The Student Room Group

I'm scared for my AS Levels

I would like to do Medicine but there have been so many bad things this past year that have affected me and thus my grades. Despite 3 deaths and just being generally unhappy at my Sixth form, everyone expects 4 A's from me which I know from the exams that it won't be. I'm scared of disappointing everyone including myself but more so I'm scared of not making the grades to be able to apply for my dream course (Medicine) as I have EVERYTHING else to make a strong application.

Any Advice?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Everyone's scared, it's natural. No point panicking until after Results' day though.
Original post by WannaBMedStudent
I would like to do Medicine but there have been so many bad things this past year that have affected me and thus my grades. Despite 3 deaths and just being generally unhappy at my Sixth form, everyone expects 4 A's from me which I know from the exams that it won't be. I'm scared of disappointing everyone including myself but more so I'm scared of not making the grades to be able to apply for my dream course (Medicine) as I have EVERYTHING else to make a strong application.

Any Advice?

Stay strong. You will get there I promise you! just do what you have to do when the time comes! You prob did fine! talk to you friends or family members about it-it can relieve the stress :smile:
Reply 3
when applying for medicine YOU DON'T NEED 4A's!
most universities only really look at your A2 Predictions, so get reasonable grades for your teachers to predict the crucial AAA universities want to see.

personally I got AABB (with a B in Chemistry!) and managed to get 2 offers for medicine,
Similarly my friend got ABBB and in fact got 3 out of 4 offers!
Just make sure you smash the UKCAT and have a brilliant personal statement.

No point fretting over AS grades now, there is literally nothing you can do about it. If you're that scared, start preparing for your A2s now.

Any Advice?

If you don't get the grades necessary and you are sure you want to do medicine then I would say bite the bullet and just retake the year despite the scrutiny you may receive from your friends or family.
Unis will take extenuating circumstances into account. And don't worry about everyone else's expectations- it's your life, and where you choose to take it is up to you. Perhaps talk through your worries with people you are scared of disappointing, and as for being scared of disappointing yourself, don't be! You still have a chance to turn things around even if your AS results don't go as planned- resits or even a 3rd year would not rule you out on Uni, especially if you prove your dedication with everything else that makes up a great application- work experience, wider reading, etc. I'm sorry to hear you had such a tough year, but you can get through it and everything will work out better than you think.
we're all shizzing right now dw..
Original post by OrionMusicNet
If you don't get the grades necessary and you are sure you want to do medicine then I would say bite the bullet and just retake the year despite the scrutiny you may receive from your friends or family.

Don't retake...
Original post by maggie43
Don't retake...

Why not? If you don't get the grades you want and you don't want to do anything else apart from that one thing you want to do then wouldn't it be best to retake (depending on how "bad" you results are).
Original post by RagaZ
most universities only really look at your A2 Predictions, so get reasonable grades for your teachers to predict the crucial AAA universities want to see.

personally I got AABB (with a B in Chemistry!) and managed to get 2 offers for medicine,

No point fretting over AS grades now, there is literally nothing you can do about it. If you're that scared, start preparing for your A2s now.

I've heard this but I still am scared I won't get grades to be predicted A's next year either. Nonetheless my parents still want 4 A's :/
sorry I personally would just resit the modules in A2
Original post by RagaZ

If universities only look at predictions, do AS exams actually matter? :confused:

I would actually consider it but my parents will not let me under any circumstances. It's pride I think but they'd rather me go to Uni and do something else than me retake the year and apply next year so I'd consider doing Biomedical sciences or maybe even going abroad
Original post by Fleming1928
If universities only look at predictions, do AS exams actually matter? :confused:

They are what your A2 predictions are based on. You can't be predicted A*'s with 4 U's at AS lol but some Unis ask for it anyways
I would actually consider it but my parents will not let me under any circumstances. It's pride I think but they'd rather me go to Uni and do something else than me retake the year and apply next year so I'd consider doing Biomedical sciences or maybe even going abroad

Well do you have any sort of prediction for how you think you have done? Just to get an idea because for some people "bad" is AABB or ABBB but for others "bad" could be CDD or DDE.
Reply 15
Original post by Fleming1928

in terms of uni applications, generally no. However they are still important.
They help your teachers give credible predictions for the A2 year
They help you decide which subjects to drop (if any...i dropped physics)
The AS grades still count for 50% of the whole ALEVEL, so if you take a cavalier approach to AS exams then it will be significantly harder for you to get good grades during A2.
Well do you have any sort of prediction for how you think you have done? Just to get an idea because for some people "bad" is AABB or ABBB but for others "bad" could be CDD or DDE.

Based on the exams I'm HOPING for AABC which I could still just about apply for Medicine? (The C being in Physics which I am dropping)

But I'm scared it could turn out to be ABCD or ACDD or even worse.

I've had dreams of getting bad grades recently- I was nothing like this last year knowing I was in for A's and A*'s :/
Original post by RagaZ
x

x

Thank you :biggrin:
Based on the exams I'm HOPING for AABC which I could still just about apply for Medicine? (The C being in Physics which I am dropping)

But I'm scared it could turn out to be ABCD or ACDD or even worse.

I've had dreams of getting bad grades recently- I was nothing like this last year knowing I was in for A's and A*'s :/

Well it sounds like your predictions are still in a range where you could still apply for medicine and if not that still a solid course at a good uni. When worrying about results its very easy to think the worst but you can honestly be very surprised on results day. I can't say for a fact that you will exceed your predictions on results day but chances are you will probably do better than you had excepted or atleast well enough that you can still apply to a good uni (assuming your teachers sort of like you and will give fairly nice predictions despite the grades). For now though just think about the worst case scenario and what options you have if it were to happen. Possibly visualising in your head walking to pick up your results and seeing the worst case scenario will make you less stressed / panicked.
Well it sounds like your predictions are still in a range where you could still apply for medicine and if not that still a solid course at a good uni. When worrying about results its very easy to think the worst but you can honestly be very surprised on results day. I can't say for a fact that you will exceed your predictions on results day but chances are you will probably do better than you had excepted or atleast well enough that you can still apply to a good uni (assuming your teachers sort of like you and will give fairly nice predictions despite the grades). For now though just think about the worst case scenario and what options you have if it were to happen. Possibly visualising in your head walking to pick up your results and seeing the worst case scenario will make you less stressed / panicked.

Thanks for the solid advice! I'll defo post to update everyone how it went but the most difficult part for me isn't how well I do but more how people close to me will react and think BUT I need to get over that.

Quick Reply

Latest