The Student Room Group
Students outside, University of Hertfordshire
University of Hertfordshire
Hatfield
Visit website

You may not proceed to the next stage...

So I've just got this email saying "you may not proceed to the next stage of my Honours programme because you have not passed the necessary number of credits".

I'm currently a Year 2 student in BSc Hons, sadly I have failed 2 modules this year. According to what my classmates said I can not fail more than 2 modules in the year, but now I'm with 2 failed, and I've got this e-mail. Does that mean I will have to repeat the whole year? Or I can carry on to Year 3 with 2 re-enroll modules?

Here is the whole E-mail content:

2014-2015 ASSESSMENTS Further to the meeting of the Board of Examiners, it was recommended that you may not proceed to the next stage of your Honours programme because you have not passed the necessary number of credits. The Board of Examiners recommends, on academic grounds, that you re-enrol in September on the failed modules (FREN) as shown in your results on StudyNet. A FREN grade means that you must repeat the whole module (ie exam and coursework) next year. However, whilst not recommended, you are entitled to progress on the Unclassified degree. On completion of your unclassified degree you may then be able to top up to an Honours degree by an additional year of study. Please note that any modules you will be retaking will be capped at 40% for the purposes of calculating your classification. Your transcript will, however, show the actual grade you achieve.

Thank you for reading all these
hi,

what is means is if you repeat the modules in year 3 but you're finally degree won't be "with Honours" from my understanding.

Maybe contact you're programme tutor if they aren't on annual leave and discusses what to do
Students outside, University of Hertfordshire
University of Hertfordshire
Hatfield
Visit website
Reply 2
Thank you for your reply, I think my tutor is currently on a leave, haven't receive any reply yet, and I hope you're right! The last thing I want is to spend a year just to retake the 2 failed modules.
Original post by kaki413
So I've just got this email saying "you may not proceed to the next stage of my Honours programme because you have not passed the necessary number of credits".

I'm currently a Year 2 student in BSc Hons, sadly I have failed 2 modules this year. According to what my classmates said I can not fail more than 2 modules in the year, but now I'm with 2 failed, and I've got this e-mail. Does that mean I will have to repeat the whole year? Or I can carry on to Year 3 with 2 re-enroll modules?

Here is the whole E-mail content:

2014-2015 ASSESSMENTS Further to the meeting of the Board of Examiners, it was recommended that you may not proceed to the next stage of your Honours programme because you have not passed the necessary number of credits. The Board of Examiners recommends, on academic grounds, that you re-enrol in September on the failed modules (FREN) as shown in your results on StudyNet. A FREN grade means that you must repeat the whole module (ie exam and coursework) next year. However, whilst not recommended, you are entitled to progress on the Unclassified degree. On completion of your unclassified degree you may then be able to top up to an Honours degree by an additional year of study. Please note that any modules you will be retaking will be capped at 40% for the purposes of calculating your classification. Your transcript will, however, show the actual grade you achieve.

Thank you for reading all these

You have two choices. The first is that you resit those modules next year but they will be capped at 40% for the sake of calculating your degree. You transcript however will show your new marks for each of those modules.

The second is that you continue without repeating those modules. If you do that you can have a degree but you will not get your honours. This is essentially a dead end and will limit your future choices. You'll have no classification. You can however then add an additional year to your course to regain the honours part.

So either way you are going to need to do an additonal year. You need to decide whether to repeat those modules to keep your honours, or to continue and receive an ordinary degree and then top up.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by ParadoxSocks
You have two choices. The first is that you resit those modules next year but they will be capped at 40% for the sake of calculating your degree. You transcript however will show your new marks for each of those modules.

The second is that you continue without repeating those modules. If you do that you can have a degree but you will not get your honours. This is essentially a dead end and will limit your future choices. You'll have no classification. You can however then add an additional year to your course to regain the honours part.

So either way you are going to need to do an additonal year. You need to decide whether to repeat those modules to keep your honours, or to continue and receive an ordinary degree and then top up.

Posted from TSR Mobile

But can I resit those modules along with my year3 modules? This is my biggest concern...they are not really asking me to repeat 2modules in the whole year right? That will be complete waste of time.
Original post by kaki413
But can I resit those modules along with my year3 modules? This is my biggest concern...they are not really asking me to repeat 2modules in the whole year right? That will be complete waste of time.

It sounds like you may not be able to progress to level 6 without those modules being completed. You have effectively failed your second year and passing it will have been a requirement for progressing to your full final year. Sometimes you're allowed to progress to final year with your resits but your workload will increase dramatically.

However, this is all up to your individual university. Some may allowed it. Some will not. You need to contact somebody at your university for advice. You need to see what they suggest.
Perhaps you need to repeat the modules again and hopefully you will

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by ParadoxSocks
It sounds like you may not be able to progress to level 6 without those modules being completed. You have effectively failed your second year and passing it will have been a requirement for progressing to your full final year. Sometimes you're allowed to progress to final year with your resits but your workload will increase dramatically.

However, this is all up to your individual university. Some may allowed it. Some will not. You need to contact somebody at your university for advice. You need to see what they suggest.

Thank you for your advice!
Original post by kaki413

ParadoxSocks is right, they aren't offering you the option to retake the modules alongside your 3rd year.

They are saying either you can re-enrol next year and just retake the modules you failed, coursework and exams, and if you pass, enter the 3rd year the year after, and graduate with an honours degree.

Or you can forget the failed exams and go on to the 3rd year in October, but you won't graduate with an Honours degree, just an Ordinary degree (which isn't worth much to employers). You may be able to do a top up year somewhere to get an Honours degree.

So if you want an Honours degree, and an Ordinary isn't worth much, then it makes sense to resit the 2 modules next year and maybe work alongside to get some savings for your 3rd year in 16/17.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending