The Student Room Group

Meeting up with someone from Tinder

Hi,
I recently created a tinder account because I was bored and I also wanted to see what all of the fuss is about. I used it for about three weeks before getting fed up of all of the thirsty people on there. I never created the account with the intention of actually meeting up with somebody from there because I have extremely bad anxiety, I can't handle meeting up with friends, let alone a stranger!
During the three weeks I spoke to a few guys and there were a lot of nice people on there and one stood out.
We exchanged numbers and added each other on Facebook and have been speaking for around two/three weeks now and he seems like a really nice guy and we have loads of the same interests and get on really well. The problem is, that he really wants to meet up. I have briefly explained about my anxiety and he doesn't seem to see the problem with it.
Another thing is, I think that I look slightly different and thinner in my pictures, I don't deliberately try to look skinnier, it's just the angle I take selfies from and I do have full body pictures on my Instagram and I don't try to hide the fact that I am a bigger girl but I just think it looks that way in FB pictures etc. I don't know whether it's just me being harsh on myself or something because I do suffer with low self esteem quite a bit and as I have mentioned, suffer with anxiety and have had depression in the past but I just want someone else's opinion or if anyone has been through the same thing as me. It's probably important that you know that I'm around a size UK 12 in clothing and am around 5 ft 3-4
Reply 1
Your dress size isn't important at all, it doesn't define you :smile: You haven't edited the photos to deceive anyone technically it's not like you're a catfish. If you have the same interests then i'd say go for it, you might get along really well. Meet somewhere open though like a coffee shop to get to know eachother :smile: (stay on the safe side, this is Tinder after all - go with someone until you know it's definitely him in there and not a 50 year old man)
Reply 2
I was in a really similar situation to you a couple months ago!
I suffer from anxiety as well, and meeting strangers is incredibly difficult for me of course.
But i went on tinder for the same reason as you really, just to see what the fuss was about, and one guy completely stood out from the rest and after exchanging numbers and speaking on facebook for around 3 weeks i eventually plucked up the courage to go for it and meet him.
Here i am two months later in an amazing relationship with him!
So my advice is to just go for it,push yourself a bit and see what happens; im so glad i did!
Make sure to bring a concealed shotgun just in case a Buffalo Bill type incident takes place :afraid:
Reply 4
Thank you all for being so kind!!
I think that's what it is, I just need that kick up the bum! what's the worst that can happen right?
He said it's up to me what we do, but I have no idea!
I also have no idea what i'll do if I don't like him/or the situation is really awkward :s-smilie:
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
Thank you all for being so kind!!
I think that's what it is, I just need that kick up the bum! what's the worst that can happen right?
He said it's up to me what we do, but I have no idea!
I also have no idea what i'll do if I don't like him/or the situation is really awkward :s-smilie:

Maybe do something relaxing like go for a walk :smile: Take the pressure off as you can look around and stuff :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by nyancats
Maybe do something relaxing like go for a walk :smile: Take the pressure off as you can look around and stuff :smile:

Yeah that would be cool, I live near a beach so we could meet there!
Reply 7
Original post by _demimc_
I was in a really similar situation to you a couple months ago!
I suffer from anxiety as well, and meeting strangers is incredibly difficult for me of course.
But i went on tinder for the same reason as you really, just to see what the fuss was about, and one guy completely stood out from the rest and after exchanging numbers and speaking on facebook for around 3 weeks i eventually plucked up the courage to go for it and meet him.
Here i am two months later in an amazing relationship with him!
So my advice is to just go for it,push yourself a bit and see what happens; im so glad i did!

I'm so glad someone is in the same situation as me! What was it like?! How did it go!!
Reply 8
Original post by Anonymous
Yeah that would be cool, I live near a beach so we could meet there!

Yeah that would be nice! Relaxing.. and when you're less nervous, end the day off with a nice drink somewhere? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending