The Student Room Group

2016 Consulting summer internships/Graduate scheme

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lsp96
There were 7 this summer...

What was the breakdown of unis represented?

EDIT: Did you feel you bonded with the intern class more because of the lower number of people? How much real work did you do vs busywork?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by lsp96

No there were 10
Reply 182
Original post by consultingdude
No there were 10

You may be right, all I know is that when I last saw one of the interns at Mck this year, they told me there were 7 of them but that was before they started so they could have been wrong. Either way, 7-10 is not a lot compared to say Deloitte/Pwc
No there were 10

how do you know that?
Original post by welcometoib
how do you know that?

I was at discover mckinsey and went for their summer reunion and met the summer interns
I was at discover mckinsey and went for their summer reunion and met the summer interns

ah right, do you know what the other top firms intake was? mind pming with your general profile too? youre extremely strong as a candidate haha
Original post by AC1995
Pretty much everyone else there has 3 or more A*s at A2 or 45/45 in the IB. You'd have to be pretty exceptional (or be able to offer other services) to get an offer...

3A*s? Is that a fact?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is it even worth me applying to MBB/Wyman from Warwick Business School? (A*AA with a B at A-level)

What about Roland Berger / Mercer?
Original post by Whispering Way
Is it even worth me applying to MBB/Wyman from Warwick Business School? (A*AA with a B at A-level)

ofc you should, they are the best in the world, why wouldnt you?

RB and LEK and mercer all are excellent too, what do you have to lose?
Original post by Whispering Way

Just apply mate.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 190
Original post by lsp96

No there were 10

Can second the above that there were 10 summer interns this year at McK which was apparently a very large intake compared to normal. Can't remember the breakdown of unis, I know one of them was at Princeton - was also on Discover 2015 and the reunion a couple weeks ago.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by welcometoib
ah right, do you know what the other top firms intake was? mind pming with your general profile too? youre extremely strong as a candidate haha

I only know Mckinsey as I was there haha, I'm LSE Econ going into third year :smile:
Original post by AC1995
Going by LinkedIn, yeah. Given the number of places they have they could easily fill their internships with people with 5A*s or more if they really wanted to.

When they rejected me for the internship, they said that they were impressed with my academic achievements but I have a*aa.

I guess they might just say the same thing to all rejects...
Reply 193
Original post by cooldudeman
3A*s? Is that a fact?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by AC1995
Going by LinkedIn, yeah. Given the number of places they have they could easily fill their internships with people with 5A*s or more if they really wanted to.

Original post by AC1995
Weird - the email they sent for the Discover rejection didn't say anything like that and didn't even tell me to reapply. There was a uni workshop I applied to a while ago and they had the 'impressed with your CV' nonsense but no mention of grades haha. Didn't quite get A*AA at A2 though, so that might explain why haha.

That is just BS. Yes a lot of McK people will have stellar grades like that but you can get in just fine without them. I have met people there from unis like Birmingham, Exeter, Bristol etc who didn't have straight A*s, it really isn't much of a step up having those top grades.

For the record I got on Discover without any A*s at A level and only 1 at GCSE, they won't care whether you have AAA or A*A*A, they get that you're academic by that point, it's all about what other experience you have and everything else. Stop worrying about A level grades and work to get good uni grades, awesome ECs and work experience.
PwC's 2016 internships are being put up now guys (don't think they're all up yet though). I'm torn between applying either for Tech Consulting or Management, but I need to do some numerical practice tests first before I apply anyway.
Original post by SJU1
That is just BS. Yes a lot of McK people will have stellar grades like that but you can get in just fine without them. I have met people there from unis like Birmingham, Exeter, Bristol etc who didn't have straight A*s, it really isn't much of a step up having those top grades.

For the record I got on Discover without any A*s at A level and only 1 at GCSE, they won't care whether you have AAA or A*A*A, they get that you're academic by that point, it's all about what other experience you have and everything else. Stop worrying about A level grades and work to get good uni grades, awesome ECs and work experience.

Wow you met someone from Birmingham! Lol that gives me hope.

But they obly hire like 20 graduates a year don't they? Now that is just demotivating.
Original post by dlaiden
PwC's 2016 internships are being put up now guys (don't think they're all up yet though). I'm torn between applying either for Tech Consulting or Management, but I need to do some numerical practice tests first before I apply anyway.

not sure how similar it will be, but when I applied for an Industrial Placement with PwC (got rejected after the tests) the numerical and logical reasoning were fairly easy compared to practice ones, however the personality questionnaire is a bit of a nightmare. (it was the personality questionnaire that got me rejected, I got the rating of 'competent' for the two tests) so just be prepared for that.
Reply 197
Original post by AC1995
Alright - that was an oversight on my part. Should have said a large proportion as opposed to pretty much everyone else. Bear in mind that this is for this year's summer internship. Not Discover or grad job. Like you said there are only 10 interns and there must be more than 10 people with 5A*s at A2 per year.

There may be many people from those universities, but they've done something to set them apart whether it be in terms of extra-curricular activities or work experience. Guessing the same in your case?

All things being equal (experience, personality etc.) they would go for the person with the better grades.

Like what SJU1 said, too late to change A-level results, so focus on other things that will make you stand out.

I think you're missing the point - who cares about whether the candidate has 5A*s or only 1!? By your logic, there are candidates who have equal work experience, extra curriculars AND personality? Come on get a grip, you're seriously telling me that after 2 rounds of interviews, totalling around 6 - 8 in total, there are going to be people who are equal? Of course not.

At the end of the day, so long as you ideally have AAA or higher at A level, you won't be rejected wholly because of your grades. Having 5A*s will of course help, but it won't get anyone the job and it certainly won't be a deal breaker between candidate X and candidate Y.

Wow you met someone from Birmingham! Lol that gives me hope.

But they obly hire like 20 graduates a year don't they? Now that is just demotivating.

Yes I met someone from Birmingham.

It's nearer 30 usually but yeah it isn't a huge number.
Original post by SJU1
I think you're missing the point - who cares about whether the candidate has 5A*s or only 1!? By your logic, there are candidates who have equal work experience, extra curriculars AND personality? Come on get a grip, you're seriously telling me that after 2 rounds of interviews, totalling around 6 - 8 in total, there are going to be people who are equal? Of course not.

At the end of the day, so long as you ideally have AAA or higher at A level, you won't be rejected wholly because of your grades. Having 5A*s will of course help, but it won't get anyone the job and it certainly won't be a deal breaker between candidate X and candidate Y.

Yes I met someone from Birmingham.

It's nearer 30 usually but yeah it isn't a huge number.

What exactly are considered as good EC activities to have on your cv for these prestigious firms?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 199
What exactly are considered as good EC activities to have on your cv for these prestigious firms?

Posted from TSR Mobile

President of a society, starting your own society, running a business, university level sport, winning competitions in things, etc it can be anything.

Quick Reply

Latest