +1 rep if you can guess what my avatar is.

Too much of an anime fan myself. That's code geass right? (pls be right)

And I'm doing the whole Chem spec AS & A2.
Too much of an anime fan myself. That's code geass right? (pls be right)

And I'm doing the whole Chem spec AS & A2.

That's awesome, you got it right wohoo :smile:
I would have done both the AS and A2 this year too but I have don't enough money.
Going to give you a rep and prince.
I read earlier that you might make a whatsapp group. I think you should if you don't mind working together.

This might be a little sad, but since I have left school I kinda have no one to talk to with about school stuff. hehe
Reply 34
If you are, post here!

I'm self teaching the full Chemistry A level this year.

I'm self teaching A2 math, chem and bio ocr. I'm wondering if i should add on an AS in further maths just to make it more exciting :P
Reply 35
Original post by taeffa
I'm self teaching A2 math, chem and bio ocr. I'm wondering if i should add on an AS in further maths just to make it more exciting :P

What resources do you use?

Posted from TSR Mobile
For those that are self-teaching A-Levels - how much is each one costing you, and what are the reasons you're self-teaching instead of doing them via a college/sixth form? Curious to know.
Original post by Hashim123
For those that are self-teaching A-Levels - how much is each one costing you, and what are the reasons you're self-teaching instead of doing them via a college/sixth form? Curious to know.

£95 per unit

Ext. circumstances smashed me last year, and I thought working through stuff by myself suited me better than not learning anything in class. I've also found that with occasional tutor input, self-teaching is much more engaging - almost a 'lite' version of university. Another reason was that the schools offering one year a-levels were charging upwards of £15-18k for the year, imo, that is ridiculous.

Posted from TSR Mobile
£95 per unit

Ext. circumstances smashed me last year, and I thought working through stuff by myself suited me better than not learning anything in class. I've also found that with occasional tutor input, self-teaching is much more engaging - almost a 'lite' version of university. Another reason was that the schools offering one year a-levels were charging upwards of £15-18k for the year, imo, that is ridiculous.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Per unit!? By unit you mean individuals units with a subject, right? ****. How many units is there in the average subject?
Reply 39
£95 per unit

Posted from TSR Mobile

Surely it would be free? Never heard of it costing that much even for mature students who do alevels.. prices I've see are around the 3k mark..

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending